Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok so what oil pan for LS1 in 55-57 Belair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok so what oil pan for LS1 in 55-57 Belair?

I was JUST about to buy the LH8 pan assembly but read that it was probably NOT a good idea for a lowered car for clearance reasons. My '56 WILL be dropped.

I know S&P sold a modified Fbody pan but there were some issues with them (that might not be true any longer) and they are expensive!

I'm just about ready to start ordering everything.

Also, I've looked into the BHRP kit as far as the motor mounts go.

Does the motor need to be moved forward to install the LS1? I thought Chevynut had pictures showing that it needed to but I see no mention of it when looking at the S&P mounts or the BHRP kit.

Thanks guys

Dan
Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

i modded my f body oil pan to fit my 64 buick wagon. i wasn't hard. i welded mine, but you could have any shop do it for less than $60 IMO. thats if you do the cutting and trimming, just take it to them to weld it. watch out for that pick-up. the f body pan looks like the simplest to me. maybe someone knows a pan that fits??

Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

i have a oil pan already made for an f body FOR SALE MAKE ME A OFFER
Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

just about ANY pan you can use is going to have to be modified. I think I'd use a truck pan and shorten it for ground clearance. It should clear the drag link as is.

Oh, I'm out of the Chevelle !!! Now I've got a '56 150 2 door post. A better car !!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Check Eckler's. They have everything you need to mount an LS1 type engine in a tri-five Chev: mounts, oil pans, headers, hardware... As a complete kit or separate parts. And they should all work together.
www.classicchevy.com
Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wave1957
Check Eckler's. They have everything you need to mount an LS1 type engine in a tri-five Chev: mounts, oil pans, headers, hardware... As a complete kit or separate parts. And they should all work together.
www.classicchevy.com

another page: http://www.classicchevy.com/product....dept%5Fid=1849
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jhaas
i modded my f body oil pan to fit my 64 buick wagon. i wasn't hard. i welded mine, but you could have any shop do it for less than $60 IMO. thats if you do the cutting and trimming, just take it to them to weld it. watch out for that pick-up. the f body pan looks like the simplest to me. maybe someone knows a pan that fits??

Hmm do you have a before and after pic?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

I have the Champ Racing Pans LS conversion pan in my Cutlass, could'nt be more happier, I dont know about your conversion as far the tri-five, but IMO I think its dimensioned like a standard SBC pan and if you are using SBC-LSx retrofit mounts it should go in.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AustinYukon
I was JUST about to buy the LH8 pan assembly but read that it was probably NOT a good idea for a lowered car for clearance reasons. My '56 WILL be dropped.

I know S&P sold a modified Fbody pan but there were some issues with them (that might not be true any longer) and they are expensive!

I'm just about ready to start ordering everything.

Also, I've looked into the BHRP kit as far as the motor mounts go.

Does the motor need to be moved forward to install the LS1? I thought Chevynut had pictures showing that it needed to but I see no mention of it when looking at the S&P mounts or the BHRP kit.

Thanks guys

Dan
we did a Belair just like this with a ls1 swap and we used a ls truck oil pan and it worked like a champ we did not have to modify it at all
if you have any questions feel free to give us a shout here at XTREME HORSEPOWER and we will be glad to help you out in any way that we can
Old 09-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Teching In

57 Bel Air with a complete 2" dropped IFS Rack & Pinion suspension kit from Classic Chevy. Used their LS1 engine mounting kit with their headers. It actually moved the engine back a bit (1/4" clearance to the firewall but with their engine mounts there are no worries about the engine rocking) Used their LS1 oil pan, again tight clearance with the Rack & pinion but it all fit. I wouldn't take it off-roading but I'm very comfortable with the oil pan ground clearance.

Quick Reply: Ok so what oil pan for LS1 in 55-57 Belair?