Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This one is for KWhizz and the guys! (1967 Pontiac Bonneville)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And here we have a rare and beautiful creature, the 1967 Bonneville. (Also know as the “BondoVille”) Captured here in unfamiliar setting of a warm and clean garage, this magnificent creature is more at home on the open road, blasting along at 70 mph, the sounds of a roaring exhaust and rock and roll streaming from it’s windows combining to create an unmistakable and sweet sound. The owner of this one is carefully disassembling it, with the intention of rebuilding it to be faster, smoother, and sweeter than before!

Let the fun and games begin!

(And the sweat, blood and tears! If you aren't bleeding on it, you aren't REALLY working on it.)

Old 01-24-2019, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Here's my old one, sad part is I'm still working on it. Retired now so I can work on it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...c5r-427-a.html
Old 01-24-2019, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

your body work is in better shape.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks!

Pulled off all the exhaust, driveline and other crap. I'm two motor mounts away from jerking this iron pig out. Had to take a break for some grub. (Gotta feed the tool fetcher too!)
Attached Thumbnails This one is for KWhizz and the guys! (1967 Pontiac Bonneville)-photo492.jpg  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by mrtucktuck
thanks!

Pulled off all the exhaust, driveline and other crap. I'm two motor mounts away from jerking this iron pig out. Had to take a break for some grub. (gotta feed the tool fetcher too!)
lol !!!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Lucky me, the trans cross member was only bolted in! (I've seem the ones that needed to be cut out... ouch)
Engine coming out today, and then the front end will be pulled off. I've got a pressure washer standing by, time to give her a REAL bath!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:09 AM
Teching In

The promise I made to myself was that I'd do SOMETHING everyday... that way she won't get neglected in the corner. I swear, I'm going to cruise the hell out of this beast this summer!
Engine, trans and all my extra parts got sold to a friend. He showed up with 500.00, and I gave him engine, trans, radiator, mufflers, wiper motor and arms, two carbs, original hood tachometer, the front seat and a bunch of other stuff. It was like Christmas, in January! Wait until I strip the rest of the stuff off, he's going lose his mind.

It's late, and I'm tired... I'm sure I've seen these answered somewhere ...

1) My front sway bar is about 1/2" thick (Yes, I'm exaggerating.) Where can I get a bigger one? Are there any made to fit, or even interchange? I swear I read something about using a Firebird WS6 bar, but I'm not sure.

2) Speaking of interchange, how do I get a posi rear end without paying top dollar? Again, I thought I'd read something about late model Caddy rear ends.. or a different B-body. Any ideas? I didn't even care if it's disc, as I know how to make that conversion rather easily. (Early 2000's Blazer and Envoy backing plates and hardware! Super cheap!)

I have faith that someone here knows something. Lunch is on me for the guy who figures it out. (Please include phone number of nearby delivery pizza place with answer.)

Thanks, fellas!

If cleanliness is godliness, consider this my prayer.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

It's rare to see old Bonnevilles rolling around anymore.
Mine has to be one of my favorite cars to drive.
I''ll be following your thread.
Cheers.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by multiplicityZ
It's rare to see old Bonnevilles rolling around anymore.
Mine has to be one of my favorite cars to drive.
I''ll be following your thread.
Cheers.

Thanks! Yeah, in a sea of A-Bodies and Mustang, my girl stands out in the best way. I either get people that don't know what it is, or people who've had them and loved them.

Answering my own question, I see the CPP 1 1/8 sway bar, I'm thinking that's the one that I want. (It's amazing what a few hours sleep can do for you.)

The rear end question still stands!
Old 01-31-2019, 05:56 PM
Teching In

I'm hearing that a rear end out of a Buick Roadmaster might work.. or a mid 90's Impala. B-bodies for the win, baby!
Had to spend some time working on the daily driver. (BMW RT1100 .. damned German over engineering! 21 screws to pull a fairing? SCREW YOU!)
Managed to spend SOME time on the Pontiac. Pulled the front fenders, the fuel tank, the AC box, and the rest of the exhaust off.
Next up? A-Arms and Steering. After that, pressure washing and paint prep.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Rest of the front suspension is gone. Now, to clean and prep the beast.
Have a nice conversation with the guy that owns Rebel Wire about blending my gauges into the speedo cluster.
Super helpful, and nice as hell. I could do it myself, but thinking that I might just ship the cluster to him and let the expert puzzle it out.

