Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New “Factory Replacement” Ford Taurus fans? Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Default New “Factory Replacement” Ford Taurus fans? Any good?

Putting this here because I know alot of hybrid builders use these fans.

I’ve almost always used these fans on my builds. Usually sourced used original FORD equipment though. Lately it seems impossible to find these fans in local junk yards. I noticed Dorman and a few other companies sell “Factory Replacement” fans that look identical. Anyone know if these are as good as the original fans? IE are the motors as powerful. Or flow the same CFM? Or are they likely dinky motors that perform nothing like the originals?
Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't answer your question... but I like SPAL fans. You can attach them to a custom shroud then.

google the fan man - he seems to have the best deals. I bought the 2400 cfm fan for about $140. It keeps my engine cool along with running at AC. I've had it in humid 100F weather without much temp increase from thermostat opening (190F or less).

Hope the other idea might help.

Doug

Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Lincoln mkviii fans and fans from supercharged Terminator Mustangs which I recall were also good. I've not peeked under a new Taurus but that might also be of interest. Sadly I can't speak to the aftermarket Taurus fans but agree the Ford 2stage fans were awesome! I have one wired for high on a switch with low triggered by a thermoswitch. On low I can feel a breeze at the back of my car from air being blown back in my garage! I'll take an OEM fan designed to last 100k miles over anything else I've tried aftermarket.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, my local JY practically paves the walkways with Taurus fans.

I've had pretty good luck with Dorman replacement stuff. I did buy a replacement motor on my mother in law's PT cruiser. It seemed to work as well as anything else on that POS.

Most parts places have a pretty good return policy if all you do is power it up to see how it blows. You can always claim they sold you the wrong part.

+1 on the Lincoln fans. They draw less amps and move more air.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Dorman 620-101 Radiator Fan Assembly fits a 95 Taurus, Its a two speed fan, using the original radiator it never uses hi speed. I don't have ac and only have 2K on swap. Can sit on a hot FL summer day an idle under 200 all day
Old 04-22-2016, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

im running a Taurus replacement fan (off ebay) on my Regal with a aftermarket aluminum corvette radiator (off ebay). I only have the high side hooked up, runs off a stand alone temp controller and it cools just fine. But I havnt tested it in the July/Aug Texas summer yet. But so its been good.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the Taurus fan,slight trimming of shroud to fit perfect
Old 04-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67Skylark
I have a Dorman 620-101 Radiator Fan Assembly fits a 95 Taurus, Its a two speed fan, using the original radiator it never uses hi speed. I don't have ac and only have 2K on swap. Can sit on a hot FL summer day an idle under 200 all day
Originally Posted by tonypaul
im running a Taurus replacement fan (off ebay) on my Regal with a aftermarket aluminum corvette radiator (off ebay). I only have the high side hooked up, runs off a stand alone temp controller and it cools just fine. But I havnt tested it in the July/Aug Texas summer yet. But so its been good.
Originally Posted by knickel
+1 on the Taurus fan,slight trimming of shroud to fit perfect

What did y'all do about the pigtail for the Taurus fan?

I believe that I've determined that it's p# WPT-706, but it's tough to locate. And maybe half the price of the whole fan!

Also, there appears to be a Spectra brand version of that fan/shroud assembly available on RockAuto for $30 less than the Dorman. Anybody try it?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=658&jsn=658

Thanks,

-Kyle

There's this part # too, but it seems this part# has been discontinued...

Last edited by kpeters59; 04-23-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added another photo
Old 04-23-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had to go to the local salvage yard, Charged me $1. I had looked for a new connector but couldn't even find the partnumber, so you gotten further than I did. Yard only had 4-5 Taurus, fan/connector had been removed from all but one and it was hit hard in the front and fan was trashed. I would purchase a new connector if possible-corrosion free, pliable clip, no splicing of wires. Post location where you get connector if you find a good source.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Problem again is they no longer make the original MKVIII fans either. And according to roc auto aftermarket companies don't seem to be making them.

I picked up a Dorman version. Should be here monday. Not like I have anyway to check the CFM, so I'll probably just roll with it.

Fans like SPAL are a fart in the wind compared to the real deal taurus fan. The originals flow around 6000CFM on high.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

I grabbed the connectors when I bought the fan. Relays too. But I did manage to buy new pins for the stock connectors so no splices.

Like others said you probably won't ever need the high speed setting. I hooked mine up with the idea of using a manual switch but never got around to needing the switch.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ford Windstar or Aerostar (I forget which) work too, at least in a Chevelle. Personally I like the idea of used oem or spal over Dorman. Dorman just seems too much like a disinterested third party in my mind.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I grabbed the connectors when I bought the fan. Relays too. But I did manage to buy new pins for the stock connectors so no splices.

Like others said you probably won't ever need the high speed setting. I hooked mine up with the idea of using a manual switch but never got around to needing the switch.
Do you mean that you re-pinned the junkyard 'pigtail'?

Where did you get those pins? Got the part number?

Thanks,

-Kyle
Old 04-23-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Shoot. I knew you were going to ask that.

Don't know, did it a number of years ago.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Shoot. I knew you were going to ask that.

Don't know, did it a number of years ago.
So... that was a 'yes', you did re-pin the junkyard pigtail?

I'm sure I can find them (again!), I just like the threads to be thorough, so they don't need duplication...

Thanks,

-Kyle
Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Taurus fan

Volvo relays work great
Attached Thumbnails -20160423_161718.jpg   -20160423_161320.jpg  
Old 07-05-2016, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kpeters59
Do you mean that you re-pinned the junkyard 'pigtail'?

Where did you get those pins? Got the part number?

Thanks,

-Kyle

Shoot. Thought I had the part numbers. Don't think the pins are sold separately. The part that hooks to the car is a one piece molded unit. No way to take it apart or replace the pins. My guess only available as a pigtail. Might as well source one at the pick and pull.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-05-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New “Factory Replacement” Ford Taurus fans? Any good?