Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
How much of the tunnel needs to be cut for the Magnum?
I'm not exactly sure on that as we did the fit check of the T56 Magnum with the Hooker crossmember in a X-body car though we did check the LS1 T56 on both the X-body and F-body cars. Because of this, we didn't have the opportunity to properly assess the amount of actual tunnel work needed to get it installed into an F-body. You may not have to do any cutting since it appears in your photos that you have new body mounts installed...it looks like you're going in a little blind, so just take it slow. Be sure to used the spacer supplied with the crossmember as it makes up the difference in the machined height of the mounting pads on both transmissions...the pad surface on the T56 Magnum is closer to the centerline of the output shaft than the pad on the LS1 T56.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'm not exactly sure on that as we did the fit check of the T56 Magnum with the Hooker crossmember in a X-body car though we did check the LS1 T56 on both the X-body and F-body cars. Because of this, we didn't have the opportunity to properly assess the amount of actual tunnel work needed to get it installed into an F-body. You may not have to do any cutting since it appears in your photos that you have new body mounts installed...it looks like you're going in a little blind, so just take it slow. Be sure to used the spacer supplied with the crossmember as it makes up the difference in the machined height of the mounting pads on both transmissions...the pad surface on the T56 Magnum is closer to the centerline of the output shaft than the pad on the LS1 T56.
I have seen a lot of First Gen F Body cars say that no cutting other than new shifter hole is needed for the Magnum. With as low as your mounts have the engine sitting I hope this will also help with floor clearance.

I do not recall any spacer supplied with the crossmember. Did you mean to say with the pro thane mount? I know a lot of those will come with a shim of some sort.

I knew you would like that sticker on the block....
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

I have seen a lot of First Gen F Body cars say that no cutting other than new shifter hole is needed for the Magnum. With as low as your mounts have the engine sitting I hope this will also help with floor clearance.

I do not recall any spacer supplied with the crossmember. Did you mean to say with the pro thane mount? I know a lot of those will come with a shim of some sort.

I knew you would like that sticker on the block....
No, the spacer I'm referring to is one that is supposed to be packaged with the crossmember and one that we've discovered did not make it into the packaging of some of the crossmembers that went out in the first production run. I'll get one sent out to you so you can install it between the mount and your transmission to maintain the intended engine inclination angle. The shim you are thinking about is a pre-load plate that comes with the Energy suspension mount; the Prothane mount that is referenced in the Hooker instructions does not use one.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, the spacer I'm referring to is one that is supposed to be packaged with the crossmember and one that we've discovered did not make it into the packaging of some of the crossmembers that went out in the first production run. I'll get one sent out to you so you can install it between the mount and your transmission to maintain the intended engine inclination angle. The shim you are thinking about is a pre-load plate that comes with the Energy suspension mount; the Prothane mount that is referenced in the Hooker instructions does not use one.
Gotcha, ok send me that spacer please....if there was a mid ram intake in the box i wouldn't be upset.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Gotcha, ok send me that spacer please....if there was a mid ram intake in the box i wouldn't be upset.
I don't think you'd appreciate the bandsaw work I'd have to perform on that intake to get it into such a small box...that's the humor for the day.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you'd appreciate the bandsaw work I'd have to perform on that intake to get it into such a small box...that's the humor for the day.
Would be a lot easier to fit the shim in the mid ram box compared to your way
Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Would be a lot easier to fit the shim in the mid ram box compared to your way
Sure would, but it won't be as much fun.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Teching In

This system should work with an LSA motor right?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by paulk68
This system should work with an LSA motor right?
Yes, but you'll have to change out your oil pan to the Holley 302-2 pan or one of similar dimensions to clear the steering components.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

If you get tired of looking at that dent (it's killing me already) I'll modify that tube for you if you want to send me that header and pay for the return shipping cwylie.
Hey Todd, I'm thinking of going this same route, what fix would you do to the header? Can this fix be done to mine once I place the order? I don't want to dent a brand new header!

thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

I may have a solution to the header clearance issue. I am waiting for a part to show up Friday
Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackHD
Hey Todd, I'm thinking of going this same route, what fix would you do to the header? Can this fix be done to mine once I place the order? I don't want to dent a brand new header!

