Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS suggestions for replacing LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS suggestions for replacing LT1

I am looking for some suggestions to do an LS swap, I believe I have a blown head gasket on my LT1 motor and am looking for some options. I have a 97 Z28 automatic with 120k miles on it and everything is stock. I am starting to save up now but need some direction on motor options along with transmission and rear end. The car is going to be used for a weekend cruiser and will go to the track once in a while. I would like to make around 450hp to the wheels. What would be the best reliable setup to achieve my goal? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your budget; you would be better off buying a wrecked LS1 "donor car" to get all the wiring harnesses, PCM, trans, ect. Of course you could also still hit 450 RWHP with a well thought out aggressive 355/383/396 LT1 build for less money, maybe do the 24x conversion to get rid of the opti. It's no small project however. Keeping the LT1 would take much less time and trouble, only problem is it's still a LT1 which means good tuners are hard to find unless you convert to the LS1 PCM (24x conversion) and the aftermarket has pretty much dried up supporting it with any new performance parts.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Depends on your budget; you would be better off buying a wrecked LS1 "donor car" to get all the wiring harnesses, PCM, trans, ect. Of course you could also still hit 450 RWHP with a well thought out aggressive 355/383/396 LT1 build for less money, maybe do the 24x conversion to get rid of the opti. It's no small project however. Keeping the LT1 would take much less time and trouble, only problem is it's still a LT1 which means good tuners are hard to find unless you convert to the LS1 PCM (24x conversion) and the aftermarket has pretty much dried up supporting it with any new performance parts.
Thanks for the reply and this is exactly why I am asking because there is so many options. I have considered buying a donor car. Is there any place that you suggest looking for one?

My budget I would like to stay in between 5k and 8k.. preferably the lower end.

My biggest concern sticking with the LT1 is like you said trying to find a place to tune it and there is not very much support for it anymore.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28jimmy
Thanks for the reply and this is exactly why I am asking because there is so many options. I have considered buying a donor car. Is there any place that you suggest looking for one?

My budget I would like to stay in between 5k and 8k.. preferably the lower end.

My biggest concern sticking with the LT1 is like you said trying to find a place to tune it and there is not very much support for it anymore.
Probably craigslist is the best place for finding a wreck for sale.

IMO, unless you have very good mechanical skills and enjoy a challenge that might take months (or longer) for the swap, I would just replace the head gasket, sell it, and buy a LS1 car and be done with the whole process in a weekend...

Or really for your modest power goal, just build or buy a forged LT1 383/396 stroker short block and get some AI ported TFS heads/cam....will easily support 450 RWHP, make a lot more low end torque than a LS and sound nastier doing it! Then another $1000+ for the 24x conversion, so any LS tuner can tune it and optispark is eliminated...

You didn't mention trans, a stock auto won't hold that for long...6spd just needs a good clutch. And of course the 10 bolt would be on borrowed time.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Probably craigslist is the best place for finding a wreck for sale.

IMO, unless you have very good mechanical skills and enjoy a challenge that might take months (or longer) for the swap, I would just replace the head gasket, sell it, and buy a LS1 car and be done with the whole process in a weekend...

Or really for your modest power goal, just build or buy a forged LT1 383/396 stroker short block and get some AI ported TFS heads/cam....will easily support 450 RWHP, make a lot more low end torque than a LS and sound nastier doing it! Then another $1000+ for the 24x conversion, so any LS tuner can tune it and optispark is eliminated...

You didn't mention trans, a stock auto won't hold that for long...6spd just needs a good clutch. And of course the 10 bolt would be on borrowed time.
You are the 100th person to tell me to sell it lol. I got this car when I was 16 and don't ever plan on selling it. I have defiantly thought about going the LT1 route and never heard of the 24x conversion. I will have to look into that as an option.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Im going to do the same thing over the winter looking to get a 5.3 and go from there piece it together Im in no hurry theres nothing wrong with my lt1 but I just want to change it .
Old 09-17-2015, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROUDA
I think Im going to do the same thing over the winter looking to get a 5.3 and go from there piece it together Im in no hurry theres nothing wrong with my lt1 but I just want to change it .
Yeah I am in the same boat but have a lot to read up on. When you use a 5.3 motor are you supposed to use the LS1 computer and wiring harness? I would imagine the harness is different. I am also having a hard time with the idea of putting a smaller motor in my car than I have now lol
Old 09-17-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by z28jimmy
Yeah I am in the same boat but have a lot to read up on. When you use a 5.3 motor are you supposed to use the LS1 computer and wiring harness? I would imagine the harness is different. I am also having a hard time with the idea of putting a smaller motor in my car than I have now lol
The computers are the same. They just use a different tune in them. Harnesses are similar. The truck harness is a little more difficult to modify then an LS1 F body harness.

5.3 can be had at a decent price and in stock form will probably already outperform your 5.7 LT1. My biggest issue with them for your swap is that by the time you swap over the pan, intake and accessories your damn near at the LS1 cost. If you decide on an LS1 look for a 2002 F body pullout.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1964SS
The computers are the same. They just use a different tune in them. Harnesses are similar. The truck harness is a little more difficult to modify then an LS1 F body harness.

5.3 can be had at a decent price and in stock form will probably already outperform your 5.7 LT1. My biggest issue with them for your swap is that by the time you swap over the pan, intake and accessories your damn near at the LS1 cost. If you decide on an LS1 look for a 2002 F body pullout.
What do you think is a reasonable price on a complete drop out? The average I have been able to find was about 3k. I have been thinking about getting a wrecked one because they are about the same price and can make some money back selling the parts. Also I have to consider the miles on the motor.. I don't want to have to pull the motor back out a year from now..

Quick Reply: LS suggestions for replacing LT1