Sponsored by:

71 nova

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 71 nova

hey guys does anybody have a ls swap nova with 1-7/8 headers with factory steering box.i need a swap kit let me no what you got and does anybody run the brp kit
Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The search button is your friend.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...952&styleid=27
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
thanks ryanleiker
Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 AM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

i think im gonna go with the brp kit i hope i have no issues with it.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Edelbrock swap headers on both my Nova and my Chevelle. They are 1 3/4" stepped up to 1 7/8" headers.. so the are 1 7/8" by the time they get to on the steering box on the Nova. I did have to dimple it a small bit at the steering box. But other than that, they fix well.. but the bad news is that Edelbrock has discontinued making headers.

But, each brand is different and using different mount can change fit from one car to another. Seach the X-Body swaps to see what different combos worked.
But yes, buying a complete kit would be a good idea. Besides BRP, check out the Holley /Hooker setup, they seem well designed and Toddoky is the Holley tech here on the forum and can assist you with questions and help.

BC
Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks bczee.with that Holley kit would the lh8 oil pan work and I want to notch the frame for low mount a/c.i no brp has all of that
Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sbf
Thanks bczee.with that Holley kit would the lh8 oil pan work and I want to notch the frame for low mount a/c.i no brp has all of that
The LH8 pan hangs extremely low below the crossmember in a 1st-gen and will not work with the Hooker components as they are designed to position the engine lower and further back in the subframe than the BRP kit (or any brand for that matter) does for better weight distribution and handling. The Holley 302-2 oil pan was developed specifically to allow this improved engine position to be achieved and taken advantage of. The Holley pan can also be equipped with a trap door baffle, so that would be another benefit to someone wanting to put together a performance oriented swap. You can install a low-mount 4th-gen alternator with the Hooker parts by notching the subframe, but I'll have to take some measurements at work to determine if the engine bracket on the right side will allow the same to be said for installing a low-mount A/C compressor.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the BRP kit when it first came out for the same reason. PM me if you want more info regardless do not use the LH8 pan unless you modify it. In fact I have one I can sell you for cheap if you want to cut and weld it.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

The Holley 302-2 says not for stroker app.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sbf
The Holley 302-2 says not for stroker app.
What specific engine/transmission are you planning on installing? Once I know that, I can tell you what the Hooker parts can and cannot do for you.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:39 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky
What specific engine/transmission are you planning on installing? Once I know that, I can tell you what the Hooker parts can and cannot do for you.
aluminm ls2-402 or lq9 408 or ls3 416.but the first two is on my mind the most
Old 08-10-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sbf
aluminm ls2-402 or lq9 408 or ls3 416.but the first two is on my mind the most
Thanks for the insight, that makes it much easier to provide detailed information. Taking advantage of the engine and transmission mounting geometry of the Hooker components while using a 4" stroke crankshaft can be accomplished through a few different oil pan usage scenarios...

1.) Holley 302-2 pan- if you don't require a full-length windage tray, a small pop-out bump can be welded to the bottom of the pan to provide the clearance needed for the rods on the front-most crank throw. This has already been done by a couple of enthusiast who work at Holley on their own LS swaps and it works well. This option will bolt right in with no vehicle modifications needed.

2.) Holley 302-1 pan- if you need/want to run a full length windage tray, this pan can be used by notching the crossmember similar to what many swappers have done to be able to run low-mount alternators and A/C compressors in these cars. This is the pan used on the LS7 that the Roadkill guys swapped into the Crusher Camaro last December at the PRI show.

3.) Most/other aftermarket pans- the height at the front of the Holley 302-2 pan is 1-1/4" and there is 3/8" clearance between the pan and the crossmember with the engine installed on the Hooker engine brackets. You can use these dimensions to shop for a pan that has the proper height at its front end to allow bolt-in installation with your 4" stroke crank.

Any oil pan route you go, the Hooker 1-7/8" headers will fit like a glove with this combination and provide you with maximum ground clearance.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sbf
hey guys does anybody have a ls swap nova with 1-7/8 headers with factory steering box.i need a swap kit let me no what you got and does anybody run the brp kit
I have a 71 Nova with a 6.0l lq4 motor , I used dingo sliders , dynatech headers , and a holley 302-1 oil pan . everything went together great on the the first try
Old 08-10-2014, 02:30 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

did you move the motor up,down,forward,back?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sjcrft19
I have a 71 Nova with a 6.0l lq4 motor , I used dingo sliders , dynatech headers , and a holley 302-1 oil pan . everything went together great on the the first try
Your use of the Holley 302-1 pan is instructional in indicating the center of mass height difference achieved when using the swap plate approach to mount an LS engine in a 1st-gen Camaro/3rd-gen Nova compared to using the Hooker engine brackets. Whereas you are able to install the 302-1 pan using your swap plates, you would have to cut a 1" notch into the subframe to be able to install it with the Hooker brackets, which is why the 302-2 pan was developed to be able to lower the front of the engine for achieving a lower mass center height for better handling and improved U-joint working angles. I would enjoy posting up side-by-side photos of your steering box header clearance and ground clearance under your car to that achieved with the use of the Hooker components to show how these two different approaches affect these installed characteristics.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Your use of the Holley 302-1 pan is instructional in indicating the center of mass height difference achieved when using the swap plate approach to mount an LS engine in a 1st-gen Camaro/3rd-gen Nova compared to using the Hooker engine brackets. Whereas you are able to install the 302-1 pan using your swap plates, you would have to cut a 1" notch into the subframe to be able to install it with the Hooker brackets, which is why the 302-2 pan was developed to be able to lower the front of the engine for achieving a lower mass center height for better handling and improved U-joint working angles. I would enjoy posting up side-by-side photos of your steering box header clearance and ground clearance under your car to that achieved with the use of the Hooker components to show how these two different approaches affect these installed characteristics.
I know this is an old thread, but I have been out of the loop for some time.

I also have the jzmotorsports oil pan (same as holley 302-1) and with raising the motor to clear it, the angle on the tranny output shaft is too dramatic to avoid driveshaft vibrations, unless I cut out the tranny tunnel significantly or cut the frame crossmember. Since this is an older thead, has anyone tried the newer 302-2 pan and dynatech headers and 4l80e? I would HATE to buy another expensive oil pan that is SUPPOSED to fit my application without mods and not get what was promised......
if so, might be a new stock f-body oil pan and jzmotorsports pan for sale

Quick Reply: 71 nova