Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Bug Mid Engine (engine build pg15)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBM Motorsports
I will look into that shifter when I get home. I like the idea if it works out.

What trans did you go with on your swap? Was it the Porsche G50? Later on down the road, I wouldn't mind a 6 speed that can handle more power. I would also be able to mount the engine a few inches lower due to the fact that it sits inline, not sideways like mine. I originally designed my chassis for an inline setup anyways. Stupid transaxles are just so expensive...
The G50's are way expensive by the time you flip them over, add squirters, and re-gear them. I went with an Audi 01E 6 speed (with the TDI diesel gearing) which has pretty nice ratios for a V8 (though first is a bit short). The GT40 guys in OZ say it will handle up to 500HP, but of course that all depends on how you drive it. If you're looking to keep the engine real low in the car, I'd hesitate to recommend the 01E since you can't flip them over. Give Scott at Advanced Automotion a call for more info; he stocks 01E's, can re-gear them and add posi for a decent price. There's a guy in Texas, and another in OZ that make LSx adapter plates. I don't know if the engine profile is any more favorable, but I'd consider looking at the Boxster 6 speed. Decent strength (I hear), and adapter plates/clutches/flywheels (Kennedy) are readily available.

Andy1
Old 10-30-2014, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So after looking over the MR2 shifter, it will not work. The throw going from front to back will be going in the wrong direction. I would have to run the cable out the front of the shifter. Looks like I need to see if I can mount the cables backwards on the trans side without the exhaust melting them....
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

So not much has changed on the Bug over the past week or so. I have had no time like normal to work on it! I did decide to change a few things up. I am back to the front suspension trying to get less bump steer. How it was before, I had 3 inches of travel of no bump steer before. It probably would have been fine but I decided I want 0 bump steer through the whole range of the suspension travel which is about 6 inches. So after some adjustments on the top arm mounts, I now have 8 inches of no bump steer. Much better now.

As for the shifter problem, it looks like the factory cables came up the back side of the trans under where my exhaust is. So that means I should be able to flip the shifter and mount the cables backwards for a nice simple fix! Time to buy some cables.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet on the suspension and even sweeter on the cables!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Mind blown
Old 11-08-2014, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

Well more bad news.. I can't mount my shifter backwards. The reverse lock out will not allow me to flip the shifter. For reverse, I have to lift the lockout and put the shifter where 6th would be. If I was to flip the shifter, the shifter would want to put reverse in 1st gear position. Technically there would be no lockout for reverse. Good news, I am not going to flip the shifter, just flip the side the cables mount on and still reverse the way they mount on the trans. Then we have a problem solved.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

A fiero 5 speed shifter works when you modify the shift levers at the F23 transmission. Last one F23 I did the reverse lockout was built into the transmission, so there was no need for the shifter to have one at all.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fieroguru
A fiero 5 speed shifter works when you modify the shift levers at the F23 transmission. Last one F23 I did the reverse lockout was built into the transmission, so there was no need for the shifter to have one at all.
Do you have any pictures of the cables showing which cable does what on the trans side? I think I know what cable go to which arm, just want to make sure.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

More parts in = more work done

The radiator is in!

Radiator mount

Shifter cables are mounted

Mounted on the trans side too. We have a working shifter!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

I got a little more done last night. I started making the cage around the engine for all the interior panels. I got the part done that the carbon fiber cover sits on. Now to all the other panels... I will take some pictures tonight.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:21 AM
Teching In

Swweeeeeet! Good catch on the reverse lockout, I completely spaced on that when thinking about everything.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Finally got some more pictures. I know it has been a while. First I ran out of metal and the metal place is far. So I moved on to finishing some welding. Then I ran out of gas for the welder. So I finally made the long journey and got gas and metal. Now we are good for a while. Now back to making the engine cage. It is turning out good so far. I will be putting its skin on after the entire cage is built.

Got a new helper....

The front section is done. It is removable so I can get the engine in and out.

Boxing the sides in
Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome build.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Great build
Old 12-03-2014, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the good words guys. I should have the whole engine cage done and boxed off by the end of the weekend. After that I am pretty much down to fuel and water plumbing. Then I am going to pull the entire car apart to finish welding the spots I cant get to and paint everything. Then I get to do the wiring! For some reason I love wiring. I should have it up and running around Jan-Feb. I can't wait!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

10 hours of work later, the engine is finally all blocked off! Well 90% blocked off. It actually looks better then I thought it would. I just have a small section to fill in and then it is done. Pictures will come later tonight when I get back home.

I am going to make the carbon fiber hatch lift up like a hood would. Any suggestions on what hinges to use? They don't need to be big or strong since the hood weighs like 5 LBS. I was thinking something like a normal house door hinge but nicer looking.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 592 Likes on 470 Posts

Looking great. You really are knocking this out fairly quick. Very imaginative build. It should be a blast !!!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

More pictures as promised!

My helper falling asleep on the job...

Removable part is painted black
Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Well since I didn't get any suggestions on what kind of hood hinges to use, I decided to build my own. I had some Delrin and tubing laying around so I used it. As of right now, they don't look too pretty but that will change soon. I guess it is a good thing you cant see them anyways.

All mocked up

Nothing fancy but it works.

I mounted it in the car to verify it works. It works perfectly! Now I just need to finalize it all and make it look nice.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:20 AM
FormerVendor

And the hatch is open and connected! Eventually there will either be a hood shock or something that keeps it open on its own,

Quick Reply: 1970 Bug Mid Engine (engine build pg15)