Old 05-15-2019, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good keep up the good work!
Old 05-16-2019, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Most guys use the P car fans from what I've seen. They do a good job of cooling and are sufficient for the majority of the swaps I've seen. I researched about 20 different LS and even a few Coyote P car swaps prior to starting mine and I only remember the air cooled cars with custom radiators having issues. An engine oil cooler would probably be the best addition instead of changing out the P car fans, IMO. In my Jeep LS swap I run a Griffin radiator with Volvo fan and relay which has been ridiculous for keeping it cool. Even with a less than stellar shroud design it keeps it cool and the GM ECU controls the factory Volvo relay (ground activated). I also run a huge Griffin trans cooler and will be adding an engine oil cooler in the winter which helps keep all the temps down. Even the steering has a giant cooler which helps take heat away from the steering pump. Just my two cents!

Looking forward to more progress as I am a big fan of the Cayman body design.

edit: Are you on the Facebook Porsche Swaps group? They have a K6 computer setup that will run your Porsche ECU and the LS ECU together to make the systems communicate well together. AEM also has a package that replaces the P car ECU and LS ECU with theirs for an easy swap but it's $4500. IIRC, the K6 computer is under $1000.
That sounds great, I do use Facebook and will check out the systems. Thank you guys for all your support. The engine is coming today, so
that's going to give me everything i need to start building the engine/trans support infrastructure.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Being an aircooled VW guy going way back, I'd like to see some pics of the 914, if you have any.
That car with a V8 swap would be scary fast.

Following.

Jay
Old 05-19-2019, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinMI
Being an aircooled VW guy going way back, I'd like to see some pics of the 914, if you have any.
That car with a V8 swap would be scary fast.

Following.

Jay
Hey, me too! VW's were cool, back in the day. Had a '63 bug with sunroof. Had lots of fun with it!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I got into VW's when I was 14 (32 years ago, ugh). My first car was a '70 Sunroof. My first project car was a '67 (that I ended up scrapping.)
I'm still a fan, tho.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh yeah, I doubt that once the Bug bites, the cool factor ever fades....
Old 05-22-2019, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

This was my second V8 car (914) the Cayman is the same car with modern upgrades. This V8 car had a complete 996 suspension. My Cayman will keep water out because it has modern rubber gaskets, the 914 leaked water / air everywhere !!!!!

The picture below shows the aluminum struts (marked up in red lines) that I am replacing with steel peaces triangled all around. I'll get up
some pictures up soon.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

I'm working on the new sub-frame, in each of the front 2 attaching points I am going to install 2 new studs to hold the corners inplace.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by driveability
I'm now in the process of "waiting for parts". The suspension hardware on a 12 year old car sure gets dirty so I took the time to clean everything up. Using a mock up LS3 block so its going to be a little lighter and that helps.
Placement of the engine is really critical, starting with how to stack the accessories. I'm running a alternator, A/C compressor, for sure. Thinking to place them on the passenger side and maybe a belt driven water pump as well. Until the parts come in thumb twiddling is getting old!! It comes down to spending money and often I drag my feet looking for a "special deal" LOL . I really want to run a LS7 because 500 hp is where I want to be. There are guys who have de-stroked the LS3 using a crank from a 4.8 and that interests me as well. I do plan to fabricate a lot of the basic hardware. Making up the engine and transmission support structure along with the electric power steering pump I've done twice before in my 2 V8-914's.
Hope everyone's well !!!!
I actually had a de-stroked LS3 in a S13 (240SX) and it was an awesome car. A cammed LS does make more torque everywhere but I could still break the rear end loose with the torque down low. It just made it much easier to hook and it SCREAMED at 7600RPM. I could rev it more but for a backyard drift car I wanted to keep it understressed. 8200 was about the limit with 8000 being where power stopped rising.

For the Cayman I do think it would be a great idea, but you're better off doing a mild cam with heads for the 500HP and using a different final drive, while also being sure to do everything oiling wise to avoid knocking the engine. I ran a accusump that was in the cabin above the engine cover on my 3.4L Cayman S which would do well on an LS as well.

I had another account on here many years ago but forgot the login, whoops. Glad to have something to come check on. Keep up the progress OP
Old 05-28-2019, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

so this is a picture of the inner rocker panel shows the extra fastener employed to support the new engine package. I need a starter
ring gear don't have one as yet, funny it's not an easy thing to find separately !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any help ???

here is a picture of the fastener on the outside

another picture of the engine support system, its a busy place and hard to really see what's going on but its coming along.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

So I've been looking around feverishly for a flywheel ring gear, can't seem to find just the ring gear !! I am reviewing conversion pictures of other Cayman LS swaps and come across a picture of a Cayman swap flywheel on a LS3. I see the LS3 flex plate ?? LOL For some reason I thought I would be using the Porsche ring gear !!!! Well now I know I have the flex-plate / ring gear I need !!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldn't that depend on where the starter is mounted? If mounted to the engine, then yeah, the LS3 gear is the one...
Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Default Flywheel

Try Stuttgart muscle they have what you need.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

So I am almost finished with the sub-frame. Yes my welds are the uglyest ever. I'm going to map out some drain holes and then paint everything.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Since you have the room why not triangulate the engine mount? Just seem a little tall to have no bracing to me.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (01-16-2022)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Since you have the room why not triangulate the engine mount? Just seem a little tall to have no bracing to me.
I agree. Gonna be a lot of leverage on that TALL mount column.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

I agree the engine's going to need more support. This is a work in process and I do want input, So thanks
There is a lot of room in the engine bay because the LS3 isn't nearly as wide as the flat 3.4 . When your building a
car that's mid-engine and a hard top (alone in your garage) seeing everything well and the first time is a challenge.
My CL65, conventional front engine layout is much easier to see everything in one snapshot. My LS6 Porsche 914
was a mid-engine car but didn't have a traditional hard top or concealed engine bay so I could get a good picture of
everything. This car is different a bit more of a challenge. The engine wiring / ECM kit / package is on back-order but
should be coming in the next week or so .
Old 06-10-2019, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

%%%%%%%% So here is a crude drawing (both mounts will have the added structure) of the extra steel I'm going to add to my engine cradle. The peaces are .120 wall and as it is not sexy it will do the job and not get in the way of other future add-ons. Seems like this project is just crawling along slow going but hopefully I can get the car running and driving this year
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

That should help a lot. I was almost thinking some fore and aft bracing might help, but not sure it's needed if the tranny is firmly mounted.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
That should help a lot. I was almost thinking some fore and aft bracing might help, but not sure it's needed if the tranny is firmly mounted.
Well the trans is held in with the factory mounts, i'm not that guy at the car rally who hammers his tires until they pop !!! This 6 speed would be gone before most any other parts. I'm only about 1 1/2 inch back with the trans / axle setup should work well. I'm still trying to figure out the best water pump / crank pulley to use. I would like to use an LS4 style balancer and water pump but with my LS3 maybe it won't fit ??? I understand the crank snout will hang over I can work with that. I just don't know what will fit this engine.

Quick Reply: Cayman ls project begins