Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Bug Mid Engine (engine build pg15)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. This California weather has sucked big time lately. Welding in a suit in 100 degree garage conditions is not ideal for me. The weather is finally cooling down so let the work begin again! I will post some pictures tonight. The interior is coming together good.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FakeSnake
not to hijack the thread, but how much cheaper are the prices on the atech site versus summit? I was looking at the qualifications to become a dealer and it says something about an initial buy in and/or yearly minimum. any idea on how much that is?
Signing up for Atech was not the easiest thing to do. Pretty much you have to spend a lot with Summit and then they get to decide if they want you to join. They looked at about a year of previous purchases to help decide. The discount is nothing huge but allows you to sell products for the same price as Summit and still make a little money.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Here are a few pictures to get caught up. It has been too hot so not much has got done.

Got some pedals....

Put some metal behind the pedals

Filled in some of the ugly
Old 09-23-2014, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was wondering if the project had fallen by the wayside, or been taken over by someone else.

Don't lose your momentum too much on this great idea, you have a lot of fans wanting to see some final numbers and videos.

Excellent work on the fabrication also.

Have you decided what you are doing for fuel source location or anything like that?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, those 110* days were just too hot to work on anything, let alone welding. They were, however, good days to test how well the cooling system performs on your swap.

Andy1
Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
I was wondering if the project had fallen by the wayside, or been taken over by someone else.

Don't lose your momentum too much on this great idea, you have a lot of fans wanting to see some final numbers and videos.

Excellent work on the fabrication also.

Have you decided what you are doing for fuel source location or anything like that?
BigEd - My progress has slowed down a bit. Mostly cause of the weather and a little to do with house hunting. I need a 3 car garage! I won't give up on getting this thing done. Just need more time (and more money never hurts).

As far as the fuel system goes, I think I have it all planned out. I was originally going to put it in the front trunk but have decided that wasn't a good idea. So now it is going to go in front of the engine in the middle of the car. Yes there will be a nice firewall around it as well as a heat shield. The computer, relays, power block will be mounted on one side of the tank and the battery will be mounted on the other side. The fuel pump, filters, and regulator will all be mounted in front of the tank. Should keep everything evenly weighted.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Last month I moved into a 3 car garage w/ attached house. It hasn't sped my progress yet though because the wife has all kinds of plans for the attached house that don't involve building out the garage. Meanwhile my projects collect dust.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know, and I am learning fast, how to keep the lady in our lives happy.

If they are happy, even for a little while, they will grant us the solitude to go back to our projects for a while, even if it is just a short while before the HONEY-DO list manages to get built back up all over again.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

the degree symbol, FYI, is to do this

Press and HOLD the left CTRL key on the keyboard, then type in 0176 on the number pad...

Your result is this: °
Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Press and HOLD the left CTRL key on the keyboard, then type in 0176 on the number pad...

Hmmm, what OS? ALT + 248 works here...
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are some items that will LOOP the symbols through the alt list...

I am on Windows 7 Pro x64
Old 09-25-2014, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

I never knew how to do that! Now I will just have remember it...

Having said that, it doesn't work on my computer. I tried the alt 248 and it does. Windows 8 x64 here at work. Then I have Windows 7 and Apple at home...great.

° ° ° ° !!!!!

And yes you are correct. Have to make the lady happy to keep this project going. That is why we are moving. She wants to, so can't say no and keep the Bug! I was just hoping to have it driving before the move cause all the money will be going toward the house.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few of us crazies scattered around the world, give me a call at 707-292-9558.

Jason
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Teching In

You know, and I am learning fast, how to keep the lady in our lives happy.

If they are happy, even for a little while, they will grant us the solitude to go back to our projects for a while, even if it is just a short while before the HONEY-DO list manages to get built back up all over again.
For us guys that have been married for a while....we call this free time to do our projects...a "hall pass"!! Just like back in school...lol!! We make them happy...they'll give us a hall pass to go out and play for a while! But caution...the hall pass can be canceled at anytime.

By the way...great job on the build! Never been a big "bug" guy...but I am now! Can't wait ti see the rest of the build. Keep up the quality work and lots of pics!

Thanks...
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 PM
FormerVendor

Finally got the front wall done! I put a temporary coat of anti-rust over the top of it to keep it nice until I get some real paint over it. Doesn't look too bad!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

So this whole house searching is slowing the build down, but that is not a bad thing. Gives me more time to see what else I need to do to get this Bug going! I have changed a few things up because of it. First of all, I am waiting on the ported head and cams for the time being. I also decided to change up the cooling system. Innercooler is going in the back as planned but in a different spot. I know I said that it will not happen, but the radiator is going up front. It sucks, but will be better in the long run. I have also started doing brake lines. First time for that and it is not fun! Clutch line is next.

This is where the innercooler will be mounted with a nice scoop shoving some air into it.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Well the gas tank is temporarily in. I still have to modify it. I am adding a sending unit, baffled sump, and a different filler. Seats have been ordered and should be here tomorrow. Brake and clutch hard lines are done and plumbed. I think tonight will be the night I attempt to move my gas fill from the front of the car to the middle. I want it to look like the factory fill does, just in a different spot. Time to cut a hole in the body!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Ever think about using something similar to this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7500...C-B9AC53DFB4F9

Mounts smooth and would look really clean
Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrad
Ever think about using something similar to this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7500...C-B9AC53DFB4F9

I like that cap!

Andrew
Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jerrad

Great, now you have me thinking...

That doesn't look too bad at all. Two things I don't like about it though. 1 - No way of locking it. Not worried about people stealing my gas but more of some retard putting something down the filler. 2 - not 100% smooth and flush. I like the look of a normal smooth gas lid (flip open and fill) and the fact that it has to be opened from a pull style latch from inside the car.

Now if I put those two things together, we might have a deal. Normal style gas lid with that filler neck under it!

Quick Reply: 1970 Bug Mid Engine (engine build pg15)