Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need to bleed fuel system?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you need to bleed fuel system?!

Hi:
I have transplanted a 5.3 in my 1979 Camaro recently. The engine was running well and I was driving the car around the block only, since my chassis wiring and gauges were not working properly. Long story short, I installed a Dakota Digital instrument panel and rewired the whole car. I started the car it was running well for few minutes but then it started to sputter and then it died. It seems it ran out fuel which very well could be since my fuel gauge was not working, I have not put fuel in it for a little while and I just insulted the DD but I have not set the gauges up yet. Anyways, I poured 3-4 gallons of fuel in the tank, the car tried to start initially but eventually it quit. It just cranks. when I turn the ignition switch to "on" position I hear the fuel pump primes and stops, sounds like pressurizing the line properly but when I checked the line at the valve that can be used to check the fuel pressure with a small screw driver, no fuel sprays out. The fuel regulator is corvette style one. The fuel pump is the Bosh which came with Tanksinc fuel tank system.
I don't have any trouble codes.
Help would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You dont have to bleed the fuel system, any air will be purged out through the fuel injectors. If you have no pressure and you hear the pump running, I would check the hose between the pump and sender in the tank, it may be loose or have come off.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You dont have to bleed the fuel system, any air will be purged out through the fuel injectors. If you have no pressure and you hear the pump running, I would check the hose between the pump and sender in the tank, it may be loose or have come off.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't see any fuel on the floor. Also, if there was a leak wouldn't fuel pump would keep going since it wouldn't be able to pressurize the line? of course depend upon the leak. I guess I need to check the pressure to be sure.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

So, I don't have any pressure at the fuel rail although I hear the pump runs and stops every time I turn the ignition switch to "on" position. I don't see any fuel around fuel lines. Any idea? Bad regulator? Bad pump? All these pumps are practically new.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I had a bad check valve in a Tanks, Inc pump for my El Camino. They replaced it under warranty.

Rick
Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by HRDWRK
Thanks for the reply.
I don't see any fuel on the floor. Also, if there was a leak wouldn't fuel pump would keep going since it wouldn't be able to pressurize the line? of course depend upon the leak. I guess I need to check the pressure to be sure.
The PCM controls the fuel pump. It primes for a few seconds when the key is first turned on, and if it doesn't see any engine RPM it shuts it off. If the engine is running, then it would see RPM and keep it on, it has nothing to do with pressure. Also, if the line between the pump and sender is leaking, it will be leaking inside the tank so you wont see it. I am assuming however that you have an internal pump since you said you have a Tanks Inc set up.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I have an in tank pump. Also, I don't have a check valve. The in tank pump is connected to corvette style fuel regulator/filer and to fuel rail. So, this could be an ecm issue? How can I trouble shoot this? I even don't have any trouble code.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:19 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

If you dont have any fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the rail, then it's a fuel problem and not an ECM problem that's probably why you dont have any codes. You need to find out why you have no pressure. If you hear the pump running, then the fuel isnt making it to the engine. If the hose between the pump and sender, inside the tank, has come off, is loose or has a hole in it, it will just spray fuel around the inside of the tank and not build pressure. You wont see it because its inside the tank. You need to drop the tank, pull the pump and sender and look at it.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The check valve which was stuck inside my Walbro Tanks, Inc pump is built into the top of the pump. You very likely have this problem. This problem was further revealed in my situation when I checked the amperage flow while the bad pump / bad check valve was in operation - over 13 amps consumed. Way, WAY too much power consumed for no flow of gasoline. With a good pump and normal check valve, I think it was an amp or two of current.

Rick
Old 04-19-2019, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well it seems your problem started after you re wired the whole car . I would make sure pump has power in the run position.. seems to me to be a wiring problem
Old 04-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I took the supply hose off of the corvette style regulator/filter and the despite the fact that I hear the pump runs for those few initial seconds, I don't see any gas coming out of the supply line. I called tanksinc yesterday and they though it could be the regulator since there is this small chance that I ran out of fuel and possibly the filter picked up some junk at the bottom of the tank despite the fact that the tank and all related parts are brand new. I may have only 50 miles on the car since the swap. So, I guess the fuel pump gone bad despite me hearing it run. I hate dropping the tank!! Before I do that, any other ideas? Tanksinc is closed for the weekend. How common is for these wallbro in tank fuel pumps go bad so fast? Now, I am not sure if I ran out of the gas. Maybe the pump just failed?!
Old 04-20-2019, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

As I explained earlier, my in-tank Walbro pump went bad - stuck check valve in the top of the pump. Same symptoms as yours . . . no fuel pumped. Not a drop of gasoline moved. Can you hear the pump motor hum? How many amps is the pump motor pulling while power is applied?

The Tanks, Inc instructions explain that the pump needs a few inches of fuel in the tank for motor cooling and lubrication. They will warranty your pump but they will ask you questions along these lines that I ask about above.

Rick
Old 04-20-2019, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by HRDWRK
Well, I took the supply hose off of the corvette style regulator/filter and the despite the fact that I hear the pump runs for those few initial seconds, I don't see any gas coming out of the supply line. I called tanksinc yesterday and they though it could be the regulator since there is this small chance that I ran out of fuel and possibly the filter picked up some junk at the bottom of the tank despite the fact that the tank and all related parts are brand new. I may have only 50 miles on the car since the swap. So, I guess the fuel pump gone bad despite me hearing it run. I hate dropping the tank!! Before I do that, any other ideas? Tanksinc is closed for the weekend. How common is for these wallbro in tank fuel pumps go bad so fast? Now, I am not sure if I ran out of the gas. Maybe the pump just failed?!
So you can hear the pump running? And no gas is coming out of the line? Where do think its going??? If you hear the pump running, then it's not failed..... I'd be willing to bet its pumping the fuel but its inside the tank and you seem to be determined to make it be something else so you dont have to drop the tank. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to have to. Even if it's what the other guy says and the check valve in the pump is bad, which I have never personally seen, but not saying it cant happen, you are going to have to take it out to find out. You say there's not much gas in it, so it's not like you have a full tank of fuel to deal with....
Old 04-20-2019, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like Rick has first hand experience here. Sounds like you either need to drop the tank or cut an access door in the sheet metal above the pump to fix the problem.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, I am debating about creating an access door since I think if this has happened once, regardless being a check valve or something else, it can happen again.
Anyways, I will report back.
Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a similar issue with my Tanks fuel pump. Not sure how or when, but the plastic male nipple molded into the the top portion of the pump that the supply tube goes on literally broke off. I suppose I must done it somehow assembling it to fit the tank depth.....

It was pumping no problem, just back into the tank.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Problem is solved. The issue was a bad fuel pump! brand new pump!
I took the supply line off of the fuel regulator/filter, no fuel, then I took the pump out. I do not have a check valve over the pump and I didn't see any broken/slipped lines or connectors. I had another new pump for my Nova project. I replaced the pump and it purrrred like a tame kitty! Also, when I took the pump out, I noticed that I had fair amount of fuel in the tank. Initially, when I though I ran out of fuel, I just put another 2-3 gallons of fuel in the tank but when I took the pump out, there was way more than few gallons in the tank. So, I really don't know if the fuel level was too low, although I measured the length of the lines again when I took the pump out, or the pump just went bad. The good news, it is fixed