Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bellhousing for Muncie 4 spd to LS

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bellhousing for Muncie 4 spd to LS

I have been researching this swap and there is plenty of good information on how to do this. The one thing that I noticed is the swap requires a heavy flywheel to get the .400 difference for full input spline engagement into the clutch. This flywheel is either the 4.8/6.0 truck flywheel or the Mcleod 30 lb steel ($400) or a Mcleod aluminum ($650 ouch) . I have seen the use of the LS7 flywheel and clutch which is what I plan on using but noticed in pictures that the input shaft does not full engage into the LS7 pilot bearing. So my question is does anybody just make a bell housing that is .400 less deep than the stock 11 flywheel bellhousing used on the old cars? This seems too easy of a solution but all the ones I have looked at (Quicktime, Lakewood, etc) are the same depth as the stock old one. Has anybody found one or will this not work? Do the input splines on a muncie fully engage the splines on the LS7 clutch with a LS7 flywheel and regular chevy 11" bell housing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read all of the Gary68 posts and Andrews Pontiac posts.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a 70's BBC scattershield, 0.400" crank spacer, Fidenza aluminum flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, LS7 pilot bearing, and Howe t/o bearing. It all fits fine in mock up. Sounds like you're missing the spacer...
Old 10-31-2014, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

What pics showed the input shaft didn't fully engage the LS7 pilot bearing? I measured on a Richmond, Muncie, and T10 with a 621 bellhousing. All the input shafts reached the forward face of the bearing.
The spines of the disk do run off the input shaft splines though. No issues with that on mine.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Russ, if you space the flywheel back .400, what are you using for a starter?

Gary, in one of the pictures from Andrew I thought it showed not complete engagement in the pilot bearing. If that is not the case, that is good news. I should have a LS7 pilot bearing this weekend. How much were the splines not engaged? Thanks for the help and all the posting you did on this!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The 0.59 diameter section of the input shaft that rides in the pilot bearing is over 1" long. It fully seats in the LS7 pilot bearing using a 621 bell.
I didn't measure the spline runoff, but I'm running a 400hp LQ9 without issues, Andrew is probably running more than that. As far as I know, no one has had issues.
I was curious how Russ got the starter engaged too. I did run across a thread somewhere using an oddball application where a flexplate was used for the starter and a flywheel spaced back from that.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RB440MIKE

Gary, in one of the pictures from Andrew I thought it showed not complete engagement in the pilot bearing. If that is not the case, that is good news. I should have a LS7 pilot bearing this weekend. How much were the splines not engaged? Thanks for the help and all the posting you did on this!
I got thinking about it, no spacer on the manual flywheel. I have another LS swap with a 200R4 and that has the spacer, sorry for my confusion. Took a pic awhile back for someone here having problems with starter alignment, this doesn't show the starter but it's the only one I could find...
Attached Thumbnails Bellhousing for Muncie 4 spd to LS-100_2677.jpg  

Last edited by S10xGN; 10-31-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Forgot pic...
Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Well it sounds like the LS7 clutch and flywheel and pilot bearing are the way to go then. Now I just need to figure out which trans to run. I have a BW super T10 (2 rings on the input), a M20 and a M21. Both the Muncies have 10 spline input shafts so I would need to change that to 26. The T10 would bolt right in as it is a 26 spline input. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by RB440MIKE

There is ample engagement on the picture that I posted. The bearing itself is not that thick and the input shaft engages the full width of the bearing.

If you look carefully at the above picture, you can see a mark on the input shaft that I made with a Sharpie. That's where the bearing fits.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Bellhousing for Muncie 4 spd to LS