Sponsored by:

New Hooker SN95 Mustang LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedshifter

Todd,

Did you happen to find anything out for me? 4/30 came and went. Still no exhaust.
Hello Speedshifter. I was not able to determine anything useful in my snooping around the production area. I don't have access to the production schedule, so I'm not much help being able to provide qualified information in that regard. My recommendation to you as a fellow forum member here is to cancel your order and go another route with your exhaust system if not having it is holding up your ability to complete your project or meet a deadline. There are products I buy that I do that with and also things I hold out when I don't absolutely have to have them by a certain time/date that I believe are worth the aggravation in waiting (I'm going through this with some wheels for my truck right now). I can definitely empathize with your situation and wouldn't fault you if you cut bait and went a different route due to frustration.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hello Speedshifter. I was not able to determine anything useful in my snooping around the production area. I don't have access to the production schedule, so I'm not much help being able to provide qualified information in that regard. My recommendation to you as a fellow forum member here is to cancel your order and go another route with your exhaust system if not having it is holding up your ability to complete your project or meet a deadline. There are products I buy that I do that with and also things I hold out when I don't absolutely have to have them by a certain time/date that I believe are worth the aggravation in waiting (I'm going through this with some wheels for my truck right now). I can definitely empathize with your situation and wouldn't fault you if you cut bait and went a different route due to frustration.
Thanks for the reply! It’s not holding up my project yet. Was just looking for answers. I ordered it plenty far in advance before I would need it. You guys did a great job with the design of the system. Seems like it will be worth the wait.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got my exhaust system a couple days ago and it was worth the wait. The quality is top notch!

Unfortunately someone in the packing/shipping department must have been hungover and only included 2 of the 10 band clamps. I’ll get that rectified this week.

I would highly recommend anyone to buy this exhaust system.

I had purchased the dynatech SN95 swap headers long before the hooker system was available. The hooker exhaust lines up with the passenger collector on the dynatech header perfectly. The drivers side dynatech header is tucked up higher and much closer to the trans than the hooker setup. Some exhaust fab work is definitely needed to make the dynatech header work with the hooker x-pipe. Haven’t decided if I will sell my dynatech headers for hooker headers, or if I will just get a custom x-pipe inlet made for the hooker system to mate to the dynatech headers.

Just figured I would contribute that fitment info in case it helps anyone.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

A couple shots of the engine configuration...

what spark plug wires did you guys use? I’m using GM truck coils and ordered the MSD truck wires. The straight spark plug boots hit almost every single primary. Looks like you guys used 135 boots.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 AM
Banned

what spark plug wires did you guys use? I’m using GM truck coils and ordered the MSD truck wires. The straight spark plug boots hit almost every single primary. Looks like you guys used 135 boots.
The wires shown in the photos were from my bin of prototype parts that I use for checking clearances during prototyping. I’m not sure what specific brand they are offhand, but I can check for you tomrrow.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok cool. Curious to know because I am running the same coils you used for prototyping. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Banned

Ok cool. Curious to know because I am running the same coils you used for prototyping. Thanks!
I forgot all about it this morning, I’ll check for you tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Speedshifter, those particular wires are no longer around in my collection of parts and I remember throwing them away since I did not have a complete set of 8 that matched. Whatever brand they were, they were nothing more than a set of run-of-the-mill OE replacement wires. The spark plug boots on the MSD wire set you bought are multi-angle and are bendable to custom fit around header tubes. If you want something with a formed angle on it, I would recommend looking up the Taylor 76046 wire set on summit's website.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Speedshifter, those particular wires are no longer around in my collection of parts and I remember throwing them away since I did not have a complete set of 8 that matched. Whatever brand they were, they were nothing more than a set of run-of-the-mill OE replacement wires. The spark plug boots on the MSD wire set you bought are multi-angle and are bendable to custom fit around header tubes. If you want something with a formed angle on it, I would recommend looking up the Taylor 76046 wire set on summit's website.
Thank you for looking! Saw those Taylor’s on summits website. Price is right, but they are longer than stock and look sloppy in the pics under the reviews.

