Sponsored by:

A-Body Centerlink clearance

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-Body Centerlink clearance

Hey Yall
I am working on frame mounts to put LS1 in 69 Cutlass. I see several posts about steering linkage interference issues. I have frame stripped down and plan to go back w/ Hotchkis suspension. I have notched crossmember to position motor foreward such that line between engine and tranny is same place. May have about 1" adjustment room front to rear. But frame mounts are intended to put motor as low as possible to crossmember w/ stock Firebird oil pan. Can anyone tell me where centerlink will be in relation to crossmember and oil pan. I figure alternator and compressor will relocate to top right & left, and I hope to afford a twin screw blower too.
Thanks, This site may be invaluable to me as project is only hobby.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Welcome Dave. I'm a newbie too. I'm going to install the Ls1 into a 1965 cutlass. Look at my one and only post. Many guys have already done this or are doing this in A body chevelles. They have posted pictures of the tight spots and trouble areas related to the oil pan. Good luck with our project.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

More than likely you will end up shimming the engine up a bit higher to make sure the tie rod end clears when steering is at full lock. As rockytopper stated there are many posts/pictures on this very top just do a search for a-body and chevelle.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my thread on my '71. I've been slacking, but I'm past this dilemma.

Originally Posted by stealth71
Finally got the motor in last night. Now to finish everything else on the car to get it running.

I eneded up using short/wide motor and frame mounts w/ a 1/4" spacer under the frame mount and the preload plate w/ the bump ground off between the motor mount and adapter plate.

Tie rod clearance:

Mounts:

Firewall is pretty close. I made a lift bracket, because I can't get the bolt out w/ the motor in.

Oil pan to crossmember clearance:

Headers on:

I should have some updates next week. I am hoping to get it started in the next couple weeks.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Most of what you're asking will depend on which mount kit you use. The ATS one requires at least 1/2" spacers.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting great pics Stealth71. Worth a thousand words... Is your oil pan the standard Firebird type as is mine? Am I correct seeing no notch in crossmember for it? I have close to 1.5" notch. Yet to be boxed in w/ 1/4" mtl. Plus I think I am at least 1/2" lower. Looks like that will put my pan too close to tie rods.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Don't mean to answer for stealth71 and a search of his thread would yield these answers and more, however, his pan is the stock F-body pan and no he idd not notch the crossmember. He is also using the tall and narrow type gm engine mounts which raise the engine up a bit.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
Don't mean to answer for stealth71 and a search of his thread would yield these answers and more, however, his pan is the stock F-body pan and no he idd not notch the crossmember. He is also using the tall and narrow type gm engine mounts which raise the engine up a bit.
No problem. Just read through the last couple pages of my thread. The tall/narrow and sort/wide mounts are effectively the same height. I actually ended up staying with the short/wide combo. I also used the preload plate that comes w/ the motor mounts and made a 1/4" spacer on the frame side.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

i am installing an ls motor in my 69 chevelle, using hooker headers, their mount adapters, and a caddy cts oil pan, corvette front drive setup-the tierods have minor interference with the oil pan, so minor that a little tweaking can fix-i an using the 350-454 chevelle frame/motor mounts

Quick Reply: A-Body Centerlink clearance