Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone swap a newer 5.3 (L83)??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone swap a newer 5.3 (L83)??

I have access to a newer 2016 5.3 and trans combo (probably will not use the 6L80E trans because too much modifications to my trans tunnel), I know the ECM is a E92 has anyone done a swap yet or know of anyone that has done a swap?

Anyone besides Speartech make a stand alone harness?

Looking to an LS swap in my 59 Belair and this combo came along, wondering if I should just sell this combo and get something slightly older?

Wondering if it is more hassle than I want to deal with, if it is I will sell the package to focus on an d older setup.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

WOW nobody is stepping into this arena? Looks like I will be the guinea pig!!!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you aren't going to use the trans anyway is there a benefit to using this motor over an older one?
Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuckd71
If you aren't going to use the trans anyway is there a benefit to using this motor over an older one?
ChuckD that is a really good question, I got the combo for LITERALLY peanuts it had 2,314 miles and it hadn't even had its first oil change yet! After pulling the motor myself I think I can use the trans in the Belair with slight modification of course.
After I posted my last post I found 3 people that are running this combo (FINALLY) that are located close to me they are running them bone stock (without the VVT and DOD obviously) they can do the reflashing and the harness for me.

I am still working on the power steering pump (because the vehicle it came out of is electric steering and the AC compressor setup will not work so I need to change that as well. So the power steering AC (if you are going to run AC) need to be addressed but Dirty Dingo has the answer to both of these problems with there LT bracket accessory kits!

So I thought this setup was just too new but come to find out there are companies out there that are working to provide standalone harnesses!!!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If people are running LT motors then no way would something more pedestrian be too new, no matter what you're doing someone else has already done it around here haha.
But swapping things out to lose vvt and dod has a cost in terms of both time and money to consider as well. If it's like ditching it from a 6.2L then it can add up fast, esp if you go custom cam, new springs, etc (but you might do that stuff with any motor).
I like dirty dingo stuff and customer service was good, no experience with the parts you're needing though.
If you've got the motor and can get the harness done cheaply might as well keep it, otherwise sell it and grab one a bit older and simpler. Used 5.3s are cheap enough to be disposable so you might come out ahead or have extra funds for parts.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I got an L83 with 4k miles for dirt cheap too. I'm doing this swap on a 72 El Camino. I'm still collecting parts though. I got the Dirty Dingo adapters for power steering. I had to get an LS3 Corvette water pump, an LS1 power steering pump from a Camaro and an alternator as well. I'll probably go with Chevy Performance LT1 controller, it's almost 2K, but it includes all the components you need to run it. I'm using a 4L65E because I didn't want cut my tunnel.

Originally Posted by gthmcty1
ChuckD that is a really good question, I got the combo for LITERALLY peanuts it had 2,314 miles and it hadn't even had its first oil change yet! After pulling the motor myself I think I can use the trans in the Belair with slight modification of course.
After I posted my last post I found 3 people that are running this combo (FINALLY) that are located close to me they are running them bone stock (without the VVT and DOD obviously) they can do the reflashing and the harness for me.

I am still working on the power steering pump (because the vehicle it came out of is electric steering and the AC compressor setup will not work so I need to change that as well. So the power steering AC (if you are going to run AC) need to be addressed but Dirty Dingo has the answer to both of these problems with there LT bracket accessory kits!

So I thought this setup was just too new but come to find out there are companies out there that are working to provide standalone harnesses!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
Yeah I got an L83 with 4k miles for dirt cheap too. I'm doing this swap on a 72 El Camino. I'm still collecting parts though. I got the Dirty Dingo adapters for power steering. I had to get an LS3 Corvette water pump, an LS1 power steering pump from a Camaro and an alternator as well. I'll probably go with Chevy Performance LT1 controller, it's almost 2K, but it includes all the components you need to run it. I'm using a 4L65E because I didn't want cut my tunnel.

Delta we need to stick together on this one and trade notes!!! The accessories are what I'm working on now, did you use the dirty dingo gliders? I was also looking at dirty dingoes LT bracket accessories is that what you're using?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Delta we need to stick together on this one and trade notes!!! The accessories are what I'm working on now, did you use the dirty dingo gliders? I was also looking at dirty dingoes LT bracket accessories is that what you're using?
I bought this kit:
LT Billet Alt/ Type 2 PS Sanden 508 Truck Accessory Brackets from Dirty Dingo, but you also need to buy the water pump adapters and their power steering pump pulley. The pulley is a smaller diameter than the factory vette or camaro pump pulley. I didn't buy their sliders. I bought a set from a different company, the name escapes me right now. I'm going with Vintage Air and get the Sanden AC Compressor from them.

The one component that no one has is the oil pan. Dirty and Spear recommended cutting down the truck oil pan for clearance.

