Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah its really close to the same on both sides. I installed the drivers header and it clears everything. I need to get the transmission in and see where places the engine. It may move the oil pan closer to the steering and I may have a clearance issue. There is clearance at the front of the pan good its just at the sides where the ridetech bracket bends that may cause the clearance issues.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-1620649_10152000599152705_849948205_n.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by cwylie
Yeah its really close to the same on both sides. I installed the drivers header and it clears everything. I need to get the transmission in and see where places the engine. It may move the oil pan closer to the steering and I may have a clearance issue. There is clearance at the front of the pan good its just at the sides where the ridetech bracket bends that may cause the clearance issues.
Do you have the Hooker engine mount kit installed? If so, the transmission installation won't change the fore/aft movement of the engine. Either way, your worst-case situation would be to just have to clip off the front corners of the pan and close them in with some 1/4" aluminum plate (which I'll weld for you if you need). Should you choose/need to go that route, you will end up with more oil capacity than what you will have with the Mast pan due to its shorter sump length, and have the structural connection to the transmission that only the OE and Holley pans offer. It seems at least that you will have definite install options with either the Mast or Holley pans, which is good news for everyone who has been interested in running this combination of parts.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Yeah the engine mounts are installed but I just have a 2x4 between the rear of the engine and firewall currently to support it so my angles may be off by a little. If there is a clearance issue it looks like it will just be the corners of the pan like you said. I hopefully can wrestle the transmission and crossmember in tonight and find out for sure.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah the engine mounts are installed but I just have a 2x4 between the rear of the engine and firewall currently to support it so my angles may be off by a little. If there is a clearance issue it looks like it will just be the corners of the pan like you said. I hopefully can wrestle the transmission and crossmember in tonight and find out for sure.
Sounds like you're well on your way...good luck to you.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I have an update. I didnt get the transmission in as I didnt have anyone to help me bench press it in but I do think the pan is going to clear. It may take a little grinding on the steering adapter or/and oil pan but not much. The passenger side header does have an issue though with the tie rod. Nothing a hammer will not fix but I didnt have the ***** to do it yet.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4030.jpg   New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4031.jpg   New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4032.jpg   New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4033.jpg  

Last edited by cwylie; 03-05-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so I have an update. I didnt get the transmission in as I didnt have anyone to help me bench press it in but I do think the pan is going to clear. It may take a little grinding on the steering adapter or/and oil pan but not much. The passenger side header does have an issue though with the tie rod. Nothing a hammer will not fix but I didnt have the ***** to do it yet.
I had the same scenario today.

Here are my findings I will post pics tomorrow.

1. I don't have my trans here yet to bolt in place so I'm guessing at where I think the engine will be sitting. There is a lot of flex in the motor mounts so it sags way to the back if you don't support under the oil pan.
2. With the engine sitting level, to where i think it will with the trans connected and supported by the rear crossmember, the MAST pan clears perfectly. No rubbing, plenty of room.
3. The passenger tie rod hits the tube of the header. It barely hits, but it does hit. Im not sure that during suspension travel if this will get better or worse. I too was working alone tonight so I couldn't really flex the suspension and watch to see what was happening. From what I could tell the tie rod only hit at full steering lock.

One thing that I recommend to Hooker/Holly, and maybe I'm just blind or overlooked it, the motor mount adapters need to be in the directions. I must have put the things on the block 3 different times and ways before i found the right placement and orientation. It would be very helpful if they were etched driver passenger or stickered or something.

Ill get some pics tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
One thing that I recommend to Hooker/Holly, and maybe I'm just blind or overlooked it, the motor mount adapters need to be in the directions. I must have put the things on the block 3 different times and ways before i found the right placement and orientation. It would be very helpful if they were etched driver passenger or stickered or something.

Ill get some pics tomorrow.

This and an arrow saying which way to point.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
This and an arrow saying which way to point.
I can take care of that easily enough and will amend the instructions to give better clarification of the mount orientation for future users.

Thanks guys
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I can take care of that easily enough and will amend the instructions to give better clarification of the mount orientation for future users.

Thanks guys
Good Work Todd. My trans will be here next week and ill get that mocked in place along with the crossmember and everything else then get it up on a lift and get you pictures.

