Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E36 or E46 Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW E36 or E46 Chassis

I like the looks of the E46 but heard the E36 is 200 lbs lighter. I am also not sure the swap can be done in an E46. Thoughts or opinions on any of the logistics of this? Also, I was toying with using the motor/charger/tranny combo from a 2003 cobra instead. What do you think?

Last edited by blkta00; 11-09-2006 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-10-2006, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkta00
I like the looks of the E46 but heard the E36 is 200 lbs lighter. I am also not sure the swap can be done in an E46. Thoughts or opinions on any of the logistics of this? Also, I was toying with using the motor/charger/tranny combo from a 2003 cobra instead. What do you think?

E46 would be easier fit as the engine bay is wider, electronics might be a problem. Brief look at the an E46 wiring diagram suggests ABS/ASC are on the CAN bus network. Tach and speedo signal's look to be still hardwired as are the water temp/oil pressure and alt. charging.

No idea on the Ford swap.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get kits (i think) for the E36 to LS1. not seen anything for the E46. parts should be cheaper for the 36 aswell!

thanks chris.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Drivers rear exhaust port location on the LS1 swap is very close the upper steering shaft u-joint. Stock location of the steering shaft will make this, I believe, impossible with the wider Mod motor. You will also have issues with the brake booster. I had to move mine 3/4" outboard to retain it. That is the limit you can move it. If you do the MOD motor you will probably have to use a remote power booster assembly like the older 540's used. LS1 with a magnacharger should work. I can take some measurements of the hood clearance at the TB which should be the only area of concern.

I have headers for sale in the LS1Tech classifieds
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/605891-headers-ls1-bmw-e36-conversion.html
Old 11-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Teching In

I hate to sound like an idiot, but when you say "Mod motor," you mean the Cobra motor right? If I go with the LS1, I'll probably leave it N/A. Weight is a big concern of mine so it seems like LS1 will be the direction I'm headed.

In terms of not being able to hook up the ABS / ASC, what is the CAN bus network. Also, the ASC is just the traction control right? I was looking for a way to delete the traction control function anyways, so that's fine by me. Also, do any of you guys that track race your cars still use the ABS? If I am using it for high end handling and track use, would there be any problem with just not hooking up those two things other than the warning lights that would probably come up on the dash? Also, how do you get rid of those dash lights if I decide not to hook it up? I know it's alot of questions, thanks for your help.

Last edited by blkta00; 11-10-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkta00
I hate to sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by a "MOD" motor

In terms of not being able to hook up the ABS / ASC, what is the CAN bus network. Also, the ASC is just the traction control right? I was looking for a way to delete the traction control function anyways, so that's fine by me. Also, do any of you guys that track race your cars still use the ABS? If I am using it for high end handling and track use, would there be any problem with just not hooking up those two things other than the warning lights that would probably come up on the dash? Also, how do you get rid of those dash lights if I decide not to hook it up? I know it's alot of questions, thanks for your help.
Ford MODular engine, if that is what your thinking there is no way in hell that will fit in an e36 chassis.

I only looked briefly at the wiring diagram for a 2000 e46, not sure the reason the ABS would not work as it should be a stand alone system, I think the CAN bus connection would be for the ASC to work as it runs between the ABS system and the DME.

As you have stated the ASC would be nice to loose anyways, but the factory ABS is something you want to keep, very high end. I run my car at the track and love the ABS, especially in the pouring rain.

Last edited by LS1 Swapper; 11-11-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Everything is possible with enough money and equipment !

Here's my Car:
03 Cobra Motor into AC Cobra Replica:
Name:  06.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  94.3 KB
Videos here:
http://www.cobra4me.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=320#320

and here's a FORD FOCUS also with an 03 Cobra engine:

but yes, the Modular Motor is HUGE compared against a SBF or SBC.

here's a picture of me next to my engine:
Old 11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an E46 LS1 would be sweet. i think about that every time i drive my friends's 325i
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Make sure you get a 1995 or newer BMW E36 if you still want to use the ABS. I did my swap in a 1992 and there are a couple of overflow hoses that come from the ABS unit that can't hook up to the brake booster. Other than that I have a Bosch Hydroboost unit that can lock up all 4 tires at any speed if I wanted and have excellent braking even without changing the calipers or rotors!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

As for the warning lights, LS1 Edit is a helpful tool to delete those unwanted emissions equipment, like Evap canister and Secondary Air control unit. I still need to get LS1 Edit, but it can tell your computer to virtually look for only what you want, and is also very helpful if any aftermarket parts are used!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Launching!

I would buy an e36 or an e30 before an e46. I love the looks of the e46 (we have one), but quality on them sucks. Each new model seems to be worse than the last in terms of quality.

On the positive side, if you really want an e46 and you keep an eye out, you might be able to pick up a 2000 with a shelled auto transmission for a song. The dealer wants 5K for a repair on a 10K car. You would have to swap over pedals if you want to do T56.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Domesticated Euro
Make sure you get a 1995 or newer BMW E36 if you still want to use the ABS. I did my swap in a 1992 and there are a couple of overflow hoses that come from the ABS unit that can't hook up to the brake booster. Other than that I have a Bosch Hydroboost unit that can lock up all 4 tires at any speed if I wanted and have excellent braking even without changing the calipers or rotors!
Did this swap on a '92, '93 and a '94 never lost the stock ABS or Brake booster. The Ford Mod engine would be way to wide for an E36, the LSx Barely fits. Don't see how money would change that unless you cut the car down the middle and widened it...
Old 11-11-2006, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Swapper
Did this swap on a '92, '93 and a '94 never lost the stock ABS or Brake booster. The Ford Mod engine would be way to wide for an E36, the LSx Barely fits. Don't see how money would change that unless you cut the car down the middle and widened it...
How did you do the swap? I got my kit from Mike Collins at Nash Motorsports and it came with the Bosch brake booster. The original booster was too big and wouldn't allow room for the engine the way it was without being relocated. Anyways, the reason I said that was because in '95 they took out the overflow hoses from the ABS unit and deleted a sensor in the booster.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Domesticated Euro
How did you do the swap? I got my kit from Mike Collins at Nash Motorsports and it came with the Bosch brake booster. The original booster was too big and wouldn't allow room for the engine the way it was without being relocated. Anyways, the reason I said that was because in '95 they took out the overflow hoses from the ABS unit and deleted a sensor in the booster.
Depends on engine placement. I just didn't want to removing anything stock from the BMW that had to do with the brakes or steering.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well those are just a great idea... they have to be a riot to autoX or track day!

Bret
Old 11-14-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the Nash kit move the motor to the side? I have read some of the 5 series V8 swaps put the motor off center in a E36.

Quick Reply: BMW E36 or E46 Chassis