Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC and dual "fans on" one or two relays?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC and dual "fans on" one or two relays?

I'm trying to understand how to activate dual fans with AC.

I have an E38 PCM and a SPEARTECH harness, Vintage air and dual fans.

Speartech calls for fan One and fan Two. the harness has dedicated 12v + (keyed) and ground (switched) signal for each fans.

So when I add AC now I need to activate both fans at AC on through trinary switch.

When I contacted speartech they said to split the AC on signal to each relay.
My concern is that when I combine both relays to the one AC on signal that I am essentially tying the fan one and fan two signal from the pcm together and both fans will come on when just fan one is activated by pcm.

My thinking is that I will need two additional relays to keep the signals separated, correct?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe E38 has fan high and low. If so you could turn one fan on or two. One would be for Low and Two for high. . various features exist and temps need to be set properly for Low and high.

Yes you need different relays to keep the controls separate.

Use a busbar or isolated junction stud to join the input 12v+ for one of the fans. One input from AC triggered relay and the other from the pcm triggered relay but the relays are separate.

If it was me I’d have the AC call for just one fan via trinary when pressure hits threshold and the pcm call for one fan at Low and then both at high speed. If not Low and high features exist then have the pcm trigger both fan relays when temp criterion met.

Last edited by DW SD; 01-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

If you set it up like I suggest...
1 relay for AC triggered fan.
1 relay for pcm triggered Low to 1 fan (output to other fan from AC fan. )
1 relay for pcm triggered high - both.
use a small bus bar or isolated junction stud at each to join the outputs from each relay.
I run this setup but with one 16” Spal fan. Trinary or pcm can control fan separately. For me just two relays.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

I guess my next question is, Is one fan enough to pull plenty of air across the condenser for sufficient AC operation? wouldn't it be possible for the AC to build to much pressure and shut down before the the pcm sensed high enough temp to activate the second fan?
Old 01-13-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

My fan pulls enough air even when hot ambient to cycle the fan off and on. Might have 30 seconds off. Some Trinary switch will also serve as safety if pressures get too hig and interrupt compressor clutch.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You could put diodes in the AC signal wires to keep from feedback triggering the second fan. Think of diodes as a one-way valve for electricity.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ach1992880
You could put diodes in the AC signal wires to keep from feedback triggering the second fan. Think of diodes as a one-way valve for electricity.
Think I tried that but caused CEL code. Computer looks for connection to ground through relay. Again I might be wrong. Maybe the diode was wired in backwards. But that is pretty simple to get right.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

I had this though, but don't know much about it.

I just went to youtube and did some research. All the info I saw indicated a positive and negative connection to the diode. In the relay application wouldn't it be negative and negative?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

In relay the output from trinary or pcm is connected to trigger side ground of the relay. Trinary must then pass through ground when pressure switch is closed.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Looks like this dual contact relay could be the answer.

https://www.delcity.net/images/lined...20170424182941
Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would consider the Entropy Fan controller set-up. I would install it as a stand alone system. I have it. You can adjust fan temps etc. Its a nice set-up. http://www.entropyrad.com/lsx-series...ontroller.html
Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DT69cam
I would consider the Entropy Fan controller set-up. I would install it as a stand alone system. I have it. You can adjust fan temps etc. Its a nice set-up. http://www.entropyrad.com/lsx-series...ontroller.html
Thanks, but I believe the dual contact relay I posted above is all I need. The pcm already controls the fans in a high/low configuration and the relay will let the AC turn on the fans when necessary.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Did you see this thread?
Old 01-15-2018, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Another option would be to use the factory pressure switch and enable via ECM. Then the relay wiring becomes greatly simplified. Just high and low.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Senna
Looks like this dual contact relay could be the answer.

https://www.delcity.net/images/lined...20170424182941
I think that would work for the PCM high, but it doesn't have dual input circuits. You really want to have separate trigger circuits from the PCM and trinary.

Lots of ways to skin this one.

Doug
Old 01-16-2018, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DW SD
I think that would work for the PCM high, but it doesn't have dual input circuits. You really want to have separate trigger circuits from the PCM and trinary.

Lots of ways to skin this one.

Doug
Yea, I don't know which way I am going to go.

My thought on the dual contact relay was, one signal in from trinary and two signals out to each fan. That way I would avoid tying the two fan signals from the pcm together which would cause them to act as one instead of individuals. But as do research it apears the pcm could set a CEL if it sees an unauthorized ground.

I like the idea of diodes but the information I have gathered is not conclusive.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Entropy controller is looking pretty good LOL
Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

I haven't got mine up and running yet but my BP automotive harness has the pressure switch built in and uses a binary and 3 relays controlled through the ecm... ugh my head hurts
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DT69cam
That Entropy controller is looking pretty good LOL
I'm not in a huge hurry. I still believe it can be done for the cost of a relay or some diodes.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

My son was over last night, we were talking about the AC and controlling the fans and he had a suggestion that sounds like a good solution.

His suggestion was to use two additional relays and instead of combining the signals from the pcm and trinary to combine the battery + leads going to the fan motors. Basically two complete separate systems both powering the fans.

So this way there is no back feeding issues or no unauthorized grounds to set a CEL.

Quick Reply: AC and dual "fans on" one or two relays?