Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock vs Aftermarket ECU for swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock vs Aftermarket ECU for swap

Hello all! I'm currently in the planning/parts gathering phase of my project. It will be a 5.3/T56 powered '71 Nova. I've been reading the great info here for awhile and I have soaked up a lot. Trying to decide if better to run stock based, modified harness and ecu or something aftermarket like the Holley HP or Fast EZ-EFI LS setup. I've already gotten an LS6 intake and injectors as well as the 5.3 and T56. There will be a head/cam swap but I wanted to wait until I had the engine installed and fired up. Any advice on the fuel injection system choices?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Holley is a great option! Works well and easy to setup, includes base tunes and forum has lots of answers. By the time you buy an OEM ECM, harness, HPtuners, wideband, etc it isn't far off in cost either.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

If you aren't afraid of doing your own tuning, then the Holley HP system is a great value. You get the tuning software, harness, ECU, and most importantly, a wideband O2. As Slow Sedan pointed out, by the time you add up all the OEM parts, the cost is about a wash. And after witnessing how painful it is to tune a car with EFILive, I would never want to tune a stock computer.

I run the Dominator on my Cougar, mostly because I am using dual DBW throttle bodies.

Andrew
Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the stock ecu and hp tuners... its a bitch. Nothing is more frustrating than having the tools to do something and not know how to use it. Im literally going nuts trying to figure out how to use the software and manipulate the thousands of tables.Go with something more user friendly like holley. Hope that helps
Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I was thinking along the lines of Holley because it does have a self learn feature to get it pretty close. I've never tuned anything before and don't think I want the headache of learning.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoolio
Thanks! I was thinking along the lines of Holley because it does have a self learn feature to get it pretty close. I've never tuned anything before and don't think I want the headache of learning.
Will the Holley system control a 4L80E transmission?

Not sure I'm in line with the cost assumptions you guys are using for GM ECU and harness. You can go to any local LKQ and buy a truck harness and ECU for under $100. Rewire it yourself and then have a professional dyno tune it so you are not frustrated with the learning curve associated with EFI live.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Will the Holley system control a 4L80E transmission?

Not sure I'm in line with the cost assumptions you guys are using for GM ECU and harness. You can go to any local LKQ and buy a truck harness and ECU for under $100. Rewire it yourself and then have a professional dyno tune it so you are not frustrated with the learning curve associated with EFI live.
The Dominator will control a trans, but it is more expensive than the HP. The OP said he is using a T56.

Andrew
Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard good things about the Holley. EZ-EFI? Not so much. Stock PCM works well but, gotta be in the know.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Default Dominator

Im not here to hijack this thread can someone point me in the right direction on who on this forum has a pretty good understanding of the holley dominator ecu
Old 07-25-2015, 06:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it depends on your long term goals. Are you going to be changing combinations often or adding a power adder in the near future? If yes, then a system like the Holley is the way to go. If not, then the stock system and a good tuner is really all that is required. That being said, I have done a lot of research and the Holley systems have overwhelmingly positive feedback where many of the FAST systems do not.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default 3 places..

Originally Posted by Crazypeanut
Im not here to hijack this thread can someone point me in the right direction on who on this forum has a pretty good understanding of the holley dominator ecu
Here on LS1
The Holley forum
Chevytalk.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Ecu

Have you looked at Megasquirt?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 33willys
Have you looked at Megasquirt?
I did do some looking at megasquirt it has nice features and the price is good im just curious as to the actual ease of use
Old 07-25-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Ecu

I'm 73 and have no background in electronics. Years ago I put a tuned port in my '50 Chevy, factory ECU then an LT1 in my 33 ******, again factory ECU. Got interested in Megasquirt. Thought I knew a little about F.I. and purchased the Megasquirt 2 which required assembly. Only took several nights to put it together and learned lots about f.i. and electronics in general. There is so much info on the Megasquirt sites that it's like drinking from a fire hose. Cost back then was $247 but now they have a plug and play system for just about any application. I used the unit I put together to start and run an LT1 on a test stand. Pure joy going from a box of parts to a running engine. Firmware is free, software is free, tuning program is free (neat dashboards) and tech support is free. Think the products are at www.diyautotune.com.

Quick Reply: Stock vs Aftermarket ECU for swap