thanks
I would pay close attention to what cwylie comes up with in a few days that may prevent you from having to do any modifications to the tube experiencing the interference. I offered to modify the tube for cwylie as a personal favor since he signed up to be the guinea pig on this combination of parts after many messages were shared between us; it's not a service that Hooker offers, but it will be something that any other competent fabricator can also carry out for anyone else desiring the same modification. I'll post up the results so everyone can see what was done.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cwylie
I may have a solution to the header clearance issue. I am waiting for a part to show up Friday
Nice to hear
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

I would pay close attention to what cwylie comes up with in a few days that may prevent you from having to do any modifications to the tube experiencing the interference. I offered to modify the tube for cwylie as a personal favor since he signed up to be the guinea pig on this combination of parts after many messages were shared between us; it's not a service that Hooker offers, but it will be something that any other competent fabricator can also carry out for anyone else desiring the same modification. I'll post up the results so everyone can see what was done.
Thanks Todd
Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Ok I meant to put together some pictures and measurements this weekend but I never got around to it. Here is what I found out though. The stock idler arm for a 69 Camaro is 5.25 inches long center to center and this is what I originally had on my car. It cleared the 302-2 oil pan but just barely and I had to dimply the header to fit which I posted pictures of above. The moog replacement idler arms for a 68 and 69 is 5.375 inches center and center had the best clearance at the oil pan but the clearance at the passenger header was about the same. I found out the 67 used a 5.8 inch idler arm so I ordered one of those Proforged part 102-10003. The clearance at the oil pan was about the same as the 5.25 which confused me a bit because I expected it to be better but I believe this is because the 5.8 inch arm allows you to have a little more steering throw because of the longer length. With the 5.8 inch arm there is still a header clearance issue but it is less than with the shorter arms. I with my dimple I had minimum clearance with the 5.25 arm but here is pictures of the clearance with the 5.8 inch arm.

Net Net there is no solution to the holley long tubes without modification. You will either need to move the engine back a half inch or so or modify the header. The 5.8 inch idler arm from a 67 Camaro gave me the best clearance at the header but its really close at the oil pan. The 302-2 pan will fit with the tru turn setup but the steering to oil pan clearance is really close.

Stock pitman arm lengths:

Non power steering 5.25 inches
Non power steering quick ratio 5.8 inches
Power steering 5.8 inches

Stock Idler arm
67 5.8 inches
68-69 5.25 inches
Moog replacement part K6099 5.375 inches
67 replacement Proforged part 102-10003 5.8 inches

These pictures are with the holley 302-2 oil pan, holley mounts, 1 7/8 long tube headers and a 5.8 inch pitman and 5.8 inch idler arm.

Here is where I got most of my steering info:

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4074.jpg   New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4075.jpg   New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4076.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for doing all this, I am going to be in the same position, i wonder how DUB SILVERADO is making out with his Mast pan, Also doesn't hooker make shorty headers for this application as well? I wonder how those compare.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance this header has ever been tried on a car with the factory air box mounted to the firewall?

The rear two tubes turn down very close to the head, which would be necessary. If not, could you take a measurement from the outside of the tube to the centerline of the motor? Or from the outside of the tube to the inside of the frame?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by onevoice
Any chance this header has ever been tried on a car with the factory air box mounted to the firewall?

The rear two tubes turn down very close to the head, which would be necessary. If not, could you take a measurement from the outside of the tube to the centerline of the motor? Or from the outside of the tube to the inside of the frame?
Hey onevoice. No guess work will be necessary to answer your question as the factory A/C box was intentionally accommodated in the bend geometry of the headers for those that intend to use it.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey onevoice. No guess work will be necessary to answer your question as the factory A/C box was intentionally accommodated in the bend geometry of the headers for those that intend to use it.
Finally, a header that will fit my application. I will order the whole setup soon.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by onevoice
Finally, a header that will fit my application. I will order the whole setup soon.
Glad to hear it, we figured there would be a few of you guys out there wanting to run the stock A/C evaporator case...swap away my friend, both the 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" versions fit perfectly with that component.

Quick Reply: New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn