Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan question for chevette swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan question for chevette swap

that's right, a chevette swap. I tried to drop my ls1 into it the other day to see where i would get hung up and surprisingly my only real issue was the oil pan. I had the stock f-body pan on it and it just wasnt going to cut it. I have since ordered the muscle car oil pan kit, which seems to get quite a few mixed results around here. either way it looked like it would work at least for now. HOWEVER, I'm looking for some information on changing the oil pan, windage tray and everything else. I'm just not familiar with the process and could use a clear write up. The engine is out of the car, just looking to do this right so i can try and get the engine bolted into the car before i head back to school at the end of the week!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 AM
Launching!

My concern would be ground clearance with the hotrod pan it hangs low I would
notch/mod the ls1 pan to Work
or get the Holley oil pan
IMO
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default Too much

Yes the Holley pan was enticing but way too expensive for me at this point. If I had to remedy the pan hanging too low I will cross that bridge when I get there. I was only looking for how to change everything with the pan swap.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Did your f body accessory drive clear? All the sbc swaps use the short water pump style accessories with radiator mounted to the front of the core support. Your alt may not clear frame rail. So you may be looking at changing to corvette drives.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

So far it all fit up front and needed to still go back another couple inches. Just couldn't push it back because the pan interfered with the crossmember and steering. There's no radiator in the car yet. It'll probably just get mounted in front of the core support like some guys have done. But at the same time there looks to be room as of now
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

are you modding the heater box too?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Had I been careful it may have fit without modification. However I bashed into it several times and destroyed the flimsy plastic so I'm just removing it completely
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default oil pan swap

Really pretty easy, just remove the oil pan bolts and remove the oil pan then remove the oil pump pickup tube bolt and the nut securing it to the windage tray then remove it from the oil pump, now remove the rest of the nuts holding the windage tray on and remove it, install the windage tray that came with your oil pan kit now install the oil pump pickup tube, being careful with o ring, you want it to seat correctly, tighten the bolt to 18 ft lbs now re install all of the nuts that hold the windage tray on and tighten them to 18 ft pounds. I usually put a small dab of silicone at each corner of the oil pan rail where it meets the front and rear covers, then install the oil pan and make sure you align it flush with the bell housing flange tighten the M8 bolts to 18 ft lbs in a circular pattern starting in the middle, then tighten the 2 longer M6 bolts to 106 in lbs., that's all there is to it.

Last edited by 79LS1FOX; 03-18-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thank you

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for

Quick Reply: oil pan question for chevette swap