More pictures coming soon!
Old 02-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

what a cool car! keep the posts coming, i'm following along!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Narxoleptic
what a cool car! keep the posts coming, i'm following along!

Ask, and ya shall receive!
Been busy this week with other issues, but got some time in to finish pulling off the front end. Was standing there, all proud of my handiwork when I realized that I had outsmarted myself.
How the hell was I going to be able to move the car around to steam clean the undercarriage? So, I thought about it for a while, and then off to Amazon I went! (Such magic!)

Here's my hack. Bolt it to the front end, gives me 10 inches of vertical adjustment, and rolls like a dream.
What do you all think? Thumbs up? Or Thumbs down?

Old 02-08-2019, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Genius!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Whatever it takes...……. Moving along quite nicely !!!!!
Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What a great idea, when you are finished you can build a trailer around it!!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTuckTuck
Ask, and ya shall receive!
Been busy this week with other issues, but got some time in to finish pulling off the front end. Was standing there, all proud of my handiwork when I realized that I had outsmarted myself.
How the hell was I going to be able to move the car around to steam clean the undercarriage? So, I thought about it for a while, and then off to Amazon I went! (Such magic!)

Here's my hack. Bolt it to the front end, gives me 10 inches of vertical adjustment, and rolls like a dream.
What do you all think? Thumbs up? Or Thumbs down?

Great car, & great creativity in working your way out of the corner! Good luck with the build, I'll be following along...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:08 AM
Teching In

I'm a little disappointed, not a single boat joke? Ya'all are slacking!

Spent a little time with a half gallon of super clean and a pressure washer. Feel like an archaeologist, digging through the layers of dirt. If nothing elseshe'll go faster just from losing the weight of the dirt. Tomorrow, GRINDER TIME!!

By the way, KWhizz, I took your advice and got the QA1 coilovers. (Of course I did.. you haven't steered me wrong yet!)

Old 02-17-2019, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Crossover and oil pan

Hello. I show you some picture from my 65 Pontiac project. I use a lot of time figuring out correct engine mount- frame bracket and oil pan, so i publish this photo here, so you can see how i do this
link is here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...lle-lq9-2.html

Holleuy 302 -2 . I have to section away 1 "

I use frame bracket from gm A -body 68-72. ( chevelle BB )
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by Tarjaei
Hello. I show you some picture from my 65 Pontiac project. I use a lot of time figuring out correct engine mount- frame bracket and oil pan, so i publish this photo here, so you can see how i do this
link is here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...lle-lq9-2.html

I use frame bracket from gm A -body 68-72. ( chevelle BB )
Thank you very much for the pictures, Tarjaei! I've been watching your build for a while, as you are one of the only other Pontiacs that is similiar to mine.
Hopefully, I won't need to section the oil pan. I've purchased some of the plates that KWhizz makes to set the motor in the right position, and I purchased the mounts from BRP Hotrods.
I'm sure that between the two of them, I'll get it mounted at some point!
http://www.brphotrods.com/products/6...cts/index.html

I let my OCD run a little wild this weekend, which can be a dangerous thing ... LOL I grabbed my Bluetooth headphones, slapped on my eye protection, and took my grinder and went to town. I
still have some more to finish, but I managed to scrub off at least 25 pounds of dirt, grease and old crap. I haven't found any rust yet! (One of the few good things about living in California!)
I'm smiling in the picture, can you tell? My daughter says you can. (But first, let me take a selfie!)

Shiny shock mounts!

Those were brand new when I started, and I've got two more to go. 20 bucks a pop.. they add up quick!

So many little holes to fill. Time to fire up the welder!