BMW + 427ci 7.0l + full-on build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power checks... Check

Oil Pressure Sensor location.

Oil Temp location.

New build, old school vibe... that’s been the mission.

There is much going on in this office chair pic.

Street Car... albeit a safer than most street car..
I just looked at a Calendar... it read, August 2018... uhhhh!!!

Apparently 8 months later things look again like I’ve put 2 and 2 together... 427 of them.

This time, Oil Pressure is being monitored from the LS2 valley cover, aft OE location - using thread adapter and nice sensor and wiring and gauge from Longacre... Same for Oil Temp - location for sensor is down by my oil filter on the modded LS1 pan where my Lingenfelter Oil Cooler block is located.

Lastly, another gauge I’ve added is a 2ndary Coolant gauge - sensor located on pass side head near Cy. 8.

Im lacking the effort of merely terminating the power and ground of each gauge to be ready to backfill pressurized oil to the oil pump and up in to motor. Then, reinstall my Alternator, Pwr Steeing Pump and hoses, water pump, tensioner, etc.

Im pretty sure I should start it after that.

Different than last time, I’d really like to have this car on a dyno with someone who knows computer stuff looking at car as it maybe rolls the rollers in a gear while breaking motor in.

I like in Okla where apparently guys like to “go fast”... now I don’t have 3,000hp - so maybe they won’t talk to me - but it’s nearly time to go door knocking.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks great! Getting so close. I'm ready to see this bad boy run and make everyone envious .let me know if you need some help!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Glad to see it coming along nicely. Two thoughts -- 1) did you think about a small heat shield -- header awfully close to oil temp sensor/wiring.....; 2) safer street car in terms of going, stopping, handling, safety shell/cocoon for the driver -- just remember, any part of the roll cage within reach of an un-helmeted head or a hand or a knee or another 'hard' body part has the ability to inflict a lot more damage (even death in the case of your head) than you'd face in a normal street car. There's a lot of "rock and a hard place" spots in the pics. Needless to say, I'm afraid of roll cages being used without a helmet on. Hopefully lots of padding to come. Food for thought.... Car looks fantastic.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is looking ****!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Default Navy Bootcamp Lesson #1 - Wrap Your Sh:t when in Port...

Things are lookin’ up... 🤓

Bubble level.

NASCAR parts Jegs BimmerWorld LongAcre Smileys Oreilly Lowe’s More... what an odd combo of names needed to create this.

Oil cooler hoses going out to Improved Racing Oil Thermo thing.

1/2” bolt/lock washer/nut holding the gauge pod to that beefy clamp - I can rotate gauges towards me if I feel like it’s necessary once all going.

Creative use of a Smileys dirt track cage bar clamp normally used to hang weight on one of them thar dirt cars. Along with Lowe’s bar stock and AutoMeter gauge pod, this was ‘meant to be’ 🙀
... same goes for cars and wires in Hot Spaces - I for sure must heat protect numerous wires going both to Drvr Side and Pass Side of block near headers ... as well as dual O2 wiring as well as Vehicle Speed Signal wires, etc!

I also Must protect occupants in this car with top level sfi protection padding (which is friggin hard to the touch) - it’s nice to have a hatchback bmw which comes with a taller swooping roofline than a sedan or coupe... plus the low mounting of seats, plus 6pt harnesses, plus halo seating - and for Track the dual nets can help if ever needed.

I certainly recognize and appreciate someone observing a danger to another and having the gumption to say what needs said - Yessir, padding is a must and not an “I’ll get to it” matter - same with wiring protection from heat - So, thank you very much!!!

Kids begin school this Thursday - opening up a few more hours per week of car work opportunities.

Yeah I need to put doors, hatch, hood, glass in - but as for firing this car up (at a dyno shop with a tuner on hand) looks like it can happen before End of this month. Ohhhh Boy
Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

We want a video of that oil pressure gauge working as you prime the system.....(grin)..... It's looking magnificent.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Been over a month.....
Old 09-22-2018, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Default A month of going in circles... literally

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Been over a month.....
I should have started my new engine by now. I should have taken car to dyno for tuning / wear-in by now. I should have gotten an alignment by now - and driven car down the street.

Instead, what has happened, is that I cannot find a water pump solution for my PWR water pump that I upgraded to during engine ‘upgrade’.

The LS2 OE water pump and it’s serpentine bell / taper-shaped pulley was what I designed my radiator/e-fan around.

The PWR water pump came with some massive honkin’ square-faced pulley... that is HEAVY and shaped in such a way that my radiator-electric-fan combo now “touch” the outter diameter of the leading edge of the face of the pulley... whew that’s tough to describe clearly.

Its Saturday and I ought to be out in garage... but no proper pulley - I bought a stand-alone billet pulley from Meziere... and funny enough it is not wide enough to work by exactly the 1/2 width of my Serpentine belt. Funny, less than one inch short is causing me to alter the course of my future - hmm, reoccurring dilemma in life :-)

Last edited by MUL8NO1; 09-22-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 09-23-2018, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Default “I’m not a smart man, but I...”

Forrest Gump said it slightly differently than my today’s iteration; “I’m not a smart man, but I do know what an engine is”!

