Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2K LS1 swap build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K LS1 swap build thread

So here goes, trigger has been pulled and looks like I'll be putting good old Murican muscle into my tuner car. It's not new or original thing for a lot of you....for me though, it's definitely a first.

Here's the car (the one on the left, the red one is the wife's weekend car):

Empty engine bay:

The start of collecting the goods:

Last edited by Luder94; 03-17-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Still collecting parts and will start cleaning up and putting together the motor.

In the coming days, I'll be sourcing all the needed motor sensors, OEM exhaust manifolds, coil packs and wires, as well as figuring out what's missing (new to LS motors so learning as I go).

I'll also be going with and ordering Import Muscle swap kit with all the accessories, and their SS diff swap kit (which will lead me to finding a '10+ SS diff assembly). Full GM driveline....Honda handling with the Heartbeat of America.

I'll be cleaning up and assembling the motor, but will turn to a shop to perform the swap. I am one to get my hands dirty, but at this point in life, time is not something I have a lot extra of. I'm hoping that this swap will be done during the winter so that I get a full Spring and summer driving. This car has been out of commission since 2011 (owned it as an original owner since 2000)...so I've been itching to finish it and drive it.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Look forward to watching the build. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. What are your power goals?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Haven't updated in a while....but that's because I'm still collecting parts. Just received Import Muscle swap kit, rear end kit, fuel lines, and all other accessories.

The car will get the front and rear subframes pulled this weekend, bushings pressed out of the control arms, and if all goes smoothly, I'll get to pressing out the wheel bearings from the spindles and knuckles.

Things to do before starting test fit, fab, wiring, and assembly:

Powdercoat suspension and subframes,
press in aftermarket bushings and bearings,
reinstall subframes and suspension,
freshen up motor with new gaskets and sensors,
rebuild T56,
clean up and paint motor and accessories,
order all remaining hardware and misc. items needed (clutch line fittings, speed bleeder, engine accessory belt, and '10+ SS rear end)

If anyone has a lead on a full rear end assembly off of an auto trans '10+ Camaro SS (3.27 ratio with limited slip), please let me know.

As for power goals for this first iteration, I'd like to have 400 torques and 400 horsepowers at the wheels. If all goes well and I really like LS power....I may see if 6.2L LT1 could fit for the next iteration.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

How did you keep it so rust free? I assume it never saw snow. Thanks for sharing and please let us know about the shop you use to do the work. I am not too far from you. It is nice to be able to read your posts as you seem to know what a comma is for and how to spell. Much appreciated.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Teching In

The car has been paint swapped twice and meticulously maintained its whole life (I'm original owner since 2000). The car was intended to be a collector when I first got it, but it ended up more fun to drive than it sitting in the garage.

I did end up daily driving it for two years including driving through Chicago winters. Part of the reason I want to get the subframes and control arms powdercoated is to clean up the minor rust started.

I will start updating this thread with pics soon.

As for shop doing the swap, right now it looks like I'll be dropping off the motor and the trans to Speed Inc in Schaumburg to freshen up the motor, paint it, and reassemble the trans (may go directly to Finish Line Transmission in Wood Dale to reassemble the trans).

Also as an update, just delivered a few days ago were Driveshaft shop axles, rear hubs, and aluminum driveshaft. Yesterday I received a 2011 3.27 LSD Camaro carrier assembly. Only a few fittings, couple of stainless steel braided lines waiting to be ordered and delivered as well as sourcing OEM f-body headers and Magnaflow mufflers; once I get that, I'll have everything needed on hand to start and complete the swap.

Last edited by Luder94; 12-18-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Any new updates in the past couple months?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

looks exciting.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

You won't be able to use OEM exhaust manifolds. Hooker cast headers or the Miata swap headers work. They sell them on the import muscle website.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Almost forgot about this thread, no real build updates....been busy with business and still collecting parts:

Found a LS6 intake and throttle body,
Speed Inc rebuilt/freshened up the motor:

RCN Motors pressed out all the bearings and bushings out of all the suspension components; my cheap Harbor Freight press couldn't handle it.

This week, I'll be taking everything to the powdercoater....and hopefully before the end of the month, I'll have the car at the shop getting the motor and trans installed, wiring done, and ready for spring.

In the meanwhile, I got to see the 2016 CTS-V up close and personal....I want one!!! Need to finish this project before thinking about another car.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Rods were replaced with Speed Inc chromoly rods.

Anything I need to be concerned with regarding pistons from what can be seen in pics?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Powdercoating done. Energy Suspension bushings pressed in....although I messed up. 8 total bushings call for the OEM bushings' metal sleeves to remain in the control arms. I had the whole bushings pressed out....metal sleeve and all, now those 8 Energy suspension bushings are loose. I'm going to have to figure something out or order 8 Powerflex bushings, which don't use those metal sleeves.

Tomorrow, I will be pressing in new Timken bearings into all knuckles, and once new front hubs come in, I'll get be pressing those in.

Also picked up a second LS1/T56 combo that was selling local to me out of a wrecked WS6. Car had 44k original miles on it, got to see and hear the motor run, rowed through the gears on the trans, included all wiring harness, PCM, accessories, pedal set, and more. Price was a little high in my opinion, but was able to pick everythig up in one fell swoop rather than trying to find bits and pieces here and there. I guess I have my second motor to build up now this summer.

Quick Reply: S2K LS1 swap build thread