Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'87 Monte SS LS2 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Monte SS LS2 Swap

I've come to the part of my swap I can no longer put off...the electrical aspect. This is where I struggle but have come a long way.

I bought a TANKS Inc. kit to retrofit the original Monte tank to work with fuel injection. This requires cutting a 4.5" hole at the top of the tank so you can drop in the hanger, pump and baffle.

Name:  IMG-20150626-00578.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  196.0 KB

Name:  IMG-20150626-00577.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  209.7 KB

There is also a slotted flange that goes inside of the tank with threaded holes to accept screws to hold the entire assembly together. I had the flange spot welded a couple of days ago.

I did some research on the G body thread and found the Racetronix fuel pump harness. So I got that too...

Name:  IMG-20150626-00579.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  355.0 KB

The problem that I have now is that I need an intermediate harness to go from the pump to Racetronix harness and plug here.

Name:  IMG-20150626-00580.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  219.2 KB

Then, I need another harness to run down from the ignition to activate the fuel pump relay when I turn the key to run or start....Is this correct?

Name:  IMG-20150626-00581.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  249.8 KB

Now for the questions...

1. Where can I get these connectors? I called Painless and they said they only deal with complete harnesses. Also, Racetronix does not disclose a 'phone number to call....everything is via email.

2. Is the second connector pictured (male connector) for the switch?

3. Can I use the Monte's distributor wire as my switch to activate the fuel pump relay? If so, which?

4. What gauge wiring should I use?

Thanks for the help, fellas.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by '87 Monte SS
1. Where can I get these connectors? I called Painless and they said they only deal with complete harnesses.
Allied Electronics

Mouser

Waytek
Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats the rest of harness you used on engine? Something you bought or reworked? Lt1Swap.com shows how you can wire fuel pump with relay. 87 monte carlo with 4.3 v6 was factory injected I believe. You could have gotten that tank assembly as well. If cant find the end looking for its probably made by Doorman. Look in online catalog see if you can figure it out.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I am using a PSI harness. Around here, they drill holes in fuel tanks at salvage yards. I've known a few guys who simply bought a hanger for an '87 Buick GN and just stepped the fuel pump....no baffle but they don't let it go below 1/4 tank.

Believe me, had I known it would be this much trouble, I would have gone that route. I feel as though I'm 75% there already, so I'd like to finish this up and be done with it.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That relay kit is for a gn factory set up. You should have got the universal kit. You can buy the connectors from racetronix but I would just cut off plugs. You can find a wiring diagram online. U could of used a new monte fuel injected tank with a racetronix sender for a gn and it would of plugged in
Old 07-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

20/20 hind sight, right? I've made some mistakes along the way and if I ever do this again, I'll be that much better prepared. So now, I'll search the local salvage yards to see if I can find the connectors I need.

So even if I had used a Buick GN sender, I'd still have to deal with what activates the relay, right? So what do I do for that? I believe that's the other plug. Correct?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Simpler way is a heavy duty 4 prong relay and connector. Pins are numbered and chart is on relay too. Pin 85 goes to fuel pump wire out of pcm. Pin 86 is a good ground. Pin 30 goes to battery directly with a fuse link. Then pin 87 goes to fuel pump. Then ground from pump to frame somewhere. I got this off Engine Basics.com how to wire fuel pump. But LT1Swap.com is basically same info. I would go this route send other back just use pump.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Well 76larkman, I feel like an a$$ but I have to 'fess up. I re-read the PSI installation instructions and there it was glaring at me...there already is a fuel pump relay on the fuse box PSI provided!

Name:  IMG-20150718-00606.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  244.8 KB

The switch side of the relay is done but it still needs a fused power source and ground, plus running that to the pump. I still might be able to use the other harness.

Name:  IMG-20150718-00608.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  202.2 KB

What if I were to not use the relay on the fuse box and instead run the computer controlled switch wiring to the Racetronix harness, using that relay? That way I have a fused power source, the PCM controlling the pump and its already loomed and grounded.

Last edited by '87 Monte SS; 07-19-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would wire up relay on fuse block sounds like its half way done. that extra fuse hole can be fuse for pump circuit. Battery in and out thru fuse to relay. pcm(fuel pump out) in to relay is your key source, ground, then wire to pump. I think its your easiest way. ------when I wired my Buick this is how I have it. But my grounds (relay and pump) I tied into grounds on engine in back and I went with extra ground to body. My 2 wires going to pump I ran them into heat shrink tubing all the way from harness to pump connection. Nice and tidy/water tight. Ran under edge of carpet/drilled hole in floor used grommet in hole. Very little wire exposed.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RockAuto is a good source for electrical connectors
Old 07-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deuce4935
RockAuto is a good source for electrical connectors
Thanks, I'll look in to that too. I just saw something on Summit that I may be able to use...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...make/chevrolet
Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a connector kit from a local speed shop and some wiring to match the color and wire gauge. I couldn't get the connectors to snap on to the harness I bought! After looking at the connectors, I noticed there was a key to match the slot on the other connector. The ones I bought are clocked differently than the Racetronix harness connectors.

It sucks that I'm being slowed down with something as simple as a connector! Oh well, I'm learning a lot more than anticipated.

It looks like the relay switch side of the Racetronix male connector and the fuel pump female connector have the key and slot to match each other. The same goes for the connectors I bought in the kit. Here's what I'm going to do...

I'm going to remove the wires from the connector on the relay switch side of the Racetronix harness and use it to connect to the fuel pump. Next using the connectors I bought, I'll wire in the Racetronix wires that were removed and run those wires up to the fuse box. After I get this done, I'll snap some pics.

Quick Reply: '87 Monte SS LS2 Swap