Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build a V8 240SX in 24 Hours? (SBC)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Build a V8 240SX in 24 Hours? (SBC)

I’m sure some of you may have seen the V8 240SX I built last year (the one with the silly scoop). I have decided to do another V8 swap, but this time to do it as a challenge in 24 hours. We will be making a FREE video of the swap (hopefully both entertaining and instructional), which will be released in early March. And as if doing the swap wasn’t tough enough, we added a few things to the challenge to make it even tougher:

- At the end of the 24 hours the car will be brought out as-is and will race other modded 240SXs (stock engine, sr20, and possibly an R34 skyline). There will be both a drag race and a short circuit or touge style race.
- In addition to the engine swap the car will be completely transformed! This includes suspension, brakes, interior, cage, and a new paintjob.
- Besides myself there will only be a crew of 3, and we will not be using a kit, templates, or any pre-made parts for the swap.

So place your bets now! It all starts this Sunday at 10am. If anyone has any questions or ideas of other interesting challenges let me know!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha good luck hope you have everything you need parts wise lol.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, with a mounting kit, all the parts I need and another 2 experienced guys, I could do an LSx RX7 in 24 hours (non-stop labor of course). It certainly wouldn't be sorted though.

We did the swap in one of Indyparts' old cars a few years ago on Saturday/Sunday, and minus a clutch line, we could have driven it Sunday night. We both had previous swap experience and (almost) all the parts we needed though. That didn't include gauges and such though.

This swap should be, entertaining, at least.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

this will be interesting.....i'd like to claim the first video
Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed
Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Carbed engine or EFI/LSx...If its carbed,then not impressed...Good luck though..
Old 02-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Teching In

It's doable with ease.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

are you guys fabbing up the driveshaft yourselves? or is it sitting in the corner waiting to be installed?

If you guys have all the parts/materials needed, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ranger2339
Carbed engine or EFI/LSx...If its carbed,then not impressed...Good luck though..
So if something is carbed it doesn't impress you? Do you know anything about carbs? For doing a swap on a budget going FI would be a COMPLETE WASTE... If you're a retard please stay out of the hybrid forums.

Originally Posted by SirWarrior
are you guys fabbing up the driveshaft yourselves? or is it sitting in the corner waiting to be installed?

If you guys have all the parts/materials needed, it shouldn't be an issue.
Since I don't know how far back the engine is going to go all I have is a camaro driveshaft and a yoke to adapt to the nissan rear end. From there I was planning on calling in the measurement to the driveshaft shop and having them build it but I haven't had time to go by there so this may turn into a big problem. There is no kit for this swap, besides the driveshaft the engine mounts, tranny mounts, crossmember, headers, shifter, and clutch line all have to be fabricated or modified to fit.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Good luck! waiting to see the vid!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

not gonna happen in 24 hours man, sorry. only if you have a TEAM of people working on it for 24 hours straight.

best of luck tho.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You may end up w/ something that runs & drives, but, in no way will be something properly built including proper rear end swap w/spindles & sub-frame bracing. You will succeed w/ the install, it just won't be done as good as it should be. Good-luck
Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Davidss
So if something is carbed it doesn't impress you? Do you know anything about carbs? For doing a swap on a budget going FI would be a COMPLETE WASTE... If you're a retard please stay out of the hybrid forums.
I meant because there is no wiring harness to deal with,now if you guys did this with a lsx,all wired up,then that would be cool..carbed engine,in a 240=not so cool. Is this a budget swap or a 24hr swap? No need to call names big guy. If you don't want people to comment,then don't post **** on the net.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

the Ls1/2 wire up is really no big deal. its less than 10 wires that simply need to be T'd in.

GL with the swap. Are you guys going to be selling the video? or just posting it up? Also, is this a build up video, like step by step, or just a "hey look at us 3 maniacs @ what were trying to accomplish", type video?

I'm interested.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1-450
You may end up w/ something that runs & drives, but, in no way will be something properly built including proper rear end swap w/spindles & sub-frame bracing. You will succeed w/ the install, it just won't be done as good as it should be. Good-luck
You're right that doing a rear end swap right would take more than 24 hours. Except that I'm keeping the stock rear end, it's perfectly capable of handling the power.