I see that Holley sells a set of wires #561-100 that look identical to the ones you used for prototyping. I might try those.

I also see see that the Hooker website for the header part # suggests buying the Accel ceramic boot plug wires. However, the reviews on those are poor and say that the boots crack over time and are very brittle.

The search continues!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Banned

Thank you for looking! Saw those Taylor’s on summits website. Price is right, but they are longer than stock and look sloppy in the pics under the reviews.

I see that Holley sells a set of wires #561-100 that look identical to the ones you used for prototyping. I might try those.

I also see see that the Hooker website for the header part # suggests buying the Accel ceramic boot plug wires. However, the reviews on those are poor and say that the boots crack over time and are very brittle.

The search continues!
The Holley wire set won’t do you good as they are too short (by about 1-1/4” I’d say) and won’t reach the coils. The appearance of the ceramic boots on the Accel wires would keep me from using them. There’s a ton of wire sets on eBay that would fit dimensionally, but they are all unknown brands to me and so their quality is not something I can gauge.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Banned

Speedshifter, you may want to give the Taylor wire set some more consideration if you are thinking they are too long based on the customer images of them on Summit's website. If you look closely at the images, neither of those customers who posted them have the 99-06 truck coils that have the wire connection stem located on top of the coil, they instead have the round coils that greatly lower the position of the wire connection stem, which create the extra slack you see in the spark plug wires. Just a thought.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I will give them a shot. I am running the square truck coils for my BigStuff3, so you make a good point on the wire length. Thank you!

Old 08-29-2018, 09:31 AM
Banned

Yeah, your truck coils are the same 99-06 square type that I have. The 07-14 square truck coils have the wire connection step located lower down on the side of the coil. Be sure to post up a photo of your results here with the Taylor wires so that oils using the same coils can benefit from your experience.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

I just noticed you are using Holley valve covers. Those place the coils in the center of the covers as opposed to the higher offset position they sit at on the stock valve covers. In your case, the Holley 561-100 wires may actually fit. I tried them with the stock valve covers, which is why I reported that they were too short to reach the coils.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good catch! I’ll probably just order the both sets and send back what doesn’t work.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just noticed you are using Holley valve covers. Those place the coils in the center of the covers as opposed to the higher offset position they sit at on the stock valve covers. In your case, the Holley 561-100 wires may actually fit. I tried them with the stock valve covers, which is why I reported that they were too short to reach the coils.
You were right. The 561-100 wires don’t fit with my coil and valve cover setup. Wires were about 1” too short and the coil connector of the wire was clocked wrong. However, the 135 spark plug boots of the Holley wires fit perfect with the headers.

Going to to order those Taylor wires next...
Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ordered up the Taylor 76045 LS1 car wires and they fit! The 76046 are truck wires and I didn’t want extra length if I didn’t need it.

A coupke notes:

1. The plug boots just barely touch the header bolts. It’s because the boot is so compact in length. Time will tell if this is a problem.

2. The plug terminals firmly “click” onto the plugs, but once installed, they have a bit of wiggle on the plug and I’m uncertain if this will cause a connection issue.

Thanks for for all your help! Hopefully this info helps someone else.

My setup:
Holley valve covers
AC Delco D581 coils
Hooker LS swap headers
GM header gaskets
ARP header bolts
NGK TR6 plugs
Taylor 76045 wires

Last edited by speedshifter; 09-08-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-08-2018, 04:16 AM
Banned

Looks good. What K-member and engine mounting brackets are you using in your car?
Old 09-08-2018, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

AFCO. It’s a nice piece and fits awesome, but pretty sure it’s discontinued. Had the motor mounts modified to move the motor back 1.25” and down 0.25” so that my Procharger will clear the hood.

Quick Reply: New Hooker SN95 Mustang LS swap system preview thread