Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged oil pan, question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damaged oil pan, question

Hey guys, I scraped my pan today enough to have a slow leak out of one of the scratches. Can I use a regular tig welder to fix it ? It's tiny and a quick tack would fix it by the look of it. Trying to epoxy it so will see if it holds. Pan is a
CTS-V pan if that matters.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

If you're good with a TIG, yes. But I would remove the pan and clean it before trying to TIG weld it. Oil sitting on the back of that weld won't end well.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

contaminated metal is a pita to weld if your not very good at it. but I would definitely take it off and clean it real well first
Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 758 Likes on 556 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

For what it's worth JB weld epoxy works great. No need to take off pan either if you do it right.

This may be a fire/explosion hazard so do it at your own risk, worked great for me. Been holding for over a year now with no sign of leakage.
Drain oil

Plug any of your VC vents and put a shop VAC on the filler tube and duct tape it.

Turn vac on and spray leaking area well with brake clean. Use a lot. It cleans inside the crack and behind it as the vac sucks in the fluid.

Let the vac run a good 3-4 mins to evap all the brake cleaner

Dab JB weld on the area with the vac on. It pulls the epoxy into the crack. I left the vac on for a good hour and mixed the JB weld kinda hot.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:26 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tig is fine, the guy that I had weld a couple of pans said they were actually really easy material to weld. Of course you have to have it clean first.

Brake cleaner till it was clean, pressure washed, then soaked it in hot water and dawn dish soap overnight and rinsed.

Rumor has it the dishwasher on pots/pans does really well........just don`t get caught.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, so far so good with the JB weld. If it starts to leak again I'll have to call in a welder.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NOTE: be careful with cleaning with brake cleaner - pre-welding. lots of articles out there about welders sustaining permanent damage or even death due to the fumes created from welding after use of brake cleaner.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html

I realize a non-issue with JB Weld. And good luck with the repair! Sounds like a great tip with the vacuum cleaner on the crankcase.

Doug
Old 06-06-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
For what it's worth JB weld epoxy works great. No need to take off pan either if you do it right.

Drain oil

Plug any of your VC vents and put a shop VAC on the filler tube and duct tape it.

Turn vac on and spray leaking area well with brake clean. Use a lot. It cleans inside the crack and behind it as the vac sucks in the fluid.

Let the vac run a good 3-4 mins to evap all the brake cleaner

Dab JB weld on the area with the vac on. It pulls the epoxy into the crack. I left the vac on for a good hour and mixed the JB weld kinda hot.

Good luck!
Dang. Great idea.

Shamed to say I've used JB weld on gas tank pin holes with perfect results.

Phosgene was used in WWI to kill troops. The brake cleaner warning is real.

Quick Reply: Damaged oil pan, question