Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revisiting the Spectra Fuel Tank Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Revisiting the Spectra Fuel Tank Issues

Thought I'd start a new thread on this one. A few years back when the fuel starvation issue started appearing I tried to nip this in the bud by placing two baffles/walls to either side of the fuel pump, about 7" apart. Did this before the tank was ever installed and before the project was completed. Since the fuel sump pan is wider than long, I thought this would help the problem in cornering. Wasn't thinking of acceleration problems. I have acceleration and corner starvation issues.

If the car dies going into a corner and under acceleration, that seems to be two totally different scenarios. Under acceleration the pan might be getting sucked dry from the engine's need for more fuel but in a turn it would seem that it is draining too fast when the engine needs less fuel; at least in my case as I am coasting.

Now, I am wondering if the pump might be not supplying enough fuel to the engine. It's only a stock LS2. What's the horsepower of the SFP003 pump good for?

Has anybody tried the alleged new and improved Spectra tank?

I am also looking at Holley's Hydramat. Anybody tried it in this tank setup?
Old 01-31-2016, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a suggestion. Try one of them Holle Hydramat. It was post in a thread here not too long ago. Maybe this would fix your problems. What i did to baffle my tank, was to create a bucket around the pump. I can almost run the tank dry ( don't ask me how i know lol). See my build threat for details.

https://holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/
Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

The Holley mat looks like a great option. Depending on the size you need, it looks like you could fix your existing tank setup for ~$200. You would need to secure the mat and keep it away from the fuel level float. If you are worried about the spectra fuel pump due to air being sucked, I'd consider using the factory LS2 fuel bucket that your engine was engineered to use (vetteworks setup). This setup does not need baffling and the pump is always submerged in fuel. I've used this setup for 3 years and ~6000 miles with no issues.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

So much for the Hydramat. They don't have anything for a stock pump inlet. There isn't even enough room to somehow fabricate an adapter.

So now I am looking at what reedld suggested. It seems like a no-brainer to use what worked from the factory. The problem here looks like a clearance issue. I have 7" of tank height to work with. I saw a post on modifying a pump/sender assembly so it looks possible.

Looks like if I can figure out if the GTO or the 4th gen basket is shallower, that might might make it easier.

I also noticed the GTO pump has one fitting. I assume the return is internal? Vetteworks 5th gen system looks the same but it shows a Vette external filter/regulator in the kit. That has me a little confused!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Look into a Restomod tank by Ricks Tanks it is a stamped steel tank that uses the camaro 5th gen. fuel module.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Nobody seems to sell the Restomod tanks! Don't see where to buy from them directly either.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can buy them right from their website...

http://www.shop.restomodtanks.com/

Also available from the usual people like Belairbobs.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

69-er- check out my build pics. I compressed the 4th gen bucket to the max...and it fit in my recessed /modded tank. I was going to trim the rods and cut the top of the bucket if needed. I really didn't want to cut a hole in my trunk. The 4th gen bucket has a built in fuel pressure reg-no need to run the vette one. At 7"-I do believe you will need to trim the bucket. I picked mine up used from fparts (eBay LS seller) and bought a new pump for piece of mind. Bucket is real easy to take apart. As far as the return line being internal on the GTO and 5th gen...call out to vetteworks and ask. I called him years ago when I bought my setup. He should have an answer for you. Good luck-Leon

Last edited by reedld; 02-02-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 573 Likes on 355 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hey 69-er,

I just bought a 68 Camaro and was going through the same dilemma as you, with the fuel system and what to use. I did some research and found that a modified 5th gen Camaro fuel pump assembly will feed the correct psi to an LSx engine when converted to constant pressure from PWM. Attached is the thread that I started and Carl from Vaporworx chimed in and I am sold with the kit he has to offer. Not only that, but it is much shorter than the 4th gen fbody pump, so you won't need to shorten the pump assembly.

When I did the LS1 swap on my 1976 T/A, I did the same conversion as reedld. In fact, he was the person who I got the idea from. I drove my LS1 swap for 2500 miles before I sold it with zero fueling issues at all. Hope that helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...camaro-tank.html

Ryan
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your open to mod'in the tank.. as I suggested before.. Read from Post #201 of my Nova build thread.

