Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical/Gbody guys- replacing fusible links

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical/Gbody guys- replacing fusible links

Need your guys help, getting closer and closer for a first start up. I bought new terminals and fresh new power wire and purple starter wire for the bulkhead connector on the wire wall.

There are two red wires that come out the bulkhead for powering the fuse panel under the dashboard. One wire leads straight to a fusible link, then another wire leads straight to a fusible link but then has a splice off the fusible link that runs off to the HVAC system.

I want to replace the fusible links with inline fuses, so Im trying to figure out how many amps the red power wire with the splice to the HVAC draws so I know what size inline fuse to get.

I have a Chevrolet electrical service manual but I have no clue where the hell it disappeared to, Im sure could have answered this for me. Hoping someone either knows or has the same book that can tell me real quick so I head to parts store.

Have these avaible at local parts store

8 ga wire leads
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...p?keyword=bh73

12 ga wire leads
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...?keyword=bh106

Or go back to using fusible links and get these off the shelf ones..

Old 03-15-2014, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wire size current table:
18 gauge wire = 5-8 amps
16 gauge wire = 10-12 amps
14 gauge wire = 15-17 amps
12 gauge wire = 20-25 amps
10 gauge wire = 30-40 amps
8 gauge wire = 50-60 amps.

Fusible link colors
Link Gauge Color
20 Gauge Blue
18 Gauge Brown or Red
16 Gauge Black or Orange
14 Gauge Green
12 Gauge Gray

Keep in mind that the wire size in the chart is for the circuit itself, not the size of the fuse link. The packages of fuse link repair material you can get at the auto parts stores also will have a current rating on them.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Fusible links are supposed to be better than inline fuses so I would just replace or reuse.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Never heard that before, they just blow/melt a little slower then a fuse.

I like the ability to slap in a new fuse over having to crimp, solder, then heat shrink in another fusible link if I needed too. Just keep some spare fuses in the glove box.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 AM
TECH Junkie

fusible links are cheaper than fuses, that's why the manufactures use them.

One form of better I guess.

It is also nice to keep all the fuses in the fuse box and not sprinkled throughout the engine bay. Can't exactly do that with an alternator output wire, pretty much need it at the alternator to be effective.

I replaced the links with in line fuses also. Much easier to tell if you have a problem.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
fusible links are cheaper than fuses, that's why the manufactures use them.

One form of better I guess.

It is also nice to keep all the fuses in the fuse box and not sprinkled throughout the engine bay. Can't exactly do that with an alternator output wire, pretty much need it at the alternator to be effective.

I replaced the links with in line fuses also. Much easier to tell if you have a problem.
Fuse links tolerate current surges a lot better than a fuse. (It's like a very slow burn fuse). Your a/C circuit is capable of 30+ amps and if your melting fusible links, you have bigger problems.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Looks like I will be going with fusible link wire over the inline fuses for a few reasons.

Went to parts store and didnt like the quality of the inline fuse holders they have, looks like I would have needed the 8ga inline fuse holder they had and splice that into the area where my two 12ga red wires meet.

Then use the 12ga inline fuse holder for the other wire.

Wish delphi had terminals for 8ga wire for their fuse holder then I could use inline fuses and everything matches up.

Like these

I want to add these wires to the alternator instead of the starter like factory but at the Alt I already will have a terminal for the battery, terminal/inline fuse holder for the Racetronix fuel pump wire harness and then I wanted to add the power wires for the fuse panel to their too.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

This link has 10 pages of different fuse holders. I got one that fit the 4 gauge wire I have coming off my alternator

A few more that includes some just like your delphi connectors

This link has the delphi fuse holders you pictured. They also have fuse holders that to up to 0 gauge wire

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 03-18-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I'll check those links out.

Yea I like those much more than the other fuse holders I've seen, the weather seal and cap seems to be much better that just a lil plastic cap that flips over and that's it.

The picture I posted with the inline fuse holders, the one on left I have found multiple sites that carry them fully assembled or build your own, only up to 12ga terminals .

Other one on the right is much bigger, terminals look bigger too. I haven't came up with anything on those. Their both delphi.

Edit.... your third link didn't work, just takes me too page with the picture of the fuse holder. I'm on my phone now so maybe I will try later when I get to a computer.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Fixed the link.

I put in a 4 fuse distribution box coming off my alternator up near the radiator. One output fuse goes to the electric fans, one to feed the fuse box and a third to the battery. Connects to the alt with 4 gauge wire. Pretty sanitary, I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Quick Reply: Electrical/Gbody guys- replacing fusible links