Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into '67-'69 Camaro, the basics

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It's about timeto put this all together.

Please help. 3 years ago I started buying parts for my 69 Camaro build. I have the LSX 454 crate,T56 Magnum 6 speed, Moser muscle pack 3.73 tru trac, Vintage air front runner, Fast 102 intake, Nick Williams 102TB, Ricks stainless tank w/walboro upgrade. Here is my 1 question of more to come. returnless or return type fuel system. I have 10 ft of #6 stainless hard line and 6 ft of stainless #6 hose. and a fast regulator. I hear so many storys I would like to know which one is best. Thanks Steve
Attached Thumbnails LSx into '67-'69 Camaro, the basics-212.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest/cheapest way is to use the Corvette fuel filter/regulator, as described in post #4. Mount it near the fuel tank and you're set.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 PM

hi there am presently doing a 1981 trans am conversion to LS1, where could i get the simple schematics using the factory PCM.
THANK U
Old 05-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default Awesome post

This is a mecca of information thank you!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Default 69 Camaro with LSA Swap

I recently purchased a 2015 Yenko, and decided to keep the LSA motor. I am working toward building a pro touring 69 Camaro with this engine. I have install the Chev. Performance Parts front drive accessories with A/C, and a set of LS Swap motor mounts from Detroit Speed. I plan on using the factory subframe, with a T56 trans. I'm looking for a set of headers that will provide the best fit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 05-24-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the Doug Thorley headers in my build thread. Pretty versatile. Call Jaime at DT for details... If you have any questions PM me. Good luck on the build.

Originally Posted by #7Yenko
I recently purchased a 2015 Yenko, and decided to keep the LSA motor. I am working toward building a pro touring 69 Camaro with this engine. I have install the Chev. Performance Parts front drive accessories with A/C, and a set of LS Swap motor mounts from Detroit Speed. I plan on using the factory subframe, with a T56 trans. I'm looking for a set of headers that will provide the best fit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks Mr. D! I think I'll give these a try.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Default Hi there i want to install lsx454 in 69 if i go with hooker headers

does tht mean i have to get hooker engine mounts too or their headers will work on any mounts? Thanks
Old 01-20-2019, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Hooker headers MIGHT work with other mounts, but there is no guarantee of that. Hooker/Holley mounts are the best way to go anyway.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Default Ok thanks

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Hooker headers MIGHT work with other mounts, but there is no guarantee of that. Hooker/Holley mounts are the best way to go anyway.
but there are some comments tht hookers mounts position engine forward or back ( im gona go wth tko 600) so is there a hooker mount that position engine In “standard position?thank you
Old 01-20-2019, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,363 Posts

"Standard position" is hard to define, as the LS tranny mounting face actually moves the engine back about an inch compared to the SBC. On some swaps, there is the option to move the engine forward an inch which puts the engine in the so called "standard position" but puts the tranny an inch forward. Call Holley about this; they can answer all your questions
Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Default Ok thanks alot

Originally Posted by G Atsma
"Standard position" is hard to define, as the LS tranny mounting face actually moves the engine back about an inch compared to the SBC. On some swaps, there is the option to move the engine forward an inch which puts the engine in the so called "standard position" but puts the tranny an inch forward. Call Holley about this; they can answer all your questions
and i just found out tko600 shaft input is too short for lsx454 so im having a headache allready
Old 01-20-2019, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Maybe I can help out a little here. The LS block is 1-1/4” shorter than a SB Chevy engine and all of that length can be considered to be missing off of the back of the block. The passenger side LS cylinder head is even with the bellhousing mating plane, which means the mating plane can be moved forward from the stock SB position by 1-1/4” before the front of the LS engine or its cylinder heads sit any further forward than they do in a factory SB Chevy installation. The Hooker Blackheart 1st-gen F-Body LS swap engine brackets move the eng/trans mating plane forward by approximately 3/4” from the SB Chevy mating plane position, which gives the installation an OE-like appearance and allows the use of the stock A/C evaporator housing if desired. That position also puts the shifter housing opening of a T56 Magnum directly in alignment with the factory console opening. The TKO shifter opening unfortunately ends up in front of the forward edge of the factory floor shifter opening, so some type of offset shifter would have to be employed to make things work out in that regard. The Hooker Blackheart engine brackets eliminate the factory engine stands from the mounting equation and locate the engine lower in the subframe than any other method of engine mounting. The Hooker Blackheart headers are designed specifically for that mounting geometry and I have no idea how well they will or won’t work with any other mounts.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Default Wow lotsa info i have bb454 but story is simular to sb i assume

Thanks for writing all this info il have to read it few times to understand better but thanks for ur input i currently have bb454 with manual muncie 4 speed
Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Factory BB engines were installed with the engine/trans mating plane moved forward from the SB position and the crankshaft centerline offset more towards the passenger side of the car also. That means the fore/aft reference dimension I gave for the engine/trans mating plane position provided by the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets will be different in your case and will probably be very close to where it is with your BB now.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Factory BB engines were installed with the engine/trans mating plane moved forward from the SB position and the crankshaft centerline offset more towards the passenger side of the car also. That means the fore/aft reference dimension I gave for the engine/trans mating plane position provided by the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets will be different in your case and will probably be very close to where it is with your BB now.
ok thanks looks like its a job for professionals and i was hoping to do it myself with a help of friend who is amechanic but ill order parts from the states to make everything easier
Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Stolencamaro

ok thanks looks like its a job for professionals and i was hoping to do it myself with a help of friend who is amechanic but ill order parts from the states to make everything easier
You shouldn’t have any problems doing it yourself with the help of a friend. If you end up using the Hooker Blackheart mounts, you just have to unbolt the factory frame stands from the subframe and replace them with the Hooker Blackheart components.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Default What about tko600 vs 56magnum

[
as somone said tko input shaft of tko 600 too short for lsx bel housing so started looking into 56magnum which is straight fit but tunel needs cutting
Old 01-21-2019, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

No tunnel cutting is required to install a T56 Magnum into a 1st-gen F-body when using the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets.

Quick Reply: LSx into '67-'69 Camaro, the basics