And to prove my age, while finishing up the water pump install and radiator and hose, etc, I began to Hum a mid-90’s song By Celine Dion (uhm, why would I even know that)... “all by myself, don’t want to be - all by myself”!!!

Good grief - THAT is the power of the mind traveling to La-La land while zoning out and doing car work 🧐.

I allowed myself to put my new OE water pump back on since I designed everything to fit around that - I’ll upgrade the pump once I know that I know I have ‘the pump and pulley’.

Tomorrow morning, I’ll add water & wetter and ensure new Deatchworks fuel pump wants to play ball. From there, I should just crank and fire motor - as I added my break-in oil a few weeks ago whenI thought I was ready upon installation of that PRW pump and it’s big honking pulley.

A tapered pulley is where I need to be.

Clearance Clarence!

PWR water pump removal.

I had to give myself a nod of approval - my decisions and execution last year on much of this “make it work” pieces really is not crap!

MUL8NO1

Yes yes... I need to dust the engine bay.

Wifey will appreciate the front bumper for this vehicle to be On It instead of in the upstairs room 😵
Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lookin good.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 AM
TECH Junkie

You’re showing your youth - Celine covered the original by Eric Carmen, 1975. Eric was lead singer of The Raspberries.

Did you check oil pressure gauge while priming the system as planned since previous trauma?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Default See...

You’re showing your youth - Celine covered the original by Eric Carmen, 1975. Eric was lead singer of The Raspberries.

Did you check oil pressure gauge while priming the system as planned since previous trauma?
... more proof I don’t know what I’m doing - at all!!!

ill be on Pandora this morning listening to the OG 70’s version as I must up the courage to fire this motor off - with camera / video rolling!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MUL8NO1

... more proof I don’t know what I’m doing - at all!!!
Can't tell if that's with respect to Celine/Eric or the oil pressure gauge question....LOL!
Old 09-24-2018, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Default Another look see...

Can't tell if that's with respect to Celine/Eric or the oil pressure gauge question....LOL!
So before start, I had to get under the car to hook up VSS connector and driver side O2 connector - and hook up the fancy (to me) Hydraulic t/o bearing line to clutch master cylinder firewall AN fitting.

Then adding water/wetter to system showed me I don’t have a “bleed screw” to help purge air bubbles - so I had to remove the small upper hose that my steam lines go in to at the radiator. That allowed water to fill in motor etc...

As for oil pressure - because I used my one-man brake bleeder to pump oil in to motor and that plastic pump only rendered 20psi at the bottle, my oil pressure sensor located up on the engine valley pan cover only registered 3-5psi... but I saw gauge definitely moving - lite up - full sweep - dual moved off of zero as per above.

I have added the 3 mechanical gauges since the LS2 debacle - Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Coolant Temp... Plus I added a small mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the input side of my fuel rails - easily seen when standing in front of motor.

I -eeeeeee Thinnnnnk I should now test my DW fuel pump and see fuel spit out of fuel line coming forward from C5Z fuel filter/pressure reg... once I see that, I’ll hook that link up at the fuel rail where I said the new fuel pressure gauge resides.

Its surely start time after that 🤤

It won’t be too loud... but hopefully not too quiet either 🙀

Office Chair.

Honey, I’m going to the bar to have a drink... or - Adult Monkey Bars...

Pandora began playing a Prince song as I poured the rest of this second bottle of... Purple Rain - Ha...
Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Default It’s all about the oil pressure...

“Houston, we have oil pressure”.

id stick a few quick videos up if I knew how to do it - pics of progress for now

Wood Piston Fikse U see the connection :-)

I performed a garage floor front alignment... good enough to get car wrenched up in to buddy’s enclosed trailer soon to the visit local alignment shop.

Yep.

While standing on base of rear hatch opening - good time to snap a pic!!!

Oil pressure shot up in just a revolution or two of the motor once my Fitech complete reflash allowed my fuel injectors to receive a gnd signal... the new motor fired off in like 1 engine revolution - wowza - u can certainly tell the computer immediately begins to do its “Math” to learn.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Default Jazzy Bluesy Guitars lead the way today...

Improved steam line routing, fitting now with proper thread tape, leave cap off this time, 2nd break-in oil, added/bled new clutch fluid, blah... lots done today

Daaaaaaang!!!

Tomorrow morning I’ll do another full warm up session and try to properly bleed water/wetter... instead of puke it all out via massive air bubbles by leaving expansion pressure cap on —— oops...
Old 10-07-2018, 03:49 AM
Teching In

Awesome roller coaster of a build thread man. Ready to see this thing tearing up the track!
Old 10-07-2018, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Get someone to show you how to put a vid in dropbox or on youtube or something - we wanna hear it! Congrats.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh....and....if you can, have ride height, corner weighting and alignment with you or something that weighs what you do, in the driver's seat.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Default Corners and balance

Oh....and....if you can, have ride height, corner weighting and alignment with you or something that weighs what you do, in the driver's seat.
I will corner weight car with proper load weighting etc ... as I’ve done on plethora of other road race cars for self and others - and get align fo sho !!!

Updates this evening as car comes back together and I get my next heat cycle out of the way - hopefully more successful that first one from last week 🤮

Quick Reply: BMW + 427ci 7.0l + full-on build