Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It all started w a beer.....Project Suicide

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It all started w a beer.....Project Suicide

I am the current owner of a C5 Zo6 w about 425whp and I keep wanting more more and more.....so before I wrap up more money than I'll ever get back out of the car, Im gonna unload it and go to town w the welder and roll cage tube and build one bad ****!!!

Motor and Driveline.....

Ls2 Alum Block and Heads-500 HP
T56
Ford 8.8 IRS/C4 IRS (Either or)

50/50 Weight Distribution
Some of you prob think Im nuts saying that, using a V8 lol......Read on...

Ya dont see many ExoCars using V8s because its hard to get the weight split nicely and handle well....but w the Motor and Trans set back and move the cab area back so your sitting right in front of the rear tires, I dont see an issue.

The Cheetah GTX Sports Car that was made to go up against the Shelbys has the Cab and Motor set back as far as you can get to the rear axle for the same reason.
Pic #1

The ExoCar that really catches my eye as far as shape and "body lines" so to speak is the MEV Rocket (Pic #2)

The only thing I need to look into before going nuts with this is how to get an Ohio self made title for this to make it road legal.....
I've read on the Ohio DMV site that they can ask you for reciepts for anything they feel like asking for....I have the motor that came out of another car i owned and sold w a different motor in it. So having a title that matches the motor that will be going in the car is, well impossible...

Anyone have any input on where im going w this project and getting a title?!
Attached Thumbnails It all started w a beer.....Project Suicide-cheetah.jpg   It all started w a beer.....Project Suicide-mev-rocket.jpg  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Teching In

while I was reading the first but and saw the 50 50 goal the cheetah came to mind and I was going to suggest looking at one for inspiration. way to go!

buy a wrecked f body or something else small and use the firewall (with the vin attached...) you can smooth it out or whatever, but that is how you would title something like that... just pick whatever you want... legally a restoration can be done and titled with just a firewall, and it can be bodied however you want it to be...

you could use a truck or cheap sedan just for the lower insurance rates if you wanted... that is if you weren't insuring the mods too...

you've got options, just gotta get creative
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Launching!

I need to talk w some ppl that have build buggys and street legal sand rails and go from there....either way this is gonna happen, some as the Zo6 sells its off to buy a Welder and nice tubing bender.

I have another small shop w a Mill and Lathe and Im a CNC Machinst and Welder on my 9 to 5 so Im confident on the fab part and Ive been setting up suspension and building LSX Cars of all kinds since they hit the road back in 97.

I get so sick of all the tight wrenching quaters and have to remove this to get to this crap and fighting w **** poor engineering faults and weak points of a car....Time to build it right the first time and go nuts on the Power to Weight Ratio.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A 50-50 weight distribution isn't hard to achieve. The Datsun Z cars with a V8 retain their neutral weight balance. Put in an aluminum block and stronger rear end and they actually gets a bit tail heavy.

I think the RX7 swaps come out pretty neutral too.

Your bigger challenge will be hitting a weight goal of say 1800#. should be doable if you start with tubing.

You ought to look into a factory five roadster kit. They claim 2200# and a 47/53 weight distribution, so pretty tail heavy.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Ive looked into those too, but thats way out of my price range, cost on this is 10k or under, I have a butt load of LS parts laying around to throw at this, ill have more time involved than money in starting from the ground up, but the pay off will be me making this w a mind set of user friendly engineering on ever having to work on it.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed! I cant wait to see some work get done! Iv always wanted to build a car from scratch, way to sack up and let the rest of of live through you
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds cool. Hope you can achieve this for under $10k. That'd be amazing.

Have you seen the 4 link calculator tool?

This is the 4 bar link calculator that might help you. seems like building your own tube frame you can do whatever rear design you'd like. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...uest-help.html

I like what this guy did with the satchel link due to low roll center Looks like if starting from scratch rear roll center is lower if you do a satchel link.
http://s10racer.com/board/showthread.php?t=541
Old 07-14-2014, 04:22 AM
Launching!

If I was using a solid axle that Reverse 4 Link setup looks sweet!
Prob is w a solid axle, having a very very short driveshaft w the rear end going up and down w the suspension, I could see U Joint issues,

Im looking at a IFS and IRS like whats on a C4 or C5, I'll prob call up MidWest Chassis and have an adj set made for the front and rear.
The Rest will be all on me
Old 07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

excuse me. I read Ford 8.8, but didn't see the IRS comment.

Cool, much better!

Doug
Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Lol its fine, I was confused at first and went back and looked and made sure I didnt put GM 12 Bolt cause that was my first idea but solid axle w that sort of a drive shaft I dont think I could get much travel out of the rear suspension w a solid

Quick Reply: It all started w a beer.....Project Suicide