Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third Gen LS motor with Holley 4L80 crossmember?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Third Gen LS motor with Holley 4L80 crossmember?

I was curious if anyone has used the Holley/Hooker 4L80 crossmember with the adapter they list on their website for third gen F bodies when they did their LS swap. I have seen a lot of people make their own 4L80 crossmember and wanted to see if anyone has taken the plunge yet with one of these pre fab deals. Seen a few older third gen threads where people used an older pre fab 4L80 crossmember for third gen F-body cars with not so good results.

Crossmember Part Number: 71222005HKR
Adapter Part Number: 71223004HKR
Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The crossmember and adapter work great in 4L80 applications as long as you use them along with the Hooker engine mounting brackets. If you are using an aftermarket K-member, or another brand of engine mounting brackets, the Hooker crossmember more than likely won't work for you.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's a photo of the Hooker 3rd-gen crossmember used in a 4L80 application...you can also see the Hooker LS swap long-tube headers and engine mounting brackets up front.

Last edited by Toddoky; 05-13-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The crossmember and adapter work great in 4L80 applications as long as you use them along with the Hooker engine mounting brackets. If you are using an aftermarket K-member, or another brand of engine mounting brackets, the Hooker crossmember more than likely won't work for you.
Thank you for the info and the pic. I haven't seen an engine K-member from Holley yet, just swap mounts. Is there an aftermarket K-member that works or can use the holley mounts to create the same safe angle/engine position? I wonder if it would require an older SBC K-member with the holley mounts bolted to it in order to work with the swapped crossmember like in the pic.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JeRM82
Thank you for the info and the pic. I haven't seen an engine K-member from Holley yet, just swap mounts. Is there an aftermarket K-member that works or can use the holley mounts to create the same safe angle/engine position? I wonder if it would require an older SBC K-member with the holley mounts bolted to it in order to work with the swapped crossmember like in the pic.
I doubt you'll ever see a K-member available from Holley. Forum member gixxer92 successfully completed a bolt-in LS/T56 swap into his 3rd-gen with the Hooker transmission crossmember, long-tube headers and dual exhaust system and and a Spohn SB Chevy K-member as you alluded to, so it's possible you could also get it done going that route.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

That sucks you would have to go to an older SBC K-member. Wonder how far off an LS swap K-member would be.....
Old 05-13-2016, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

That sucks you would have to go to an older SBC K-member. Wonder how far off an LS swap K-member would be.....
A lot, a member on thirdgen.org attempted to use the crossmember with an LS swap K-member to mount a T56 and the crossmember could not be bolted up. The crossmember shouldn't be thought of as a universal piece; it's part of a system of parts that were designed to work together.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the information and your hard work to make this happen for us all. Sent you a PM on that.

On a side note: Is there any talk of S10 parts where you are at? Not sure how big of a market that would be compared to the stuff you guys have been up to.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank you for the information and your hard work to make this happen for us all. Sent you a PM on that.

On a side note: Is there any talk of S10 parts where you are at? Not sure how big of a market that would be compared to the stuff you guys have been up to.
Thanks for your supportive words about my efforts, I appreciate it. The S10 swap applications have been casually discussed, but I don't know what their priority level is on the development list. I may know more next month as I will be finishing up the 1964-67 A-body swap application and will informed as to what I will be moving on to next.

Quick Reply: Third Gen LS motor with Holley 4L80 crossmember?