Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swaps just got way easier...Holley Terminator X

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Dude, I was literally just watching Denmah's latest video with the Terminator X wired up and started:

A. Salivating at the options/flexibility/ease of use;
B. Contemplating shelving my work; and
C. Doing the mental math on the actual cost of a divorce after buying this.

The value is real.
Indeed! The options with the handheld tuner he demonstrated look adequate as a starting point for a tune. If the tuning options with a CAN-to-USB connection to a laptop promise to be a little more sophisticated, I'll be really interested to get the DBW version, after software and support for the bigger touchscreen dash panels become available.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Was literally about to start going to town on buying parts for my turbo build this week and this thing came out. I don't even see how guys are coming up with a legitimate price comparison between the X and a factory ECU car. For guys like me who are just starting a build a copy of HP tuners, a wideband and a decent boost controller are going to bring you to the same price point. The only reason in my mind, at least on a forced induction build, to utilize the factory ecu at this point is to pass emissions.
You're absolutely right. Although some controllers have an option for a wide band you're still going to spend a chunk of money for one and it's not all in one nicely wrapped package.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Was literally about to start going to town on buying parts for my turbo build this week and this thing came out. I don't even see how guys are coming up with a legitimate price comparison between the X and a factory ECU car. For guys like me who are just starting a build a copy of HP tuners, a wideband and a decent boost controller are going to bring you to the same price point. The only reason in my mind, at least on a forced induction build, to utilize the factory ecu at this point is to pass emissions.
NOT just for forced induction, this will be close to a financial wash once ALL IS SAID AND DONE.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by APillow
Also the Holley system seems to line up with the FITech 70050 offering... But FITech is at a better price point. Unless there is a huge feature mismatch that I am missing between the two? But in my quick read they seem about the same.
Any of you guys who are smarter about this stuff have any thoughts on the features / capabilities of the Holley Terminator X vs FiTech 70050?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I've read everything they have out on it so far and since I have a 2001 LQ$ it sounds like Id have to change my throttle body and my pedal to the newer version. Mine are not listed as compatible. More $$$$.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Launching!

I've read everything they have out on it so far and since I have a 2001 LQ4 it sounds like Id have to change my throttle body and my pedal to the newer version. Mine are not listed as compatible. More $$$$.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

New video from Holley. I believe this was a live Facebook cast, hence the potato cam video quality:

Andrew
Old 03-21-2019, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for putting the video up, Andrew! This is quite a system!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NCDEERE
I've read everything they have out on it so far and since I have a 2001 LQ4 it sounds like Id have to change my throttle body and my pedal to the newer version. Mine are not listed as compatible. More $$$$.
how bout just switch to cable throttle body??
Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slocaddy
how bout just switch to cable throttle body??
I butchered my factory pedal to adapt the truck pedal assy so I have to start from scratch anyway. I can pick up a pedal from a Caddy CTS at the local pull a part and the throttle body from a truck. Looks like most of the compatible throttle bodies are four bolt so Id have to adapt that to my LS5 intake.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

A 2001 lq4 would be drive by cable
Old 03-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
A 2001 lq4 would be drive by cable
not in a Denali. They came drive by wire.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I might have missed it, but after looking at Holley's website and reading about this system, I wonder if it supports MAF, or is it just speed density?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's SD only. I've yet to see a MAF based standalone system.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I might have missed it, but after looking at Holley's website and reading about this system, I wonder if it supports MAF, or is it just speed density?
No MAF, speed density only.

Andrew
Old 03-22-2019, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big brown truck was good to me this afternoon.

After I saw the release of this system last weekend I was super impressed. I had read the manuals twice by Sunday night. I couldn't contain myself so I called Holley on Tuesday of this week and asked a few questions I had which they answered, I was convinced I needed one, so I ordered it up.

The labels on the connectors are really nice and seem to be some type of plastic not paper? Very high quality.

My car is an 86 Monte Carlo SS with a 5.3 and a 4L80E. I have run it with an MS-2 and US Shift Quick 1. I loved the MS tuning interface, it was SO intuitive and the autotune feature was awesome. After being left stranded on two separate occasions due to burned board components I switched to HP Tuners, a 411 PCM, and a home built harness. While it worked great I really disliked the HP Tuners interface and the lack of autotune. So I decided to pull the trigger on the Terminator X almost spur of the moment after reading about it.

My opinion right now is that the wiring harness is of extremely high quality. I honestly don't know how they are selling this system for $1300 shipped, it seems like the bargain of the century. My car is still apart so it will be a bit before it fires up but I am very excited about this and hope the rest of this thing is as nice as the harness.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder what Holleys game plane is with this. The "old" HP ecu seems left out in the cold now. Most of the Big Ballers who want trac control and low imp injectors will go straight to the "old" Dominator ecu. I would have thought holley still wanted to sell those previous units but maybe they don't have too many in stock and theres a min order for a production run.....
Also, Wheres the fuse block in this setup ?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is no fuse block, only one main fuse on the power connector. Other fuses and relays must be added by the user for whatever function that is needed.

Andrew
Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by gjestico
I wonder what Holleys game plane is with this. The "old" HP ecu seems left out in the cold now. Most of the Big Ballers who want trac control and low imp injectors will go straight to the "old" Dominator ecu. I would have thought holley still wanted to sell those previous units but maybe they don't have too many in stock and theres a min order for a production run.....
Also, Wheres the fuse block in this setup ?

i think the HP has a good spot in the line up. i was told this morning the terminator x uses a slimmed down version of the software from the HP
Old 03-22-2019, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by gjestico
The "old" HP ecu seems left out in the cold now.
Not at all, The HP still offers a lot more functionality and runs their terminator throttle body line, Will also control just about any engine you want it to run not just the LS. The X line is very stripped down version. Think full version of Windows OS compared to the mobile version.

Quick Reply: Swaps just got way easier...Holley Terminator X