Like stated above, looks like the tie rod on the passenger side is hitting the header tube. 1/8" dent in the tube and it will probably clear.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey cwylie, your reported fitment, and that of dubsilverado, has got me thinking that you probably have another option to gain suitable clearance between the right side header inner tie-rod (other than a hammer beating). That option would be to make your own custom spacer plates that bolt to the subframe under the clamshells that shift the engine and trans back just enough for the tie-rod end to clear the header tube (I'm thinking 1/4" would do it). Since you are using the Holley 302-2 pan, it would also provide you with the extra space you need to clear the Tru Turn center link completely. Check the center mounting slots in your crossmember and the clearance between your steering box and the header tubes to see if the engine and transmission can be moved back by that much and just make new adapter plates from 1/4" mild steel using the existing plates supplied by Hooker as a template to locate the 4 counter sunk screw locations and the new location for the clamshell attachement holes, which will be located 1/4" further back towards the rear of the car. Once you attach the adapter plates to the subframe you merely have to drill out the two relocated clamshell attachment holes that pass through the subframe. This might be worth your effort to investigate.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hey cwylie, your reported fitment, and that of dubsilverado, has got me thinking that you probably have another option to gain suitable clearance between the right side header inner tie-rod (other than a hammer beating). That option would be to make your own custom spacer plates that bolt to the subframe under the clamshells that shift the engine and trans back just enough for the tie-rod end to clear the header tube (I'm thinking 1/4" would do it). Since you are using the Holley 302-2 pan, it would also provide you with the extra space you need to clear the Tru Turn center link completely. Check the center mounting slots in your crossmember and the clearance between your steering box and the header tubes to see if the engine and transmission can be moved back by that much and just make new adapter plates from 1/4" mild steel using the existing plates supplied by Hooker as a template to locate the 4 counter sunk screw locations and the new location for the clamshell attachement holes, which will be located 1/4" further back towards the rear of the car. Once you attach the adapter plates to the subframe you merely have to drill out the two relocated clamshell attachment holes that pass through the subframe. This might be worth your effort to investigate.
I see what your saying. When i get my trans all bolted up I will check to see if there is room to move 1/4 and still clear everything.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

OK so I have an update. The holley 302-2 oil pan clears at least on my car. Its not by much maybe a thick piece of paper but it does clear on the passenger side and I have about an 1/8 on the drivers side.I was doing some reading on the pitman and idler arms and I guess there are some longer ones available that were use on the Z28. I need to measure which ones I have but if I do have the short ones it may give me the clearance I need.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4034.jpg   New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4035.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 AM
TECH Junkie

OK so I have an update. The holley 302-2 oil pan clears at least on my car. Its not by much maybe a thick piece of paper but it does clear on the passenger side and I have about an 1/8 on the drivers side.I was doing some reading on the pitman and idler arms and I guess there are some longer ones available that were use on the Z28. I need to measure which ones I have but if I do have the short ones it may give me the clearance I need.
That's sounds promising cwylie, you should also investigate the earlier option I presented to you as well as it will give you more clearance for the interfering right side header tube as well.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seeing those pics... Seems like some enterprising soul should mfg an offset steering crosslink bar that would clear about any pan...
Old 03-08-2014, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

So I took the plunge and dimpled the header to clear the tie rod ends. I think the 1 3/4 headers may be a better bet if you are planning to run the tru turn. It was not hard to do but it was not easy to take a hammer to a brand new set of headers. I have although seen way worse done to headers to fit steering boxes and other things on LS1 swaps. I think Todds solution could have fixed the problem as well but I liked where everything was sitting and decided to just dimple the header.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-20140307_191927.jpg   New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-20140307_191931.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

So I took the plunge and dimpled the header to clear the tie rod ends. I think the 1 3/4 headers may be a better bet if you are planning to run the tru turn. It was not hard to do but it was not easy to take a hammer to a brand new set of headers. I have although seen way worse done to headers to fit steering boxes and other things on LS1 swaps. I think Todds solution could have fixed the problem as well but I liked where everything was sitting and decided to just dimple the header.
If you get tired of looking at that dent (it's killing me already) I'll modify that tube for you if you want to send me that header and pay for the return shipping cwylie.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kills me to see that header dimpled too. Did it really need that much? I don't feel like mine hits that bad that it would need such a dimple.

On a side note, my trans will be here this coming week so I installed the T56 Holley Crossmember. I am very impressed. It looks awesome with the laser cutting, instructions were good, fitment was great, and it was super simple to install. Took about 15 minutes max. The floor clearance is excellent, it does not hang down at all beyond the subframe and it leaves a lot of room for exhaust routing. Very nice job on this piece Todd.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

This picture right here has me envisioning a Holley MidRam Intake...

Old 03-09-2014, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much of the tunnel needs to be cut for the Magnum?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
Kills me to see that header dimpled too. Did it really need that much? I don't feel like mine hits that bad that it would need such a dimple.

On a side note, my trans will be here this coming week so I installed the T56 Holley Crossmember. I am very impressed. It looks awesome with the laser cutting, instructions were good, fitment was great, and it was super simple to install. Took about 15 minutes max. The floor clearance is excellent, it does not hang down at all beyond the subframe and it leaves a lot of room for exhaust routing. Very nice job on this piece Todd.

I'm happy to hear you noticed the effort put forth on the design of the Hooker components and think you'll be equally impressed with the overall outcome once everything is installed...the Hooker decal on the front of the block is a nice touch I have to say.

Quick Reply: New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn