Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e38 with dual electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default e38 with dual electric fans

Is there a wiring diagram for this? e38 came out of an 08 express 3500 with a mechanical fan. As I understand it, I can add pins to 17 and 58 on the X1 connector for relay control. This would be for a 1994 Chevy b body swap.

I found a diagram for an 08 escalade that uses 4 relays. I am planning on integrating the factory 94 underhood fuse/relay box. The box has 2 relays for the cooling fans. Any help??? THANKS!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is how GM did it on the 5th gen camaro. The schematic is very similar to the 4th gen camaro. Since your ECU came from a truck, you will need to change a setting to tell it you have dual fans installed.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

A sexier way of doing it with the E38 ECU is to control the fans via PWM:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215

Andrew
Old 05-31-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can actually use a PWM module from a Chrysler minivan if you're on a budget. The module is around $30 new at the parts store and even less in the salvage yard. PWM fans on a budget.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm, the pwm is very interesting. Does anyone have the diagram for an e38? I think its still pin 58 for the pwm, but what about the ac? I have a factory pressure switch that uses the same connector as the vette I believe. What are the chances my sensor is compatible? Its the same 5v style high/ low/ signal style.

Also, seeing as I have to convert to manual ac (which I still have no idea how to do), that sensor wouldn't get used anyways?

As far as budget and the chrysler controller....it started out as a budget build. That turned into a different car and different engine/trans/axle, etc... But if the chrysler controller does the same thing....

My car now with the lt1 had 2 relays and 2 40amp maxi fuses for the fans. I know the pwm controller doesn't use a relay. I believe both fans are each 150w. Will the chrysler controller do both fans on one 40 amp fuse? Should be no startup amp spike being pwm? Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rpm-inc
Hmmm, the pwm is very interesting. Does anyone have the diagram for an e38? I think its still pin 58 for the pwm, but what about the ac? I have a factory pressure switch that uses the same connector as the vette I believe. What are the chances my sensor is compatible? Its the same 5v style high/ low/ signal style.

Also, seeing as I have to convert to manual ac (which I still have no idea how to do), that sensor wouldn't get used anyways?

As far as budget and the chrysler controller....it started out as a budget build. That turned into a different car and different engine/trans/axle, etc... But if the chrysler controller does the same thing....

My car now with the lt1 had 2 relays and 2 40amp maxi fuses for the fans. I know the pwm controller doesn't use a relay. I believe both fans are each 150w. Will the chrysler controller do both fans on one 40 amp fuse? Should be no startup amp spike being pwm? Thanks for the help!!!!
Read the Lat-g link I posted. There is a lot of talk about AC, which I skip over since I don't have it.

I can't speak for the Chrysler fan controller, but the C6 fan is 400w, so the C6 fan controller will easily handle both of your fans. The C6 fan controller range is 5-90% duty cycle. I am using this combination on my 67 Cougar build, but with the Holley Dominator ECU.

Andrew
Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is how I used on an E38 with a hi/low speed fan should work for two fan setup. I have not added the third relay for the AC yet, but it has been working fine. I don't think my fan has ever been required to go into hi speed other than when I was testing the system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Buick Fan.pdf (114.6 KB, 371 views)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

I am going to go with the c6 pwm controller. Car originally had 1 40 amp maxi fuse and 1 relay for each fan. As far as I know the wires are 14 gauge. Will one wire on a a single 40 amp fuse (that was originally for one fan) run both fans safely through the controller?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rpm-inc
I am going to go with the c6 pwm controller. Car originally had 1 40 amp maxi fuse and 1 relay for each fan. As far as I know the wires are 14 gauge. Will one wire on a a single 40 amp fuse (that was originally for one fan) run both fans safely through the controller?
I would think so, because there will not be a current spike with PWM when the fans kick on, which was probably why the original fans used the 40amp fuse to begin with.

In the picture that I posted you can see the connector that I wired. It is a Metri-Pack series 480 3 cavity connector which is rated at 42 amps max.

Andrew
Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
A sexier way of doing it with the E38 ECU is to control the fans via PWM:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215

Andrew

Why is adding complexity of a PWM controller better? I will soon be wiring 2 fans up with a E38. If the E38 can control 2 fans with dedicated outputs then why the fuss?
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Why is adding complexity of a PWM controller better? I will soon be wiring 2 fans up with a E38. If the E38 can control 2 fans with dedicated outputs then why the fuss?
You get infinitely variable fan speeds vs just two. Fan(s) only runs as fast as it needs to vs. hi / low, only.

With my doors and windows closed and exhaust rumble I don't hear my fan on high (I only have high speed wired). I have AC so commonly I do have the cab shut tight.

Still, many folks are Hot Rodders here. If you can make it better why not? And it doesn't cost much more than a multiple high current relay setup.

I may make this conversion one day when I'm bored

Doug
Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
I don't see having PWM fan control being any more complicated than having 2 relays and on/off fan control. The biggest advantage is that with PWM there is no current spike when the fan kicks ON at full speed.

Andrew
Old 06-17-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I don't see having PWM fan control being any more complicated than having 2 relays and on/off fan control. The biggest advantage is that with PWM there is no current spike when the fan kicks ON at full speed.

Andrew
I agree.

The Chrysler PWM control only has four wires and is only slightly larger than a pair of relays. The GM PWM controllers look similar, I just haven't used one.

Of course you can't forget the cool factor of PWM fans...

Quick Reply: e38 with dual electric fans