Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 comes out of 1st & 2nd when letting out the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 comes out of 1st & 2nd when letting out the clutch

Good afternoon and happy fathers day to all the other dads out there. Anyways here is my problem....I have installed a T56 out of a 06 GTO installed in my G35 mated to a LS1. I put a new GM slave cylinder and Monster stage 3 clutch before the engine went into the car. Car is now done and off of jack stands but I am having transmission issues. With the car off it will shift perfectly smooth through all gears. If I start the car with it in neutral, I can;t shift into any gear except 4th, 6th, and reverse. The car will move just fine in those gears. If I try shifting into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 5th, the shifter won't move and it feels like I am pressing against a brick wall.

If the transmission is in 1st or 2nd before starting, once I start it and begin to let out the clutch, the shifter pops out of gear and back into neutral. If I try and hold the shifter in gear when letting out the clutch, I get some bad grinding and I have to push the clutch pedal in to make it stop. With the car in 1st and the clutch pressed in, I can hear a light roaring noise,maybe coming from the throw-out bearing??

I have an adjustable master cylinder and I have tried adjusting it from one end of the spectrum, to the other end, and everything in between with no changes in shift-ability. I have bled the clutch multiple times and I am confident that there is no air left in the system.

What's the likely-hood that I got a bad slave or throw-out bearing? Yanking the engine & transmission isn't a huge PITA (I need to wrap my headers anyways), but I would only like to do this if there is no other options. Any input would be awesome. Thanks!

-Drew
Old 06-17-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

If its popping out of gear then atleast 1st and 2nd are going to be replaced. the trans not going into gear is probably from worn blocker rings rather than the clutch since it shifts into 4th and 6th easily unless you didnt use the correct transmission fluid. You should be using Dextron 3.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Damn......not the news I wanted to hear, although I had a bad feeling about it. I filled with M1 syn ATF.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

thats probably why it wont go into the other gears, you cant run synthetic fluid in these trannys only dextron 3 or equivalent
Old 06-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Teching In

I'll try a fluid change and see if that changes anything
Old 06-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Had a gin and La Croix and decided to go mess with the car. If I have the car running, press clutch pedal down, shift into 6th then into 1st, the car works normally. If I am neutral and try to go straight to 1st, it's just like pressing against a brick wall again. Fluid change coming tomorrow!
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Drained and refilled with ~4 qts regular old Dexron III and it still has the same problem. Will move in 4th, 6th, and reverse. I can sometimes get it to move in first if I press clutch in, shift into 6th, and then into 1st. Any other options to try before I start talking to Tick about a rebuild?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Fluid change is a waste of time and money, you have internal problems. The longer you drive the worse those problems will become.

These transmissions aren't difficult to rebuild IF you understand their operation, don't get in a hurry and pay attention to the details.
I'm not a fan of Tick.
If rebuilding the T-56 yourself isn't something you are interested in, I would contact Texas Drivetrain Performance (Google) for options. I purchased a clutch from him years ago, had great service and shipping.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The longer you drive the worse those problems will become.
I wish I had gotten to drive it. Since I've got the project finished enough to take the car down off of jack stands, I have only pulled it out of the garage and then back in once I felt the trans problems.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to pull the motor and trans and see if anything looks blatantly out of place - I don't think I will find anything so then I am probably talking rebuild after that. Thanks for the referral, I'll look into it and see what I can find.

I have full confidence in my mechanical abilities, but I don't think I want to tackle re-building a tranny right now. Any experience with Tick and why you don't like them? I've only read all good reviews of the trans rebuilds.

-Drew
Old 06-21-2018, 04:12 PM
AOG
Teching In

How far down on the pedal does it disengage? If it's really far down, it's possible the clutch isn't fully disengaging and torque is being applied to the input shaft. Also, the input shaft may not be properly centered with the crank centerline - you might have normal disengage pedal position in this case. Sometimes offset dowel pins are needed to center the input shaft to the crank. Even if it goes into the pilot bearing, it doesn't mean it's straight. Factory bellhousings can also be off. The reason why I'm thinking this is that it's easy to put into the high gears where the input torque is at a disadvantage and it's being overcome by the synchros. Hitting a brick wall, to me, means you're being blocked by the synchro. Push it hard enough and you may hear a grind which tells you the input is still spinning. I would do more investigating before throwing dollars at it. If the input shaft has not been offset for too long, I can see it trying to pop out of gear.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm glad you haven't driven the car far.

Originally Posted by drews240sx
I have full confidence in my mechanical abilities, but I don't think I want to tackle re-building a tranny right now. Any experience with Tick and why you don't like them? I've only read all good reviews of the trans rebuilds.

-Drew
I understand not wanting to tackle a transmission rebuild, it isn't for everyone. There are a lot of small parts that need to be assembled with a good bit of detail to get it right and the rebuild process takes a fair amount of space. I did mine six or so years ago and it still shifts like new. If my other transmission ever develops a problem I'll rebuild it as well. I purchased all the internals I needed from D&D Performance and they were perfect to deal with.

The situation with Tick and I was not regarding one of their transmission rebuilds, it was about upgrade parts, tools and the communication / service that goes with them. At first I thought I was alone but by chance (i.e. not looking) I have personally met at least three other people at separate times in the LSx community who feel the same way I do about Tick.

To avoid cluttering the thread we can speak via PM if you want additional details.

Quick Reply: T56 comes out of 1st & 2nd when letting out the clutch