Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone package ECM flash with new cam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone package ECM flash with new cam?

Do any of the guys who reprogram ECMs for conversions, also package performance tunes with recommended cams?

I am planning out an Lq4 (or lq9) 4L60E swap into my '72 chevelle and would like to wake it up with a mild performance cam (still using stock convertor/intake/exhaust with 3.43:1 gears). I figured there are tuners out there who could probably package a tune with a specific cam, but haven't heard back from anyone I have contacted so far.

I searched a bit here and on lsqtruck.com but haven't seen much talk about "small" cams
Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Probably not what you want to hear but you might have better luck picking a cam out before you send off you PCM, then ask the tuner if he has any tunes using that cam or a similar cam, its no dyno tune but it might get you closer. Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Teching In

I might just be better off leaving the engine alone (but is sorta goes against my instincts). I did find a place called Nelson Performance mentioned on LS1Truck.com. They are a comp cams dealer. I sent them an email, will let you know what I hear back.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with either Speartech or wait4meperformance. I know Jesse at Wait4meperformance has tune file for different setup and cams. I had him flash the codes i didn't need out and also just put a basic tune on.

also if you check the Tuning forum, you will find files for HPTuner and EFILive.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I sent Speartech an email. If they can help they are probably my first choice (based on all the positive feedback here). I would like to get the harness/ECM flash from them based on a mild cam. So far I have found very little on the web pertaining to factory LQ4/LQ9 with MILD cam upgrades - just a couple magazine articles.

I guess I can start a thread here asking for suggestions (I am not sure who does custom cams and knows these combinations).
Old 10-21-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For cam.. checkk on Thunder Racing or Texas Speed and Performance. I seem that the resident CAM expert on this forum would be "Patrick G" of Thurnder Racing, check in the Internal Engine section. You can alway PM him for advice.

there is also the performace truck forum.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Arrow

I just heard back from John at Speartech.com
"We have had real good performance out of several of the cams from Lingenfelter. The GT-2 or the GT 2-3 are both good cams for a mild setup with a stock converter. Your exhaust system should work well with those cams. I've had real good luck with the stock exhaust manifolds, no cats, and a well built, high flow system"
I looked up those cams. They are mild, spec'd a lot like the LS6 cam but bigger (which makes sense to me given my goals). The GT2-3 seems to be aimed at guys thinking of power adders, where the recommended GT2 (or even GT2-2?) looks lilke a better choice for me.

GT2
Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 205/212;Lift IN/EX: .540"/.540";CL: 116.5

GT2-3
Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 207/220;Lift IN/EX: .571"/.578";CL: 118.5

Speartech seems to have a great rep here on the site. Right now I certainly am leaning towards the GT2-2 with a Speartech-prepped harness and ECM.

I guess I will cross-post this in my thread I started about cam choices....

Last edited by Malibu71; 10-22-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: to correct recommended cam links
Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

I know Texas Speed can taylor your ECM for one of their cams by mailing your ecm in, I dont think they will do the stand alone stuff though.

Quick Reply: Anyone package ECM flash with new cam?