There's also that vacuum pump on the truck motors. I'm deleting mine because I'm going with hydroboost for brakes. I don't think my car will have room for clearance for that. Theres a post on the Gen V forum on how to delete it.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

I bought this kit:
LT Billet Alt/ Type 2 PS Sanden 508 Truck Accessory Brackets from Dirty Dingo, but you also need to buy the water pump adapters and their power steering pump pulley. The pulley is a smaller diameter than the factory vette or camaro pump pulley. I didn't buy their sliders. I bought a set from a different company, the name escapes me right now. I'm going with Vintage Air and get the Sanden AC Compressor from them.

The one component that no one has is the oil pan. Dirty and Spear recommended cutting down the truck oil pan for clearance.

There's also that vacuum pump on the truck motors. I'm deleting mine because I'm going with hydroboost for brakes. I don't think my car will have room for clearance for that. Theres a post on the Gen V forum on how to delete it.

Awesome! That was was the kit that I was looking at as well! I will head over to the Gen V section as well and check that out.
This setup is going in my 59 Belair.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

A 4l60e is tight in an X frame car, I can't imagine how tight a 6l80 is going to be...
Old 05-19-2016, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Delta88 If you remember the name of the mounts please let me know thanks!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Delta88 If you remember the name of the mounts please let me know thanks!
http://www.ictbillet.com/lt.html

ICT Billet is the name. This adapter plate doesn't slide like DD, but it does have 3 positions you can mount the engine mount to.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

http://www.ictbillet.com/lt.html

ICT Billet is the name. This adapter plate doesn't slide like DD, but it does have 3 positions you can mount the engine mount to.
Thanks!! Icontact Current Performance and they are going to do my harness as well!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
A 4l60e is tight in an X frame car, I can't imagine how tight a 6l80 is going to be...

Now you've got me worried. I'm preparing an L83/6l80 for a 2nd gen Trans Am. Your Nova is probably comparable to the T/A's tunnel. Do you think I will have serious issues getting it to fit?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I work at Motech and we swap Gen IV's with full functioning 6l80es. We have the BCM's and conversion modules to make tap shift, the Transmission, and cruise work as well. Also the A/C functions 100% in the jeeps. We even have the PWM Fan control now. We will be getting a Gen V in next week with a 8 Speed auto. We also make the swaps 100% legal in all 50 states. We will begin developing a kit to swap the entire drive train. We have a 3 axis CNC machine ready to cut out power steering brackets that will be needed. Cant wait!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vannatta20
I work at Motech and we swap Gen IV's with full functioning 6l80es. We have the BCM's and conversion modules to make tap shift, the Transmission, and cruise work as well. Also the A/C functions 100% in the jeeps. We even have the PWM Fan control now. We will be getting a Gen V in next week with a 8 Speed auto. We also make the swaps 100% legal in all 50 states. We will begin developing a kit to swap the entire drive train. We have a 3 axis CNC machine ready to cut out power steering brackets that will be needed. Cant wait!
Yeah WE can't wait either these new motors are going to be catching on just alot of patience is what will be needed!!!
Old 05-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vannatta20
Sounds good. These motors are about to be the here and now. Just waiting on you guys to support them.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bamabob
Now you've got me worried. I'm preparing an L83/6l80 for a 2nd gen Trans Am. Your Nova is probably comparable to the T/A's tunnel. Do you think I will have serious issues getting it to fit?
I think you may be confusing "X body" with "X frame". The X frame is what GM used from 58-64, and the transmission actually has to fit in between the rails where they come together, so a trans as big as a 6l80 might be tight. The X body was the Nova platform and all that would be in the was would be the floor hump at the most, so I would think you will be alright with an F body, a little finessing with a hammer should be all it should take.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am doing an LT1 swap into a 71 Buick GS. Crossmember had to be notched, you need a special port to bypass the oil cooler and add in a port for oil pressure. The motor needs to sit as far forward as possible (I used DD sliding mounts), as the mechanical fuel pump for the GDI system sticks out the back of the block.

If you want to run vacuum-assist brakes, you will need a vacuum pump. The LT-series engines are not big on vacuum production. The trucks have an engine-mounted pump, but you can't use it with the DD accessory drive or motor mounts.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I think you may be confusing "X body" with "X frame". The X frame is what GM used from 58-64, and the transmission actually has to fit in between the rails where they come together, so a trans as big as a 6l80 might be tight. The X body was the Nova platform and all that would be in the was would be the floor hump at the most, so I would think you will be alright with an F body, a little finessing with a hammer should be all it should take.
It depends on where the motor is positioned front to rear. The bolt-on style bellhosuing of the automatics requires significant tunnel mods in the "stock" position, but pushing about an inch forward makes it easier. The 6LXX is even bigger than the 4LXX series.

Quick Reply: Anyone swap a newer 5.3 (L83)??