Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 YJ - 5.3/4L60E/NP231 hybrid transfer case VSS question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 YJ - 5.3/4L60E/NP231 hybrid transfer case VSS question

Okay I have searched and searched and I am at the point in my 92 YJ conversion to a 5.3 V8 with 4L60E, with hybrid chevy/jeep NP231. I have the OEM 92 YJ VSS. I have no signal going to the pcm for the vss. It doesn't shift out of limp mode or 1st or 2nd which ever limp mode keeps it at. I have the Dakota Digital SGI-5 box. Now what I want to do is take the YJ VSS and convert that signal to the PCM Via the YJ VSS.. what I am wondering is which wires go where and w ha the do I do to the Dakota Digital to accomplish this.. I think once I get this accomplished I can then use output 4 on the SGI5 to go to the speedo and call it good. Now on to the wires I do have.
The YJ harness is still there but I have to see if they are connected correctly.
YJ harness I have has:
White w/ black stripe
Black w/ red stripe
Blue

I understand the VSS needs a 5volt reference which wire do I feed this and anyone know where I can get it off the Chevy pcm? I don't have the Jeep PCM I eliminated it.

Some additional info I did find:

the signal to the VSS needs to be 5volts (I think I found a 5 volt reference on my Chevy PCM)
The ground for the VSS can well, be grounded.. what a concept. haha
then there is the output to the PCM

So what I am thinking about doing is taking the 5volt from the chevy PCM that is empty and feed my VSS then ground it and put the output to the Dakota Digital SGI-5.
From there I will convert the signal to the PCM and use the VSS Plug on the LS1 wiring harness to feed the PCM..

my one question for the day? What is what on the chevy VSS Plug, ground and PCM input? colors?

Thanks again everyone. When I finally get this corrected I will post up all colors and references to hopefully help everyone out there.. I did this route to save over $600 on the swap from having to purchase things that to me are unnecessary
Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM

anyone?

has anyone used the SGI-5C from Dakota Digital?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 PM

Bump.. I am stumped..
Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no experience, but two thoughts:
1) Did you look in the PCM Diagnostics Forum?
2) Did you call DD to ask what the hell was up with their box?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by sprech
I have no experience, but two thoughts:
1) Did you look in the PCM Diagnostics Forum?
2) Did you call DD to ask what the hell was up with their box?
Sprech,

Thanks man for the reply..

I have not checked the Diagnostics forum.. will check there now..

Tonight I am calling DD to get some support.. there is one weird issue I am having.. so they need to help. lol..

Thanks again bro!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar concern with adapting the GM vss signal to a Holley HP EFI. The guys at DD were top notch. They actually called Holley tech while I was on hold and got the specific requirements of the Holley system. He provided me the settings needed for the sgi5 box based on the info he had attained. I 100% recommend you call the guys at DD. Their customer service was refreshing!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

These are the pins for the 1999-2002 truck pcm.
Vss from tranny to pcm red connector is pin 20 vss low signal pin 21 vss high signal and pin 50 is the output from pcm to your speedometer. This is how it connected ony my 1992 chevy pickup.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 PM

Thank you Unnatri, that is the plan tonight..

Gagliano7.

I only have two wires going to the plug where the Chevy VSS would be.. I was gonna use the Signal wire to send the DD converted signal back to the PCM.. not sure if I need to do anything with the other wire.. the tow I have are green w/ black stripe and a Purple w/ white stripe.. I have read very mixed info on these. Who knows. The guy I sent my harness to at lsxharness.com was absolutely awesome and best price ever.. he left a vss signal out for the speedo. Hard part is getting the signal to the PCM for the transmission to shift..

Hoping I will have good news from DD this evening..

Quick Reply: 92 YJ - 5.3/4L60E/NP231 hybrid transfer case VSS question