Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Chevelle with LS3

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 chevelle
How low do they hang below the frame line? Got a pic?
My frame is sitting pretty low right now, but you can see by the pictures that they will be as good if not better than old SBC headers hanging down.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

What big brakes did you use with your TTII's?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TJA... thanks for the shot that I requested.. I think these might be a better fit. I might order some. ... anyone get a good price on these yet.. I see summit has them... looking for other cheaper sources.. ?!?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by loweredd
What big brakes did you use with your TTII's?
The rear is 13" Baer GT Plus kit and Front has Baer 2 pc rotors (12.75") with C6 Corvette calipers from Kore3. My front spindles are from ATS which already have a C5/C6 hub on them. The wheels in the picture are 17" in front w/18" in back. I have to use a 1/2" spacer to clear the front. I will be changing wheels to be 18" all around, but that will come later.

Bczee: I paid $599.95 for headers from Jegs. I am not sure who would have a better price.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tja42853
I have to use a 1/2" spacer to clear the front.
I thought about that after I posted. I had already ordered my fronts BEFORE I thought about going with bigger brakes. I have an 18x8 up front, with the backspace just about as perfect as it can get. No wiggle room.

Thanks for the reply. That frame is beautiful!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Loving it thus far. What color are you planning for the body?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for posting the pic
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

looks great so far, should be a fun build to watch.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteDeathLS1
Loving it thus far. What color are you planning for the body?
Thanks, I am not sure what color yet. I have changed my mind a few times. right now I am thinking a medium Blue.

thanks,

Tom
Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome project dude! Keep us posted!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Hey Tom,

Did you ever check the alignment of the Keisler bellhousing? How was it?

Andrew
Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Hey Tom,

Did you ever check the alignment of the Keisler bellhousing? How was it?

Andrew
Andrew, I have not checked it yet. Mine came from Classic Chevy 5 Speed. If you see first post you will see that I don't have a drilled and tapped hole. I was not aware until you pointed that out in another post that the Keisler came with that neat feature. I originally planned to use a Mcleod scattershield as one of the above picture shows in this thread, but I did not realize that it did not have the 12 o'clock bolt. CC5S advises that it is best to check but they also say that their piece rarely has issues. Jeff's comment was that if it slips in like butter don't worry about it. If you want to follow their procedure pm me your e-mail and I will scan it. I believe it's likely you don't need it as I seem to recall a prior post that you at one time worked for Quartermaster. I would guess you forgot more than many of us know. LOL

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would guess you forgot more than many of us know. LOL

Thanks,
Tom
I don't know about all that. I was just a marketing nerd at Quarter Master. Tomorrow I will check it for my own sanity. I am sure there are no issues. Tyler from ATS said that about 15 of his clients have tried to do the hydraulic conversion on A-bodies and no one has been happy. I don't get discouraged that easily.

Andrew
Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Have you guys modified your trans tunnels? I was under the impression that to use the tko you would have to raise the tunnel. The only reason I'm trying to cram a 4l80 is because I thought you had to raise the tunnel.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have you guys modified your trans tunnels? I was under the impression that to use the tko you would have to raise the tunnel. The only reason I'm trying to cram a 4l80 is because I thought you had to raise the tunnel.
I am using a Richmond 6spd. It is smaller and has a nice round contour on top, unlike the TKO. I had it behind the bog block and I plan to reusing it with the L92. Both transmission use the same bellhousings.

Andrew
Old 03-27-2008, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Yes I did have to raise/cut my tunnel for the TKO.

I got some more parts. My main hold up is finding time to work on the body.

This harness is from Speartech with DBW pedal assy. Real nice and neat package. John suggested that I use a LS2 Mass air flow instead of the LS3. I really don't know why and did not question it, rather just trusted his advice because I really know nothing about that. He was a very nice guy to deal with. It's also nice when the time comes I can have someone like him to call if I run into problems.

Here is a picture of the LSX radiator from Ron Davis. Very nice quality as it should be because it cost twice as much as the whole POS car I started with. The fans are 16" and I also got the spal realys from them.

The welds are very well done. My pictures don't do it justice.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Tom,

Everything looks great. One thing I will comment on are those Spal fans. I had a single 16 inch pusher in my RX7. When the fan was running you can hear me coming from a mile away. It was SO loud. I hope that it was unique to my situation. Maybe because it was a pusher setup. Hopefully yours won't be that loud. I have a Be Cool setup in my GTO with the dual 11" Spals. Those are fairly loud, but not as loud as that 16" was in the RX7.

Andrew
Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Hey Tom,

Everything looks great. One thing I will comment on are those Spal fans. I had a single 16 inch pusher in my RX7. When the fan was running you can hear me coming from a mile away. It was SO loud. I hope that it was unique to my situation. Maybe because it was a pusher setup. Hopefully yours won't be that loud. I have a Be Cool setup in my GTO with the dual 11" Spals. Those are fairly loud, but not as loud as that 16" was in the RX7.

Andrew
Thanks,

And you know that never occured to me about the noise. I kinda made my bed on this setup. I guess I learn as I go and time will tell. It seems like I have bought every piece on the suspension twice during this build so maybe my build works in pairs. Other example's include second engine, transmission and I could go on. LOL.
I gotta get this darn thing going so I will quit changing my mind.

Tom
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andrew, I have not checked it yet. Mine came from Classic Chevy 5 Speed. If you see first post you will see that I don't have a drilled and tapped hole. I was not aware until you pointed that out in another post that the Keisler came with that neat feature. I originally planned to use a Mcleod scattershield as one of the above picture shows in this thread, but I did not realize that it did not have the 12 o'clock bolt. CC5S advises that it is best to check but they also say that their piece rarely has issues. Jeff's comment was that if it slips in like butter don't worry about it. If you want to follow their procedure pm me your e-mail and I will scan it. I believe it's likely you don't need it as I seem to recall a prior post that you at one time worked for Quartermaster. I would guess you forgot more than many of us know. LOL

Thanks,
Tom
I have a Kiesler bell on my LS2. Better check the run out as mine was out 14 thou.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I have a Kiesler bell on my LS2. Better check the run out as mine was out 14 thou.
.0014" is a lot. So when you were measuring you saw .0028" variance on the dial indicator?

Andrew

Quick Reply: 69 Chevelle with LS3