Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1953 willys jeep ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1953 ****** jeep ls swap

Hi I am new to this site and forums but I am going to swap either a 5.3 lm7 or 6.0 lq4 or lq9? into a 1953 ****** jeep. The jeep already has a tired 305 chev bolted to a t 18 manual trans so I believe I can just get a spacer for the crank and motor mount adapters to bolt in the ls. Any help in turns of what engine, year, wiring harness, ecu, fuel pump, regulator, ect, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome, check out the conversion and hybrid section here on tech. You'll find a lot of things your looking for.

Any specific questions you have ?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Let's stick you here in conversions.

I suggest you use a genIII engine with the 24x1x control system. You'll need a fuel injection harness. Go with a Camaro/Firebird LS1 style and you'll have PCM controlled dual cooling fan operation.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Welcome to LS1tech!

Let's stick you here in conversions.

I suggest you use a genIII engine with the 24x1x control system. You'll need a fuel injection harness. Go with a Camaro/Firebird LS1 style and you'll have PCM controlled dual cooling fan operation.

Thanks for the replay iv done some research but not down to the tech stuff. What exact years are the gen III and from what I have looked into was thinking of going with a stock harness and stripping what I don't need? And what is 24x1x stand for?? I have heard of the pcm controlling fans though. Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by conan
Welcome, check out the conversion and hybrid section here on tech. You'll find a lot of things your looking for.

Any specific questions you have ?
Thanks for the reply where is the hybrid section pretty new to navigating these forums. And probably my main question is what type of harness should I go with. Stock drop out and modified or aftermarket? I plan on re wiring the jeep with a painless kit.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I've already moved you here to the conversions section.

GenIII was up to about 2007. It has a 24x crankshaft reluctor wheel and a 1x camshaft wheel. Many have cable throttle bodies but some have drive by wire.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:06 PM

I've already moved you here to the conversions section.

GenIII was up to about 2007. It has a 24x crankshaft reluctor wheel and a 1x camshaft wheel. Many have cable throttle bodies but some have drive by wire.
Thanks but oh ok I have heard of different years having different reluctor teeth. Two if I'm right but does it matter which reluctor size I should go with? Also should I go with a cable throttle body?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

It’s not the size of teeth, it’s the number.

GenIII engines have a 24 tooth reluctor wheel on the crank, the GenIV engines have a 56 tooth wheel. The PCM, sensors and wiring harnesses are specific to both types.

It’s usually easier to use a cable operated throttle body than the drive by wire (DBW) version. DBW requires the removal of the original gas pedal and installing an electronic one in the footwell.

I recommend you go with a Camaro/Firebird F-body LS1 setup. Cable operated throttle body and that PCM controlled dual fan wiring.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:12 AM

It’s not the size of teeth, it’s the number.

GenIII engines have a 24 tooth reluctor wheel on the crank, the GenIV engines have a 56 tooth wheel. The PCM, sensors and wiring harnesses are specific to both types.

It’s usually easier to use a cable operated throttle body than the drive by wire (DBW) version. DBW requires the removal of the original gas pedal and installing an electronic one in the footwell.

I recommend you go with a Camaro/Firebird F-body LS1 setup. Cable operated throttle body and that PCM controlled dual fan wiring.

Sorry meant number of teeth but oh ok and then what route should I go for my Harness? Cutting apart a stock harness or paying the 500$ for one that is apparently ready to go. Also do all pcm's have the fan control?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 1953 Jeep

I used to own a '53 Jeep way back. No matter which engine/trans you go with you will need to do something about the frame first. Step one is to remove the body and either box the frame or build a new one that can handle the new power. Before you start, decide on if you intend to keep 4 wheel drive or not. If so, find a donor vehicle that is 4 wheel drive and take the entire setup. That would be much easier. If you are going with 2 wheel drive decide on what front suspension you will use and what to use for the rear end/suspension too. No matter which way you go when getting the engine get the donor vehicle VIN.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 33willys
I used to own a '53 Jeep way back. No matter which engine/trans you go with you will need to do something about the frame first. Step one is to remove the body and either box the frame or build a new one that can handle the new power. Before you start, decide on if you intend to keep 4 wheel drive or not. If so, find a donor vehicle that is 4 wheel drive and take the entire setup. That would be much easier. If you are going with 2 wheel drive decide on what front suspension you will use and what to use for the rear end/suspension too. No matter which way you go when getting the engine get the donor vehicle VIN.
Thanks for info! the frame is already boxed in. How good not sure but it has been off roaded pretty hard since I have had it. Do know cracks can happen though. It is going to stay a wheeler. Already has Dana 44's front and rear locked with scout axles I believe. and a 411 ratio. I do want to re wire the jeep especially with this new engine but good idea about getting the vin
Old 08-29-2015, 05:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by 33willys
I used to own a '53 Jeep way back.
Thanks 33!

And thus is why the conversions section is a great place!

Quick Reply: 1953 willys jeep ls swap