Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New smaller A/C hoses ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
Default New smaller A/C hoses ??

I was told by a friend about some A/C hoses that are smaller and more flexible than the standard hoses. They are calling them reduced vapor barrier hoses. Anyway, they would definitely help me create some space on my street rod build. I've looked around online and there seems to be a handful of companies that offer these, but I'm looking for a little more info.
Has anyone used these?
What brands should I research?
What about the tooling to make the crimps on the fittings?
Any info on these would be appreciated......
Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,525 Posts

They likely came out when R134 came out as the old hoses were leaking like a sieve with the new gas.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 466 Likes on 365 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Call vintage ac. They will sell you the right fittings and rent you the crimp tool to make your own lines. That's what we did on my uncles 56 belair.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could go to a truck dealer like Kenworth Peterbuilt or Freightliner and just buy hose and fittings from them. Most truck dealers service departments will crimp the hose fittings for you after you've cut them to length and orientated the fittings and marked them. I'm in the a/c business for cars and trucks and for the small amount of barrier reduced hoses that I need to fix I just go to a dealer.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Vintage Air sells a hose system called EZ-Clip that is smaller in diameter and more flexible than standard A/C hose. It uses a different type of crimp connection, that to me doesn't look as nice, but they're supposed to be foolproof. I used mostly hardline on my car, with rubber at the flex points. If you have someone who can TIG aluminum fittings the possibilities are almost endless.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Vintage Air sells a hose system called EZ-Clip that is smaller in diameter and more flexible than standard A/C hose. It uses a different type of crimp connection, that to me doesn't look as nice, but they're supposed to be foolproof. I used mostly hardline on my car, with rubber at the flex points. If you have someone who can TIG aluminum fittings the possibilities are almost endless.
Yup that's the kit. VA uses the hose from Aeroquip hoses in their kit. I retrofitted the new hoses in my 67 and I like it alot. The hoses are smaller/more flexible so it was a lot easier to route/install.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plumbed my car using reduced barrier hose, as I needed the smaller diameter for devious path routing. It was nice not having to punch large holes in bulkheads, etc. Perhaps there are more vendors offering the correct fittings for RBH. When I did mine, there was a manufacturer that sold direct; unfortunately, they no longer do. As for the crimping, I took my stuff to my local NAPA store. They had no problem crimping the fittings.

Andy1
Old 02-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vintage Air is way overpriced. I've been able to find good stuff on Ebay at much lower prices than VA. I recommend the hoses. They work really well and you can crimp them yourself. Installs with them are way easier. Here's a thread about them on protouring.com.

Alex

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t=#post1283687
Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought all of my hose and fitting via Cold-Hose. Nice folks and the prices are hard to beat. They also welded up a couple of custom fittings converting Scion hard lines to crimp line which worked out well as the lines into the expansion valve are OEM only. Again prices were very good. I went with the regular sized hose. Bought a Master Cool crimp kit off Ebay for $135 IIRC,,, they do sell ones with the reduced size dies but they do get expensive.

https://coldhose.com/

From their website

Explanation of Reduced Barrier Fittings:

Reduced barrier fittings have the same inner diameter as standard barrier fittings, but the outer diameter is smaller.
In other words the thickness of reduced barrier hose has a reduced outer diameter compared to standard barrier hose.

If you need reduced barrier fittings choose the fitting part numbers with a SR (Steel) or RB (Aluminum) as the prefix. Reduced Barrier Hose:=center

The reduced barrier hose is a thinner wall construction that offers improved flexibility and reduced weight without sacrificing permeation resistance and burst strength. The hose is compatible with most common refrigerants including R12 and R134a. The hose is constructed with a single braid of polyester reinforcement. This hose is designed to exceed both SAE J2064 and OEM manufacturer requirements.

Last edited by gtpvette; 02-21-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also recommend Cold-Hose. Great service, fantastic advice. Did everything that I requested.