Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking prior to start up? (GTO oil pan)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking prior to start up? (GTO oil pan)

I posted this on the GTO section but I got no response so I'll try my luck on my trusty "conversions" section

Long story short as possible, this is an LQ4 conversion into a Ford using the GTO pan. I just got the engine installed with a nicely prepped and proper torqued oil pan with no cracks etc.

I added 6 quarts and everything was looking good, 1/2 way up on the dipstick etc. This engine isn't ready to run yet (not wired) so it never has even been fired up with this pan installed. I just added the oil through the passenger side valve cover.

I went out to the garage last night and honestly there is at least 1 quart or more has leaked out onto the floor............ I jacked it up and was looking and it, and its hard to tell but the bottom of the pan is 100% bone dry, it looks like its leaking out where the normal location for the oil would be for a regular pan. (driver side rear) Where the 2 plugs are located at the top of the pan. the boss thing that bolts up to the actual pan. That make sense?

Anyway I'll look at it alot better tonight but I figured I'd ask you guys first. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

The oil you poured in may have made its way into the passages going to those areas. Make sure the plugs/plates are tight.

I've never seen a GTO pan up close, but most of the LS trucks I've been under at work leak around the filter area. The cooler lines or block off plates are usually the culprit.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what it sounds like, you don't have the cover bolted onto your pan? Anyway to snap a picture?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Are you talking about the oil bypass block? If so, are you sure there's a gasket on it? That's a lot of oil to leak over night with out the engine even running.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Update: all 3 of you are correct. The bypass plugs are tight but there are 2 bolt holes that the block off would bolt to that are not blind holes, they go all the way through into the pan itself........ so I put 2 bolts in and the mega leak stopped

I robbed a gasket from my C5 pan and the block off that has the oil temp sensor in it as well but I think I'll just make a flat plate, it looks better.

Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not use a block off plate.. I would just pick up one of the OEM bypass plates... I have never heard of anyone just blocking it off. ?

BC
Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

DO NOT BLOCK IT OFF!

That is the way oil gets from the pump to the rest of the block. You need a bypass (or cooler) between those ports. You can use a factory bypass or you can mill a slot into a plate to form the oil passage, but you MUST have oil flow from one port to the other, in an unrestricted manner.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

I know what you mean but its got 2 allen pipe plugs in both the galley holes already from GM so I figured it wouldn't matter but I understand what you're saying for sure

Here is what i mean, my pan didn't have the 2 bolts next to the pipe plugs so the oil just poured out... you've got to remember on this particular pan that internally it transfers the oil to the front and then goes through the filter and yes I agree I shouldn't block off those ports. See below
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Okay I retract my statement. Sorry I was not familiar with the GTO pan. It appears those rear ports can be plugged and should not be connected by a bypass.

See this photo comparing a GTO Pan with a more typical LS1 pan. The oil is routed to/from the front-positioned oil filter and bypass from the rear ports on the block.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

yep you nailed it
Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Since the bolts were missing you need to remove the pan and have a look inside the pan. There are three of the gaskets used in the GTO pan like what is behind the block off plate near the filter. One outside and two inside. If you don't have the one inside (held in place by the missing bolts) you will have an internal oil leak and not pressurize the galleries. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking the samething. I've had this pan off and cleaned it really good but I can't remember what it looked like inside in that area, so I agree it'll be coming off.

BTW, lets say that internal gasket is missing or laying inside etc, and upon fire up its leaking internally. would there be any oil pressure at all? or at least it would show up as low oil psi right?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Depends on how bad the leak is. The worse the leak is the lower pressure you will have. You may be able to look into the ports and see if you can see it in there or not.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking prior to start up? (GTO oil pan)