Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 volvo 960 wagon 6.0 t56

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 volvo 960 wagon 6.0 t56

copied from turbobricks so it might not make alot of chronological sense all in one post.

got me a 92 Volvo 960 wagon to use as a daily. I had the ls drivetrain in a 57 buick project car I built which was just too nice of a setup for that car to just sit around and not be driven so I found this running driving wagon on CL for $500 to swap it into. engine is a aluminum ls2, with l92 rectangle port heads, and a ls9 cam, it has the gm muscle car oil pan.
a friend of mine and I went to look at it and i got it the next day. drove it home on back roads about 20 miles with a slipping trans on hills and brakes that felt awful but still stopped, ride was smooth, exhaust was loud , fuel smell was mixing with the oil burning smell.
Name:  TqL9OqO.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  133.9 KB
upon arrival home I decided to pull the rear wheels to see what the deal was with the horrible brakes. I discovered the left rear caliper wasn't even attached and was hanging off of the coil spring with some bailing wire. that would explain it!
Name:  XebveDm.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  133.4 KB
ordered a bunch-o parts and started to get to work. I pulled the engine and trans within a few days of getting it home. was going to try to hang on to the drivetrain and sell it but my engine hoist decided to break a wheel with all the stuff still hanging there so I immediately just backed my truck up to it and loaded it up to take to the scrap yard. I salvaged the coolant temp sensor and wiring and the main battery wiring to the starter/grounds and took pics of certain wires to get an idea of what color to look for for later in the swap.
Name:  M0KGiph.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  114.6 KB
Name:  o0G2h8b.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  109.3 KB
got my mounts a few days later from STS, who didn't send any hardware, and what they did send quickly after which was nice, but ended up being useless for my application. had to make my own little plates for the new engine rubber mounts to bolt to.
bought a caster, fixed my engine hoist, test fit the ls engine, took awhile to get the oil pan past the subframe to let everything drop into place. had to do some measuring, some modifying, but I eventually got the engine mounts all setup where it looked like a good spot.
Name:  9GMk9Qp.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  120.4 KB
Name:  wQjLljr.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  128.5 KB
Name:  jkm85l7.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  64.6 KB
Name:  uo7HB63.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  100.8 KB
originally had truck accessories lined up for this car which I thought would work but ended up being way off. switched to car accessories but still truck spacing trying to keep cost down. barely fits but itll work.
Name:  5WvUBCa.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  68.3 KB
Name:  r3duv0C.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  75.6 KB
I modified the stock transmission crossmember to work with the t56 with just a simple plate and few drilled holes.
I found a clutch pedal assembly on ebay for 940 and had to do a few tweaks to make mine fit. also using a factory clutch master.
Name:  ukzKCVJ.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  96.4 KB
exhaust was some ebay special hooker cast manifolds that cleared the steering shaft no problem and passenger side I could've used whatever manifold I wanted spacewise but theyre a matching set so itll work. they point directly at the control arm pivot points so when I got the exhaust done they had to angle away from it after the flange to make sure it didn't hit.
fuel is a walbro 400 mounted in tank, with the corvette fpr/filter mounted underneath where the old external pump sits.
got the oem driveshaft shortened, the shop shortened it way too much, so I bought a longer slip yoke to make it work and its fine now.

brakes I saw STS made the v70r caliper brackets which seemed like a great idea since I was replacing all the brake stuff due to the car having 250k on it, and I needed to stop this car well lol.

Name:  nsqNDvB.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  74.2 KB
Name:  oyqq3tX.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  U8sB8Hw.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  91.9 KB
Name:  CGbcFAu.jpg
Size:  150.2 KB
just got it on the road last week and so far this car is a riot. I have a few kinks I need to work out but its still driveable as is which is all I care about. took it on the highway for the first time on a 60 mile round trip and it cruises nicely.
Name:  jHL4rEn.jpg
Size:  74.7 KB
Name:  EouVbHC.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  102.0 KB

crappy pic of the big brakes lol I'm so bad at photography
Name:  18qvMd3.jpg
Size:  67.6 KB
put about 150 miles on it so far, definitely needs the tune dialed in, which I expected anyways, getting awful gas mileage and my tailpipe is black , wired in my wideband but apparently my o2 bung plug is seized and I cant actually install the sensor. gonna get that fixed.
I think I may switch to my wilwood 3/4" clutch master so I can have some adjustability , the stock Volvo master doesn't seem to completely disengage the twin disc clutch I have. it seems to shift fine if its the right mph/rpm for the next gear, but anything other than that is likes to fight me.
I also will adjust the transmission mount soon as I think the bellhousing is still hitting the firewall slightly on the top, getting a nasty vibration at like 2k rpm. but ive got the transmission spaced up about an inch off that mount that I can play with, just need to find motivation now that is snowing and cold around here lately
also got my 8.8 axle brackets in, that's pretty exciting and stressful at the same time, don't really want to mess with that but I know ill feel better once its done and installed.

Name:  s5z20VH.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  592.8 KB
a little shot after a drive to work

Name:  BrlY1Zz.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  94.8 KB
driving through all weather conditions

Name:  sIvgwhO.jpg
Size:  67.9 KB
swapped some rear springs out, this is the before

Name:  Dr8YiGo.jpg
Size:  77.4 KB
after, theyre actually f body rear springs ironically lol

I replaced all the bushings up front, panhard bar bushings, got trailing arm bushings to install when I do the 8.8 swap.

got my wideband installed, wow was my base tune way off, rich everywhere. ive been street tuning it with my hptuners, its currently in its first closed loop tune, so far its not too bad, a few spots that need some tweaking, ill need to look at the fuel trims again once its gets a little warmer out but overall I cant complain. ive put about 700 miles on it as of this post date. had a few hiccups but nothing crazy. hopefully will be able to see some track time this year.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great project and quite the sleeper.

What type of muffler did you go with?

What was the reason for the rear spring swap? I doesn't appear to have altered ride height noticeably. I'm assuming they're a stiffer spring.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks. Muffler is a single stainless magnaflow oval with a stock style tailpipe .

Name:  8BxQBMb.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  184.3 KB
Rear spring swap was a. 250k mile spring replacement lol and b. To have a little stiffer spring and keep the fender off the tire under load . Shocks are new bilsteins .
Originally Posted by BudRacing
Great project and quite the sleeper.

What type of muffler did you go with?

What was the reason for the rear spring swap? I doesn't appear to have altered ride height noticeably. I'm assuming they're a stiffer spring.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Cool. You make it seem so easy.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Cool. You make it seem so easy.
haha thanks. I guess I should've said this isn't my first LS swap. I've done a FC Rx7, a few Square body Chevy trucks and my 57 buick, now this car.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:56 PM
Teching In

I know this thread is old but what did you end up doing with clutch master? What size line/ hose?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by levik
I know this thread is old but what did you end up doing with clutch master? What size line/ hose?
oem volvo 740 clutch master , with a m10x1.0 banjo bolt to 3an adapter from ebay, then 3an line to 3an to a t56 tob fitting I believe from speedway motors
Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a link to your write up on TurboBricks? So I can read it chronologically.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lightning95sc
Do you have a link to your write up on TurboBricks? So I can read it chronologically.
out of town rihht now but im not that great at build threads , just ask me what you need and I'll tell you.

Quick Reply: 1992 volvo 960 wagon 6.0 t56