BC
Old 02-02-2016, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Since I already have a new tank from Spectra I'm looking at modding the top of the tank and installing a GTO or 4th gen module. I can use the mounting ring from Vetteworks. I just need to see which module, if any, will require the least amount of rework to make it fit a shallow Gen1 Camaro tank.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 69-er
Since I already have a new tank from Spectra I'm looking at modding the top of the tank and installing a GTO or 4th gen module. I can use the mounting ring from Vetteworks. I just need to see which module, if any, will require the least amount of rework to make it fit a shallow Gen1 Camaro tank.
I think that is your best option. The 1st gen tank IS shallow. Keep an eye out for a used 4th gen LS fuel bucket on eBay, and start working on disassembling it. There is a link over on nastyz28 on how the fuel bucket has check valves that close as soon as air is sensed during fuel pickup. I'm really amazed at how many people buy tanks with questionable performance (spectra)...or really nice, expensive, effective options like Ricks...and they ignore using what GM engineered for our engines. Is your specta tank recessed in the fuel pump area?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

i have the spectra tank in my daily.

works great it you keep it about 3/4 tank, lol
Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i have the spectra tank in my daily.

works great it you keep it about 3/4 tank, lol
Exactly! It's as though they really never engineered it properly when they designed it. "Yeah, that looks about right"! Ya know what I mean?

I still haven't heard any news on their new and improved tank I thought I heard about.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by reedld
Is your specta tank recessed in the fuel pump area?
If you're talking about the top of the tank, yes, it's recessed about 1" at the most. Since I have to modify the tank to make room for a bigger hole I wouldn't have a problem with eliminating the recess to gain a little more clearance for a factory module without modifying it. I can always raise a small area of the trunk pan above the module if I have to.

I'll look into the 4th gens again.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 573 Likes on 355 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you use the 4th gen module, you will have to heavily modify the housing because it's so tall. If you use the 5th gen module you won't have to modify the housing at all, but replace the stock regulator with a 58psi regulator and you are good to go. No return line to hook up, and when you recess the tank it will fit in right around 6-6.5" depth.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
If you use the 4th gen module, you will have to heavily modify the housing because it's so tall. If you use the 5th gen module you won't have to modify the housing at all, but replace the stock regulator with a 58psi regulator and you are good to go. No return line to hook up, and when you recess the tank it will fit in right around 6-6.5" depth.
Thanks!

Yeah, when I went on eBay to start my search I asked a bunch of sellers what the minimum depth was for a GTO module. It was around 11". Didn't try the 4th gens yet.

So, if I go with the 5th Gen, I remember reading somewhere about the PWM design of the pump. How do I get around that? Does that mod also take care of the regulator?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

OK, been looking around...

Since I already have a Vette regulator, I'm thinking I can use the 5th Gen module as is as long as I ensure the return goes into the bucket. (according to Carl at VaporWorx)

Is it that simple?

Oh yeah, I see a fitting at the bottom. I saw a pic of the Walbro pickups attached to it so I assume this another inlet for the pump. Can I just block that off? I considered using these pickups with my current setup. Are they necessary with a 5th Gen module?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy the Restomod tank with the the 5th gen module ready to go or just buy the tank and source your own 5th gen fuel module either new or for around $100 used take offs from the camaro forums and add the the 4th gen fuel pressure module and the vaporworx fuel pressure regulator adaptor and drop it in the Restomod tank and be out the door for around $550.00 For a normally aspirated car you don't need the PWM module, it's nice but not necessary unless you are going forced induction. You also eliminate the exterior fuel pressure regulator and the return line, it requires one line from the 5th gen. fuel pump module to your fuel rail.

According to your signature (Alamogordo) you are only 70 miles away from Ricks Tanks in El Paso Tx. They manufacture the Restomod tank. I live in El Paso and have used his tanks on a few swaps, the latest a stainless steel tank with the 5th gen. module in my 66 GTO, it replaced another Ricks Tank I had bought about 5 years ago with the old style Aeromotive fuel pump. I wanted the simplicity of no external fuel pressure regulator, thus eliminating a return line, making a clean installation. After install I added 1 gallon of gasoline and ran the **** out of the car in acceleration and cornering and it performed perfectly. If you want the budget friendly stamped steel Restomod tank Hector at Ricks Tanks will make you a deal since you are semi-local and can save on shipping.

I usually don't recommend people or services, it usually comes back to bite you when something goes wrong, they always say hey I thought you said this product or person was reliable, so I just usually don't give recommendations.

Hector at Ricks Tanks is one person and his products I will give recommendations, as he has been fair and his word is good, which is a rare item these days. 75% of the swap parts I bought for my car were not bolt in as advertised, the majority had to be welded, grinded on or beat with a hammer to work. Which thankfully was not the case with the Ricks Tanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I didn't realize Rick's was so close! I just hate the idea of getting another tank as the one I'm using now is new plus I modded it to use a different filler tube to get the gas cap between the tail lights. Probably couldn't resell it to recoup costs.

I realize I will have to mod the top of the tank to accept the module. Compared to money, time is always on my side!

VaporWorx website is still down for maintenance. Is their fuel pressure regulator adapter available separately?

I still need to find the sender to fit the small hole too; I don't see that on Restomod's site. I need to talk to them. It seems that they use the remote fuel pickups. Makes wonder if they are needed to produce the results they advertise.

Quick Reply: Revisiting the Spectra Fuel Tank Issues