Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Hose Blockoff???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Hose Blockoff???

I am installing a new crate LS1 into my sandrail and obviously I have no need for heater hoses. Is it ok to just plug the ports on the water pump? Also I just realized the thermostat housing is on the lower end, is it safe to assume this would go to the lower radiator Connection (outlet)?? Thanks, Rick.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Heater Hose Blockoff???

No you at least need to loop a hose to connect the tubes. You need this to keep coolant flowing over the thermostat. The thermostat hose goes to the lower port on the radiator ( opposite of older SBC) which is the inlet
Old 08-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Since my original post I have inspected the system carefully and it appears there would be enough heated/outlet water "leaking" internally past/over the thermostat to activate it as necessary. Of course if the heater hoses were looped there would be much more flow but this is all heated coolant that will also bypass the radiator (or what would be a heater core)and go directly back into the motor. Any other opinions? Thanks, Rick.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm you do have a point there. The ls1 thermostat does let water bypass through the center of it, and I guess if pressure became great enough it could push the whole hat up. ( forgot all about that) . I see your point about worrying about coolant not running through the radiator. I guess you could put a restricter in the hose just to be on the safe side. Hopefully some one else here will chime in. I don't believe a heater core restricts the flow that much. Gm did put a smaller nipple on the outlet port to it. Maybe that is the reason ? Hope I haven't hert more than helped
Old 08-11-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

I recently had a problem with blocking off the heater hose outlets on the water pump. I had them blocked off. When the car was idleing the car would overheat. I wasn't getting coolant flow at idle. If I raised the idle over 1500 rpm I would get coolant flow. I then looped the coolant hose. Now the car doesn't overheat at idle. I would loop the inlet and outlet.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

I blocked off my outlets and have had no probs with my motor. Thing runs as cool as a cucumber, even sitting in traffic.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the heater connected, and the valve Off (because maybe it's summer and 100* out), there ain't no flow joe. Capped inlet/outlet is the same dealio.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:27 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to dig this one up from the past, but where would I find plugs this size for the heater hose nipples?

What did everyone else use?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tony,
I think I used NPT 1/2 and NPT 3/8 pipe plugs (measure the holes first though because I'm not positive). Check out your local Ace Hardware or Home Depot for the plugs.

The tap and drill sizes for those are:

TAP DRILL
3/8-18 37/64
1/2-14 23/32

http://www.midstatesbolt.com/tap_drill_sizes.htm
Old 09-14-2004, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Here is just a note about this. I was just looking over the new Hot Rod magazine, and on page 65 there is an engine bay shot of the CTS-V race car. They use a very interesting arrangement for some of the coolan line routing.

On a side note, the intake on that car looks to be an LS7 unit and the heads are not 3 valve. Very interesting.

Andrew
Old 09-14-2004, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Scooter, what are you talking about on the drilling/tapping? I'm just talking about the two hose nipples on the passenger side of the water pump. Are there any slip-on band style plugs that I can put on there? Might use them later and don't want to cut them off.

The ones on the left in this photo: http://users.ev1.net/~ynot_dv8/69cam...s/engine07.jpg
Old 09-14-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

On the C3 Corvette, those nipples hit the front suspension, so we had to remove them and tap the aluminum casting. I guess this isn't an issue with 1st gen Camaros.

See the pic on 70LS1's webpage. I have no heater in my car so I just plugged the holes. Jeff does, so he had to put a couple of 90s on his H2O pump.

Sorry for the confusion.

edit: For some reason that link isn't coming up right in Netscape. You have to use IE.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yep, I have tons of room next to those in my 1st gen. I'm just wondering if they make large enough rubber plugs for that size tubing. Time to hit the Home Depot perhaps...
Old 09-14-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Yep, I have tons of room next to those in my 1st gen. I'm just wondering if they make large enough rubber plugs for that size tubing. Time to hit the Home Depot perhaps...
Tony they do make the rubber caps that go over the water pump fittings. I had them on my stock pump and they worked fine. I had to run around to a few parts stores but finally found some. They were on those Help racks you see at most auto parts stores.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Launchin It!

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
Tony they do make the rubber caps that go over the water pump fittings. I had them on my stock pump and they worked fine. I had to run around to a few parts stores but finally found some. They were on those Help racks you see at most auto parts stores.
I just drilled out the outlets and plugged them with freeze plugs. So far so good. I also put a little sealant behind the plugs.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Tony i think using the drill and tap method with plugs would look a lot cleaner under the hood. and you car is a show car so cleaner=better
Old 09-21-2004, 11:40 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Scooter, what are you talking about on the drilling/tapping? I'm just talking about the two hose nipples on the passenger side of the water pump. Are there any slip-on band style plugs that I can put on there? Might use them later and don't want to cut them off.

The ones on the left in this photo: http://users.ev1.net/~ynot_dv8/69cam...s/engine07.jpg
Napa sells a 2qty. package of 5/8" or 3/4". I use them when using third gen F radiators in G-bodies. They're like 2.99/2 but Autozone only has a 4.99 package of variety stuff that I don't need; no longer carries just the caps. Oh yah, email me if you need the Napa PN. Should have a spare pkg of 3/4 in the console.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Teching In

so does everyone agree that just looping some hose from one nip to the other will be just fine?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

check a thread I have running now for the latest thoughts, which are pretty much split.

My take on it is you should not block them off, you should have a heater valve with a bypass circuit in it so when the water isn't going to the heater core, it's being returned to the motor on the larger fitting.

I am using a GTO donor car and am trying to find someone who will give me a diagram of the heater hose routing. The GTo had a four-way valve.

Quick Reply: Heater Hose Blockoff???