Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need info on LS1 into Chevy II conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need info on LS1 into Chevy II conversion..

I'm looking into putting my LSX 408 stroker motor into a Chevy II Nova.. I havent decided on what model 62-67 that I want, but I think the engine bay is basically the same on all of those models. Please correct me if I am wrong..

So, where can I see some pics and info about this swap? I know Madman makes a set of headers and a motor mount kit, but I can't even find much info on that besides what he has on his site which isn't much at all.. What kind of wiring harness will I need to make this work? I'll be running speed density with a carb style intake and 4150 series carb so fitment should not be an issue.

Thanks in advance..

--Matt
Old 01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

i dont really have anything worthwhile to say, but i do want to say that that would be the best motor/car combo for drag racing/looks that i could possibly think of

spohn motor mounts for an F body might work... i knwo if you just get a U shaped piece of metal the right dimensions, and a plate you can make your own motor mounts..
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cop Car
i dont really have anything worthwhile to say, but i do want to say that that would be the best motor/car combo for drag racing/looks that i could possibly think of

spohn motor mounts for an F body might work... i knwo if you just get a U shaped piece of metal the right dimensions, and a plate you can make your own motor mounts..

Yeah I think it would look KILLER if I could find a rolling chassis for a decent price. Those cars are soooo damn expensive and hard to find. If I don't find a Chevy II I will probably end up putting it in a 67-69 Camaro or late model 78-79 Malibu..

I have a set of weld on tubular LS1 motor stands that I can use if I have to.. But, Madman makes a set of motor mounts and a set of longtube headers for the Chevy II novas. If you dont use his motor mounts then you cant use his headers.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Check with Street & Performance....
Old 01-24-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Are you going to use the stock front end - or a custom front clip? Not a lot of room with the stocker - for headers, etc...
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Launching!

As the bottom line says I have the Heidts front end which is different than the stock,ie more room.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67pete
As the bottom line says I have the Heidts front end which is different than the stock,ie more room.
I was asking 1quickTA.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
I'm looking into putting my LSX 408 stroker motor into a Chevy II Nova.. I havent decided on what model 62-67 that I want, but I think the engine bay is basically the same on all of those models. Please correct me if I am wrong..

So, where can I see some pics and info about this swap? I know Madman makes a set of headers and a motor mount kit, but I can't even find much info on that besides what he has on his site which isn't much at all.. What kind of wiring harness will I need to make this work? I'll be running speed density with a carb style intake and 4150 series carb so fitment should not be an issue.

Thanks in advance..

--Matt
if your just going to use a carb just buy the msd-6010 box and buy a stock harness(check into this I'm not sure what you need thought it did). i say the msd because it has more control than the edelbrock(only 6 timing curves) as far as timing etc.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

with a TCI front clip, the ls1 fits almost perfectly with camaro exhaust manifolds. its not complete yet. but its getting there.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by livewire0201
with a TCI front clip, the ls1 fits almost perfectly with camaro exhaust manifolds. its not complete yet. but its getting there.
That is going to be sweet, I love those Novas, had a '63 with a 406 SBC and a glide. Budget bracket bomber. Ran low 12s and dipped into the 11s on a good cool night. Those new front suspensions are the best thing to come along in a while, solve all kinds of problems. good luck with that swap and keep us posted.

Pat
Old 02-03-2006, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

it might be a little while longer, freshman in college with limited funds at the moment, i still need to know lots bout other things with the swap so hopefully this thread will help us all out.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Livewire0201,

VERY nice! I collect and restore 66-67 Novas.Right now Im doing a 66 and planning on putting in a twin turbo LS2,when it gets back from paint and body shop.Cant wait!

Good to see a Nova with an LS1 in it in here.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I never would have sold my LS1/MM6 swap for my 66 SS and the Heidts kit. You will need a new clip because of the oil pan hitting the center steering link. These cars have the steering behind the wheels. Or you could do the rack/pinion swap that some guys are doing at this time on these cars. If I dont get another LS1 swap setup I might do the LC2 swap from a 1987 GN. It would be different, but an LSX is the best swap in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just picked up a 67' rs/ss and I'm planning the same thing ! I'm trying to decide LS1 or the GenIII 6.0l .

Man ! That Nova is freakin SWEEEEEEEEEEET !

I have to wait for my patio cover is finished before I get it home though. I'm going to need some help, I've been away from chevy for a while(my 76' Trans Am, built 350chevy).
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Madman does not have headers.Does anybody know where to find longtubes for heidts ft nova?
John
Old 03-30-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will not find a set of gen 3 headers for a Heidt's subframe. I was his head fabricator till last spring and I left. I personally mocked up several gen 3 engines in customer's cars and I fabbed about 4 sets of headers for customers on my own on the side. The street and performance ones that are available I personally did not like the fit. Furthermore using the existing Heidt's frame you have to make engine mount adapters to make it fit properly or cut off the stubs that are welded on during production and weld on your own. Chris Alston and TCI make really nice peices for the cash that you can work with the engine mounts a little easier. I know that the last set I made for a guy with a ls1 he is running the Chassisworks(alston) stub and it is really nice to work around and a well put together peice. I don't think that any one manufacterer has a good set of "off the shelf" long tubes available for those stubs just yet. I know personally I lost the battle with Gary before I left about offering a gen 3 style mounting location.

Good luck if I can offer any help feel free to drop me a PM otherwise my email and other info is up on my site I will offer any assistance I can.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:23 AM
Launching!

The new Hooker (http://www.holley.com/2288-1HKR.asp) headers might be worth a look. I'm trying to get some dimensions from them on the passenger's side as the drivers side should be OK. I have the stock '99 exhaust manifold on the drivers side and a modified stock on the passenger side. My other thought is possibly a set of long tubes for an '04 GTO (http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...ducts_id=1178). The main problem area is on the passenger side hitting the sub frame connector at the firewall with most of the ones I've tried.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:50 AM
9 Second Club

I had to custom make 1 7/8" long tubes for mine. It took some time, but it was well worth it! S&P has some block hugging style headers that will fit our chassis, but they are a mid lenght style.

good luck with the swap! You'll love the car with that combo.

Frank
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone know of a few good novas forsale?
I'm looking for one currently.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 AM
Launching!

Try here http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/

Quick Reply: I need info on LS1 into Chevy II conversion..