Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Fiero swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt understand the remark about Hp numbers either.. i do understand nicely built cars when i see one though.. and i remember driving a fiero gt a good many years ago and thinking it was a cool little center engined car... and with an ls7 in it it would get me in trouble faster than i care to think...

i really like how your install looks oem, keep up the good work
Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

lol. Whoa there guy. I am loving Troy's swap and the idea of having an ls7 fiero here. I'm not telling you how to run your fiero business at all. In 20 years of v8 installs i would think you have done some high horsepower fieros thru the years, do you have any customer dyno vids, or maybe some of your own. All I have seen is some vids on streetfire of v8 fieros making very very low numbers.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrtroyboy
I just thought that a STS with a LSX would make a sick sleeper . Speed + Caddy comfort= sweet
lol, that would be hot, but no just a daily driver. What set up was in the Fiero before? Are you going from a 2.8 right to an ls7?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

wow, awesome work!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JCurtin
lol. Whoa there guy. I am loving Troy's swap and the idea of having an ls7 fiero here. I'm not telling you how to run your fiero business at all. In 20 years of v8 installs i would think you have done some high horsepower fieros thru the years, do you have any customer dyno vids, or maybe some of your own. All I have seen is some vids on streetfire of v8 fieros making very very low numbers.
there was a meet in the danish corvette club c1 c2 and c3 only.. they had a dyno at the gorunds and not one of them made over 300 rwhp, even a 1970 sixpack big block... its just these LS engines that make so much power people expect 400+ rwhp from a dynopull... most home grown SBC´s make very little power.. in and out of a fiero..

by home grown i mean (camelhump 350 with some hydraulic "3/4 race cam and whatever prople brag about)
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by deuce_454
there was a meet in the danish corvette club c1 c2 and c3 only.. they had a dyno at the gorunds and not one of them made over 300 rwhp, even a 1970 sixpack big block... its just these LS engines that make so much power people expect 400+ rwhp from a dynopull... most home grown SBC´s make very little power.. in and out of a fiero..

by home grown i mean (camelhump 350 with some hydraulic "3/4 race cam and whatever prople brag about)
I know very well about ls power, I have owned 2(see sig). I'm not talking about 70s motors or vehicles, Archie himself states that they normally install brand new crate engines.

I dont want to sidetrack this thread, I think it is a bad *** swap, maybe it will put this shop on the map.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see any reason to HAVE to dyno tune a car with a brand new crate engine... Its in a fiero for one, so the power to weight is going to be alittle silly even in stock form. And the motor is going to run just as good as it would in its intended form. I dont think Ide want a fully built LS7 in a fiero...stock would be plenty fun Ide imagine.

I dont know much about fieros...and dont follow the build up of them often...but I know of Archie and his shop. I know if you go over on the thirdgen sites a lot of people know him and his work. So ide say he's already on the map for the most part.

I cant wait to see how this turns out... That car is going to absolutely rip!!! Keeping an eye on this one!

J.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
So ide say he's already on the map for the most part.
20 years I would hope so!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

lol, that would be hot, but no just a daily driver. What set up was in the Fiero before? Are you going from a 2.8 right to an ls7?
No the previous motor was a ZZ430 clone, it was a sick ride but then I was bitten by the LSX bug.
Vid of old set up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5tJYh28Sw
Old 04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I havent seen one of the v8 cars have a decent dyno slip that have come out of that shop. I have seen a few dyno vids online of them, all of them unimpressive. What tuning if any will go into this? What engine management system will be used?
I hope your project turns out well. Should be pretty sick, I just have not seen anything performance wise come from this fella. He installs these engines but doesnt provide any dyno tuning? So you would have to take it to another shop to get everything worked out?

What engine management is running the other ls1 fieros? Have any HP numbers or times for those?
20 years I would hope so!
What is with you man? Are you that bored you have to somehow find a way to criticize?

You haven't seen anything performance wise? LS2 and LS7s in a fiero isn't performance oriented or going to put down numbers?

Btw A LOT of performance shops do not have in house dynos...

Not everything is about hp ratings and 1/4 mile.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrtroyboy
No the previous motor was a ZZ430 clone, it was a sick ride but then I was bitten by the LSX bug.
Vid of old set up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5tJYh28Sw
Very nice. When this is done I am sure you will have the sickest fiero on the planet.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
What is with you man? Are you that bored you have to somehow find a way to criticize?

You haven't seen anything performance wise? LS2 and LS7s in a fiero isn't performance oriented or going to put down numbers?

Btw A LOT of performance shops do not have in house dynos...

Not everything is about hp ratings and 1/4 mile.
I didnt say I expected him to have an inhouse dyno. But I guess I am the only one that would want the car fully tuned before it left the shop.

I would still like to see some of the other fiero swaps that have been done. 20 years, nothing but fieros, there should be some badass ones with V8s.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What do you have to do to the input shaft and flywheel to work correctly?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Smile

update time

Originally posted by Archie:

It's been 2 working days since the last update but we've got a lot done.

On Monday it was mostly trial fitting of the engine into the car & designing & making the prototype PS pump mount. Note, while we've finalized the PS pump mount design, the A/C mount will still have to be modified when we get the necessary idler pullies mounted.

Today the Coil covers came in. We had to trim them a bit to fit.

The headers here are the headers I use on the LS1,LS2 & LS3, The LS7 headers will have 1.75" primaries & 3" collectors. While the new headers are still being made, these headers give us a chance to make sure the new headers will have plenty of room.

At this point everything else we have to do to the engine mounting & belt routing can be done after the car has headed to paint.

Tomorrow will be dedicated to getting any more rust we can find on the chassis cleaned up & painting the chassis with POR15.

Archie
Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

What power steering rack will you be using?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

This has got to be the coolest swap I've seen yet. I've gotta admit, I'm a far cry from being a Fiero fan, but that thing looks great. With an LS7 it'll have performance to match the looks.

JCurtin: After reading this entire thread, I've got one thing to say to you. Shut up!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS4 swap
What power steering rack will you be using?
We're using the ZR1 rack similar to what you have in your PS thread.

Archie
Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been watching this thread and its time to comment.

Freaking Amazaing!!!!!

dyno numbers are useless...all that matters is how it runs
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Archie
We're using the ZR1 rack similar to what you have in your PS thread.

Archie
I have used a few alignment specs and even used custom knuckles on my 88 with the front lowered over an inch. The stock knuckles and stock manual specs work best. The power steeing specs for the 88 seem to twitchy. NOT a ride for the "lazy driver".
Never did the power steering on a pre88, so I dont know what would work best for you. But I would start with the stock specs and see how it feels before a custom alignment.

Nice job.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS4 swap
I have used a few alignment specs and even used custom knuckles on my 88 with the front lowered over an inch. The stock knuckles and stock manual specs work best. The power steeing specs for the 88 seem to twitchy. NOT a ride for the "lazy driver".
Never did the power steering on a pre88, so I dont know what would work best for you. But I would start with the stock specs and see how it feels before a custom alignment.

Nice job.
Thanks !! great info

Quick Reply: LS7 Fiero swap