Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker SN95 Mustang LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BiffB
Wow Todd, I must say you have been great answering questions for us....though Holley as a company needs some serious help. The customer service is REALLY lacking and I know that is not your area. I placed my order (5/28) for all my mounts and like others....still waiting on the 4L80e mount. When I ordered it, it said they would be in stock again in August. I thought no big deal as I can wait. I checked this last weekend and the date for them changed to November!! Well I emailed them my order number on Monday.....no answer. Emailed them again Thursday morning....no answer. I decided to call them up just now to see what the deal was. The lady basically told me what I found online. She said they have 6 back ordered and they are expected in November. Six months to fill an order of 6 back-orders? Then I went on the forum here and found lots of others complaining about this same thing happening on other Holley parts. I am thinking about returning these items and just going with an AJE K member instead. Hate to do that though as I really liked what all you put together.
If there was something I could do to speed up the delivery of parts, I would gladly do it. I completely understand your internal debate on taking a different route.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Bringing this back up. Has anybody been able to get a 4l80e into a ~'02 using the required installation parts? As I mentioned earlier I'm having difficulty getting the trans to go up high enough. Can't go any higher as the trans runs into the shifter pretty hard. If I remove the shifter the top of the trans hits the tunnel in a couple of spots, which will require more hammering still. If I lower the trans slightly by not using the supplied spacer, I just noticed now that the 302-3 oil pan is resting on the crossmember which means the fully installed engine will have to come back out to notch the k-member/crossmember. I'm sorry to say at this point the 4L80e install system isn't working, at least for my car which is a tremendous disappointment. I'm using the required anchor mounts, plates, pan and crossmember. The CTS-V pan that I ran in another Mustang project with a 6.0/th400 fit as good or better. Not sure what the heck happened here. At this point, I would have to recommend an aftermarket K member to try and lower the engine in the front as much as possible so the trans tail doesnt have to be driven upwards as hard.

At this point I'm looking at the TH400 option, which I hope to god fits a little better.

Last edited by 69-chvl; 08-28-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I wish I could help with info 69, but again thanks for letting us know what you are running into. After reading your original post on the issue, I decided that an aftermarket shifter was probably going to be a requirement with this, so I started looking up console modifications for the best options. Looks like the crossmember brackets will not be out until November, so I am still looking at options since I still do not have a transmission yet. I too wondered if a TH400 would be better, but I really want the OD for street driving. Looks like a 4L60E would never hold up to the goals either. I feel for ya on what to do.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I probably should of test fit everything 1st before getting ahead of myself and buying the TermX system, permanently mounting engine and all related equip). Hoping that the th400 can go up higher to get the dam pan off the crossmember b/c I really dont want to pull the engine out after all that work getting it in.

Aftermarket K's with all the related equip (steering shafts, lower control arms, their headers, final alignment) you can get close to $2k or more. And a WHOLE lot more work that I'm just not interested in doing at this point.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Posting a final update to this 4l80e saga - going to abandon it. Just doesn't fit easily and I wasted enough time and money. With the shifter removed you can see the trans housing is up against the body. I will have to butcher the factory console to make this work which I don't really want to do. The other issues are pan touching the K/crossmember and the driveline angles - both which may pose a problem with the th400 who knows. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was frustrated but trying to save some other folks some time/money/energy. Respectfully to Todd and the rest of the Holley team, it appears this was not test-fitted in ~2002 models - possibly assumptions were made that it may????

Old 09-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Sorry to hear you are abandoning this 69. I literally just bought my 4l80e on Friday. Still waiting on my crossmember though and no place to start the project yet. So it looks like cutting the shifter tunnel out will have to be done by your pics. Wish it was more of a fit and forget it swap. The only other post I saw that used the Holley mounts and worked was he made his own crossmember. I did find the 90 degree banjo fittings on eBay for the cooling lines. Not sure what else is going to need to be made to fit. I guess I will go ahead and pull the carpet and trash it since it needs replacing. In case I have to heat up the metal and beat it in with a hammer. That transmission so dang heavy. I am not looking forward to taking it in and out numerous times. I am going to use these examples for a shifter.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the way those shifters look - are those metal trim plates custom or are they avail to the general public. Looks pretty dam clean.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:50 AM
Teching In

So I heard someone use to make them. He was on Facebook at one time on a post I saw and I said please contact me as I am interested in buying a kit. Never heard back. I think he was charging around $200? Could probably have a shop make something like that as well. I think they look great and also it will be nice to put the shifter back further. I sat in my car and guestamated where it would sit with these pics. Where these guys have them to me is perfect!
Old 11-28-2021, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing this back up.

Anybody have a picture of how a ~2002 tail pipe hanger should look? I dont have any that I can see, and looking at the Holley tailpipes its looks like anykind of hanger would be near the end of the tail pipe. My car doesnt have any hangers, but I see some holes in the chassis where they MIGHT go, but not sure. I had a V6 car so that may of made a difference. Thank you
Old 09-11-2023, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the Hooker Headers are no longer available I thought I would share my current build using the Speed Engineering headers and the Hooker Black heart system. This car uses a Team Z k member with Blackheart 1/2" drop engine mounts and the the Blackheart trans crossmember and 2.5 " exhaust system. Other than 3" to 2.5" reducers and vbands for the headers its all plug and play.. I did have to utilize 1/2" k member spacers to get the T56 low enough in the tunnel. Thanks for Toddoky's work in making this system available. It saved alot of time and $ for a guy that has limited fab skills.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

That looks really nice. Why did Hooker stop making headers for it? Covid related?

The headers look good from what I could see. SE seems to do really well with there headers. I just hope they don’t do the Covid price jump
Old 09-11-2023, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
That looks really nice. Why did Hooker stop making headers for it? Covid related?

The headers look good from what I could see. SE seems to do really well with there headers. I just hope they don’t do the Covid price jump
I heard it was EPA related but not sure how true that is.

Quick Reply: New Hooker SN95 Mustang LS swap system preview thread