Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into new edge mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx into new edge mustang

Ok so I have been researching countless hours on swapping a LS motor into my 02 v6 mustang. I am kind of coming up with some blank spaces and am not finding all the info that I need so I figured this place seems like you guys are pretty knowledgeable.

To start if anyone has a link to a how to thread for a 99-04 mustang I would really appreciate it.

I am on a budget at this point and looking to spend under 5k on everything with selling off the old v6 stuff. I am hoping to get motor in and then I can worry about modding motor in the future.

The plan for the car. I am looking at finding a used 6.0L Iron block motor with front accessories and heads. I then want to find a used T56 out of a camaro or trans am. Now here are some things I am having difficulties with?

If I get a Iron block motor that is from an auto the crankshaft will not have a hole for the pilot bearing for the T56 what do I go about doing this? Researching it I see people have drilled their crankshafts but I am not sure if this is close enough to not cause a balance issue?

My next question is what is the best and cheapest crossmember to use? I looked at Team Z I think and it was like $290 or something like that. I also saw they had some mustang swap LS Longtubes for like $450 I think which was not too bad.

What does everyone do for the wiring? I am assuming that you have to get the harness and PCM from the 6.0l to use. Now how does this work because doesn't the harness control fuel pump and everything and what happens inside the mustang. My biggest thing is I would like to keep my radio and fan controls inside and lights alll working I can deal with putting autometer gauges in where my cluster is but if I could use my cluster that would be awesome!!! What about as far as ignition switch and the PATS system on the mustang what does everyone do with this. I am not dumb by anymeans have 4 yrs of professional automotive experience working at a GM dealership until I quit and changed careers recently but have never attempted a swap like this.

What about fuel system. The mustang uses returnless like the LS1 or LS6 intake is setup for that would be used with my 6.0L but how do I do that with the ford fuel pump driver and ford PCM?

The t56 trans can that work with the factory mustang clutch pedal or not? If not what needs to be done. I know the ford clutch is cable and the T56 would use a slave cylinder and be hydraulic.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I appreciate everything. I just need as much information as I can get about this swap so I can decide if I can start purchasing parts and actually handle this.

EDIT: I am also up in the air may consider a 5.3 as well but not familiar with budget power potential with them I know that they are everywhere. I am wanting around 350-375RWHP area since it is my DD but not sure what would be cheapest so thats another question. Like I said I am new to modding LS motors I have always been a ford guy but worked for GM and the motors are the simplest motors to work on and are reliable so I figured why not spend the money to put one of the most reliable well built engines in my car that can still make a ton of power.

Last edited by Codeman1; 03-27-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Regarding the k member i highly recommend both aje racing and team z both make great products... Can't help you with the headers though mine face forward.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Check my thread. You can look through my build and see what I did/use considering I'm 5.3/t56 and have done all of what you are asking I'm only 3500$ into the build.

Link
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...t-5-3-t56.html
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going to be starting my second New edge swap shortly.For wiring there are a couple of vendors on here that sell kits. Your radio and lights will still work as normal. Heater will still work as long as you plumb it and hook up the vacc. source.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks. So I am still unsure on the fuel pump setup. Basically do you add a vette filter at the tank??? I see you said you made return style while what did you do to tank to have the return line coming in?

Any links to vendors for the kits for wiring? I am not sure what all is involved. I am assuming you have to wire it up to fuel pump and ignition the GM harness that is. Also what did you do to get the clutch pedal to work for the hydraulic setup?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Codeman1
Thanks. So I am still unsure on the fuel pump setup. Basically do you add a vette filter at the tank??? I see you said you made return style while what did you do to tank to have the return line coming in?

Any links to vendors for the kits for wiring? I am not sure what all is involved. I am assuming you have to wire it up to fuel pump and ignition the GM harness that is. Also what did you do to get the clutch pedal to work for the hydraulic setup?
Yeah I drilled the tank an added a fuel cell fitting and have my vette filter in the exact location of the fuel filter on the mustang. And I had bought -6an nylon hose to run from the filter to the rail.amd I just have the pump turn on when the key is turned on.

I bought a complete ls1 camaro wiring harness and Ecu and had a local shop reflash/program the Ecu to my liking.

Clutch I just welded a 1inch square stock to the pedal and used a clutch master cylinder I had laying around and installed it on the firewall had to mess around with the location of the rod on the pedal some for optimum throw
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Ok how did you go about drilling hole in crankshaft for the pilot bearing? Also what about wiring it up any good info on wiring up the harness and stuff? It sounds to me like the physical getting the motor and trans in is the easiest part.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Ok how did you go about drilling hole in crankshaft for the pilot bearing? Also what about wiring it up any good info on wiring up the harness and stuff? It sounds to me like the physical getting the motor and trans in is the easiest part.
Drilling the crankshaft? What? I used a t56 camaro pilot bearing and a clutch master cylinder and steel braided clutch line that fit no drilling of the crank needed lol
Do some searching on the wiring. There are tons of threads on it. I had printed out a full schismatic on the year wiring harness and ecuband cross referenced it on what wires needed to be hooked up on a website that I found.
Not much too it. 2 wires needed constant 12v power another needed a switched 12v. (Depending on what harness you get)
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Ok well I was under the impression that unless you did a LS1 you have to drill out crankshaft to accept the pilot bearing for the T56? I can't remember from work when we had motors out of trucks if the cranks had a hole for pilot bearing or not?

Also on fuel setup you run return style setup so then do you need to get a different fuel rail? I was looking at running a LS1 or LS6 manifold with the 5.3 whatever I could get cheapest and need to do research on what is better but I was under impression they came from factory returnless so you must need a different rail? I know older trucks were return style setups. Also on the fuel topic did you run factory ford fuel pump or do I need to step up for more flow? Also I am assuming for wiring you just wire it up so PCM has control of fuel pump. I found a good site for info someone on a mustang forum linked me that they used for wiring up their PCM and harness from GM engine.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate this.

