Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e67 Standalone ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default e67 Standalone ECU?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before... I've been searching, but no answers yet.

I have a Gen IV 5.3 that I am swapping into a Porsche 944. I'm a bit confused by the ECU though. It seems I can get an E67 ecu and harness from a junkyard relatively cheap. Does it matter what it comes from? How do I go about making the ECU standalone? Does it matter if it's from a manual/auto vehicle? And will it work fine with the Porsche transmission? It seems the Porsche guys often install a 40 tooth reluctor wheel and speed sensor.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

If you currently don't have any electronics, consider this:

https://holley.com/products/ls_power.../parts/550-603

A lot more flexibility than OEM, although you will need to swap to a cable TB.

Andrew
Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Seems significantly more expensive. I'd like to keep it cheaper.

Would an E38 ECU/harness be easier maybe?
Old 12-19-2015, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The PCM doesn't matter as much as the calibration. One problem you will find is you really need a PCM that came from a Gen IV vehicle and depending on your goals, a decent calibrator to program it. The PCM doesn't care what hardware you have, as long as it has the parameters to run it.

In short, a E67 or an E38 could be used on the same engine IF the calibration and harness was correct for the engine. Both PCM's you listed use different connectors on the PCM side so you need to commit to one. The E67 has some benefits in a factory supercharged setting over an E38 but in a swap the benefits aren't as great.

When I buy engines I make sure to get the PCM and harness together. If you don't you spend a ton of time and money trying to piece a bunch of stuff together or buy the right parts and usually have problems if they don't match.

The Holley setup isn't cheap - but it's self learning which saves a lot of time and potentially money if you have the need. Another benefit is the Holley system is all new. However, I'm not sure it can control an electronic transmission. If you can buy all the parts you need used plus have the ability to do the work, you will be money ahead. If you want a nearly turn key system, it's Holley.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not worried about tuning it on my own, or doing the wiring, etc. I was just confused by the ECUs, and what I'm able to flash to/from. It seems then, the E38 is easier to find, so I just need an E38 and harness. Then a thottle body and pedal to match the base operating system I choose.
As far as using it with a manual transmission, will I need a base operating system to match the transmission type, or would this simply be a setting to switch in HPTuners?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

I can get a full set of e38 ECU, harness, pedal, and throttle body from an LY5 2009 Silverado. I should have no problem making some tweaks to run an LS3 cam and LS6 intake with a base 5.3 truck tune correct? Or will I need the corvette TB/pedal?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What you can't reliably do is mix OS's from different years on many of the newer PCM's without potential problems using software commercially available to consumers (i.e. HP Tuners or EFI Live).
Old 12-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, great. Seems simple enough then! I'll probably just go with everything from a truck then.

Quick Reply: e67 Standalone ECU?