Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use the entire donor harness? I am doing/trying it. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone ever use the entire donor harness? I am doing/trying it. Advice?

It has been a year in progress but I am LS Swapping my 87 GMC V1500 single cab longbed. I picked up a 2001 Z71 W/ 4.8/Auto and I took the engine/trans combo and put it in my truck using dirty dingo mounts with a NP241 transfer case. I am swapping in the instrument cluster and the steering column. I also modified a 85 20 gallon fuel tank to accept the 2001 donors stock fuel pump assembly. I am also using a 2006 radiator with electric fans and pretty much 80% of the donor's wiring harness.

My plan is to splice the donor harness into my 89-91 style headlights, my 87s power door locks and windows, windshield wiper motor, rear tail lights, cargo light and whatever else I come along.

One main concern I have is how to control my vacuum operated ac/heater box from the 87. The switch uses vacuum to change vents and what not and I cannot foresee fitting the donors ac/heat box in, it is too big and runs off solenoids.

I need to start a build thread here as well, I have one over on 67-72trucks.com, I can link to if anyone wants to see what I have done by far.

Just curious if anyone has seen someone else do this or am I the only one. I seriously doubt I am the only one, just maybe the only one documenting it.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should just be able to run the vacuum line to your intake for the vent controls
Old 07-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Launching!

That's what I was pretty much planning to do. It will get ac at some point but my main concern is just heat/defrost. Gotta make sure I can power the blower and all.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have converted an entire 4th gen harness to a first gen Camaro including the BCM. It can be done and it is worth it if you are looking for some additional features found on modern cars. I am also in the process of finishing off a 1977 Nova AC box setup in the car with a modern compressor, etc. So far the vacuum is run off the intake manifold and I will probably not use a canister. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Thank you! That is great! I am using the BCM as well as all the fuse "boxes" and all. I just want to make sure the wiring/controls from the 01 will power the 87s power doors, windows, wiper motor, lights, horns and so on..

Also I want to take everything from a 6.0 gto and swap it into my 79 trans am so I would love to see how you did it on the camaro.

Last edited by nastybuzzard; 07-14-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done an entire harness swap on a 1985 Toyota Pickup with a 1982 Toyota Pickup. I made it work, but it was a major pain in the ***. Lots of time spent changing plugs out and such. I had an 1985 that I used the body and interior, and swapped in the 1982 engine, trans and transfer case. The 1982 was non FI the 1985 was FI.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Yeah I've done something similar to that 4lux, I'm more specifically asking about projects dealing with LS swaps. Using the donors harness and all to control the entire vehicle as well as powering the engine/trans.

However, 4lux, did you just use butt connectors or did you solder on the different bulbs/switches?
Old 07-15-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your conversion would be a lot easier than mine. In fact you should be pretty much able to plug in the harness to the column, etc. Your windows and locks would tie into the bcm.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Your conversion would be a lot easier than mine. In fact you should be pretty much able to plug in the harness to the column, etc. Your windows and locks would tie into the bcm.
Yeah I am cutting and splicing the wires from the 01 donor into the plug ends from the 87.

Anyone have a source for wiring diagrams for 99-06? I had them all printed out last year in a big folder and it got soaked and destroyed. Now my source is gone.

I was having some issues because I was using a 06 headlight harness because it includes the wiring for my electric fans, well I think it is pinned differently because I could only get my low beams to work.

Now I think I am just going to switch back to the 01 harness and splice in the 06 fans.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use the entire donor harness? I am doing/trying it. Advice?