I meant because there is no wiring harness to deal with,now if you guys did this with a lsx,all wired up,then that would be cool..carbed engine,in a 240=not so cool. Is this a budget swap or a 24hr swap? No need to call names big guy. If you don't want people to comment,then don't post **** on the net.
For me the appeal of doing a swap is to put an inexpensive engine and chassis together and create something better than the sum of it's parts. Part of doing it in 24 hours (and racing other 240SXs afterwards) is to show to the community that the SBC is still a viable option for people on a budget. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the LS1 (I wouldn't want to daily drive anything else), but I'll be able to do this whole swap (including the car) for less than half the cost of just an LS1 drivetrain. I'm perfectly fine with criticism but your ignorance is the kind of stuff I would expect on the ricer forums.

Originally Posted by Brismo7
GL with the swap. Are you guys going to be selling the video? or just posting it up? Also, is this a build up video, like step by step, or just a "hey look at us 3 maniacs @ what were trying to accomplish", type video?
The video will be posted on the web and WILL be free! Hopefully it will be both entertaining and instructional.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Im not being ingnorant, just saying Im not a fan of a carbed engine in a 240. I would be more impressed with a 24hr FI build thats all.
What engine are you going with anyway, a stock 350? Also I see you have a rear sump pan??
Sweet S14 BTW, I just looked at the pics, Ive seen that before someplace.

Josh
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Davidss;8635920]You're right that doing a rear end swap right would take more than 24 hours. Except that I'm keeping the stock rear end, it's perfectly capable of handling the power.

You are also right & I stand corrected regarding the rear end. I'm always thinking of LS1 power, even when I see SBC. Also, if your roll cage is a 6 point, then that should reduce the need for sub-frame bracing; as long as strut tower braces & anti-sway bars are also used. I look forward to seeing the video.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

As long as you don't have to with for parts, it shouldn't be an issue with 4 guys, if you manage your time right.

The S14 I saw too. I see lots of cool stuff, but plenty of things I would do different. The side exhaust was cool tho.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Im not being ingnorant, just saying Im not a fan of a carbed engine in a 240. I would be more impressed with a 24hr FI build thats all. What engine are you going with anyway, a stock 350? Also I see you have a rear sump pan?? Sweet S14 BTW, I just looked at the pics, Ive seen that before someplace.
I understand your perspective, it's just I would expect comments like that on the import forums not on ls1tech. The engine is a stock 305... I know, pretty weak. But I'm doing this on my own and there is no money to dump into a better engine. I'm using the front sump pan from a 65ish nova (the first car was dry sump).

Originally Posted by SirWarrior
The S14 I saw too. I see lots of cool stuff, but plenty of things I would do different. The side exhaust was cool tho.
No offense taken there, there are a lot of things I wish I could have done differently.

Monday UPDATE- I spent all day running around town trying to get a clutch/flywheel setup that will work with my engine/tranny. It's a pretty weird setup that I'm having to piece together from different cars to make work. I went to one Autozone and explained to the 'parts manager' (picture a really big old guy in SERIOUS needs of a mustache trimmer) what I was trying to do. He must have been feel especially lazy today because instead of helping me for 10-20 minutes he just decided to tell me that "Autozone ONLY sells clutch kits, no individual parts" which of course is complete BS.

So I need some help picking out a hood scoop. Unfortunately there isn't enough clearance under the hood so a scoop is a must, so I'm going for the least silly look. Here are the options:
1 - Butterfly Scoop

2 - Hilborn Scoop Finned

3 - Hilborn Scoop Flat

4 - Hilborn Variant Angled (This one is cheap)

5 - Shotgun Style (probably way to expensive and flashy)

6 - Plain Sheet Metal Scoop (weird one from ebay)

7 - Ebay Special (sticks to the hood with tape, possibly ricy)

Opinions any ideas I've missed? I really need to find something cheap as I'm broke. An ebay search for "hood scoop" turns up almost 1000 results but most of it is for trucks/camaros/and stick on fake scoops.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Id use the ricer one last one.
Other ones look too wild on a 240.

Good LUCK.

Quick Reply: Build a V8 240SX in 24 Hours? (SBC)