Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 street manners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 street manners?

I did a search, there is plenty ls7 tech, but i didnt find too much on hybrids.

Who here has an LS7 hybrid? How are the street manners. MY fathers project is a '64 Impala SS, and he is leaning towards the LS7 t-56, but i read in some magizines about bad street manners of the c6 z06.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.thecorpalaproject.com/
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HarrisonTX
but i read in some magizines about bad street manners of the c6 z06.
Most of those magazines you read probably have writers that are used to driving minivans and suvs and 3 series BMWs to even say a C6 Z06 has bad street manners....
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PM Chris442, he swapped and completed a 68 Camaro with a LS7 this year and cruised it for a few thousand miles in July / August, we meet up in Reno for Hot August Nights.. He is down in the Southwest (Az ?)

With all of those miles, he will be able to answer all of you drivability questions.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

While the block is different, the LS7 is essentially just a larger LS based engine with different angled heads and intake.

Purchasing a real LS7 crate engine is WAY overpriced so most people that have an LS7 just have the block outfitted with their own choice of internals, heads, cam, etc.

Street manners are directly related to the cam, tuning, the driver, and perception.

I could say my 505/502 maggie charged GTO has bad street manners and it does with drivers that are not use to all of that power. For me it drives just fine but it can have too much torque at times and spin when you really don't want it to.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 178 Likes on 116 Posts

I would look into a a 416ci (4" stroker crank in an LS3 block) or a 427/440ci shortblock with TFS 235/245cc heads (the 2 larger motors probably could use the 245cc version) and FAST 92/92 intake (ported of course). It will be much cheaper than an LS7 and have as good if not better parts as well

416ci with TFS 235cc heads and FAST 92/92 intake with a baby 236/236 115LSA .600" lift on 91 octane made 540rwhp/520rwtq!

The 440ci/TFS 245cc/FAST 92/92 combos are making 600rwhp+ on 91 octane!

My LS7 cost nearly $15K after you total up all the dry sump fittings, lines, tank, oil cooler, etc. I did have better rods/pistons installed and ported heads/intake/new cam. I should have my head checked for spending that much... but it will make good power in the 6500-7300rpm range. In the mid range it is a little softer as intake velocity is lower than smaller cc heads like the TFS ones. IMO the TFS heads are the best on the market miles ahead of the AFR's. Intake valve angle is better and smaller ports/intake valves keep air velocity up with the TFS units. If I could do it again.... I would've done a 416/TFS 235 combo; however when I built this motor the TFS heads weren't even out.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bczee
PM Chris442, he swapped and completed a 68 Camaro with a LS7 this year and cruised it for a few thousand miles in July / August, we meet up in Reno for Hot August Nights.. He is down in the Southwest (Az ?)

With all of those miles, he will be able to answer all of you drivability questions.

Chris and his Dad and I followed each other all over Reno, Lake Tahoe and out to the drag strip. We went on a Poker Run that took in over 120 miles of mountain and city driving. From my observation their LS7 T56 Camaro was totally street worthy. That includes idling through long slow cruises and parking lots at Hot August Nights. If there is a streetability problem it is excess power. Full throttle in either 1st or second gear had traction issues. This could be an problem if you are driving on wet pavement. From Phoenix to Minneapolis to Reno and back to Phoenix the only issue they had was an alternator that took a dump in Reno. Can't blame that on the LS7. ON top of that they were averaging 20 mpg!

Maybe Chris will chiime in.

Pat
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not really sure where they are coming from saying that it had poor street manners. I can't really speak to how it runs stock, but our cammed LS7 has run flawlessly for the 6500 miles we've put on it since July. Even with the cam, it runs very smoothly around town even down to 1100-1200 rpm in 5th and 6th gear. I doubt that any old carbed SBC or BBC could run that well without a very small cam.

With the engine stock, I'd imagine it'll run fine down to 1000 rpm or less. I saw on a Top Gear episode they started a Z06 in 5th from a stop and ran it up to about 160 without shifting.

I think most of the mags complaints were more related to the chassis and noise level inside the car. With the engine in a 40 year old car, it's just a totally different ballgame. Most of that stuff is up to the builder and how good the car is in general.

I think you'd be very surprised how easily the LS7/T56 drives and at the shear amount of power available under your right foot. In my experience, people that aren't used to LS motors really have a tough time understanding that a car that drives so nicely can make so much power.

Haha, Pat, here I am, right on cue.

Quick Reply: LS7 street manners?