EDIT: Ok so doing more research on pilot bearing. I may have been mistaken. Can someone let me know if you can buy a pilot bearing for a say 99-02 camaro with a t56 and put it into your 5.3 crankshaft without any modifications?

Also what sesnors does a camaro t56 have on it and can you get that to work with a 5.3 truck harness if the harness is modified to be standalone?

Last edited by Codeman1; 03-28-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Ok well I was under the impression that unless you did a LS1 you have to drill out crankshaft to accept the pilot bearing for the T56? I can't remember from work when we had motors out of trucks if the cranks had a hole for pilot bearing or not?

Also on fuel setup you run return style setup so then do you need to get a different fuel rail? I was looking at running a LS1 or LS6 manifold with the 5.3 whatever I could get cheapest and need to do research on what is better but I was under impression they came from factory returnless so you must need a different rail? I know older trucks were return style setups. Also on the fuel topic did you run factory ford fuel pump or do I need to step up for more flow? Also I am assuming for wiring you just wire it up so PCM has control of fuel pump. I found a good site for info someone on a mustang forum linked me that they used for wiring up their PCM and harness from GM engine.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate this.

EDIT: Ok so doing more research on pilot bearing. I may have been mistaken. Can someone let me know if you can buy a pilot bearing for a say 99-02 camaro with a t56 and put it into your 5.3 crankshaft without any modifications?

Also what sesnors does a camaro t56 have on it and can you get that to work with a 5.3 truck harness if the harness is modified to be standalone?

Nah I just went and got a pilot bearing for a 99+ camaro with t56,

I have ls1 intake mani. Injectors and rails from a Fbody.

My mustangs fuel pump went out when I had the 4.6. So it has a fresh mustang pump. It'll work(obviously) I just tapped into power in the trunk that gave me keyed on power. And ran a relay back there to kick the pump on when I turn the key.

And for your last question about the truck harness and t56. You would need to have a wire ran to the vss so that the Ecu will know what's going on.
I just ended up getting a manual camaro harness that had all the plugs on it so I didn't have to worry about that.

If you have any questions you can pm me anytime.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks.

EDIT: Ok quick question what kind of power can you make with a 5.3 NA. How about simple mild to moderate cam swap behind a 6 spd what could be expected for some rough RWHP numbers?

Last edited by Codeman1; 03-28-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Ok thanks.

EDIT: Ok quick question what kind of power can you make with a 5.3 NA. How about simple mild to moderate cam swap behind a 6 spd what could be expected for some rough RWHP numbers?
Well with people making around 600whp on stock block stock heads and a zo6 cam through autos. It's possible to be around that number. Depends on what turbo you get. What fuel. Psi etc etc.

Do some searching on YouTube. Look in the forced induction on here and see what other people are making.

Last edited by tired2valve; 03-28-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Ok well what about NA? I am thinking I am running a 4l60e now just since they are more common and easier to come by and get it to get in the vehicle.

So how much NA hp could you realistically get with a moderate cam and ported heads on a 5.3 with a LS1 intake and LTs and exhaust? Also what are some good moderate cam specs?

I am in the process of finding a smashed up 01-07 K truck with a 5.3 so I can pull harness, engine, and trans.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Ok well what about NA? I am thinking I am running a 4l60e now just since they are more common and easier to come by and get it to get in the vehicle.

So how much NA hp could you realistically get with a moderate cam and ported heads on a 5.3 with a LS1 intake and LTs and exhaust? Also what are some good moderate cam specs?

I am in the process of finding a smashed up 01-07 K truck with a 5.3 so I can pull harness, engine, and trans.
You'll be close to 350-400 if you raise the compression some you can squeeze some more out of it
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Ok another question I have been looking at manual trans also do LT1 t56s bolt up to LS style engines? Or is it a different bellhousing?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Ok another question I have been looking at manual trans also do LT1 t56s bolt up to LS style engines? Or is it a different bellhousing?
Completely different. There's a write up how to convert.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Default Ls mustang fuel set up ?

Originally Posted by tired2valve
Yeah I drilled the tank an added a fuel cell fitting and have my vette filter in the exact location of the fuel filter on the mustang. And I had bought -6an nylon hose to run from the filter to the rail.amd I just have the pump turn on when the key is turned on.

I bought a complete ls1 camaro wiring harness and Ecu and had a local shop reflash/program the Ecu to my liking.

Clutch I just welded a 1inch square stock to the pedal and used a clutch master cylinder I had laying around and installed it on the firewall had to mess around with the location of the rod on the pedal some for optimum throw
So I'm building a ls new edge mustang just stock 4 now. I'm running in to the fuel system problems. Bn there isnt a return on the factory v6 mustang.i seen a guy that said he drilled the tank and put a -6 fuel cell fitting. Where on the tank did u end up drilling for ur return line? Because my buddy is trying to get me to drill into the tip of the sending unit, his reason bn less metal material getting to fuel lines and injectors? I'm new to all this stuff so I was just wondering what u guys thought.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide_Open_Junkie420
So I'm building a ls new edge mustang just stock 4 now. I'm running in to the fuel system problems. Bn there isnt a return on the factory v6 mustang.i seen a guy that said he drilled the tank and put a -6 fuel cell fitting. Where on the tank did u end up drilling for ur return line? Because my buddy is trying to get me to drill into the tip of the sending unit, his reason bn less metal material getting to fuel lines and injectors? I'm new to all this stuff so I was just wondering what u guys thought.
this is how i handled the fuel system

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post19935677

Quick Reply: LSx into new edge mustang