Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help on this one

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008 | 08:14 PM
Teching In

Smile Need some help on this one

I am building a frame to make the suspension and drivetrain from an 2003 Z06 corvette fit in to my 67 Chevelle. I have run in to many issues, but right now am trying to figure out only a few small ones. Any help or info would be very appreciated.

if there is any rule on how to set up the upper controll arms to mount to the frame. I have taken a measurement from another Corvette that I have to see how far apart the upper and lower arms are where they mount to the frame. As I am making a frame for this project, I am trying to figure where to mount the upper control arms to this frame to be in the right posistion to have proper alignment. I figured that if I have the frame in a jig that I made, and have everything set at ride height, then I have the wheels level to try to get 0 degrees camber and the control arms should be in the right location to mount. Am I close on this one, or any other ideas?

#2 The C5 corvette uses a cradle for the front and rear suspension. I think that this is made out of aluminum, but not positive. I am going to need to cut out an inch or two out of the center of the front and rear cradle and re-join back togather. This needs to be done to make the wheel base fit in to the Chevelle for the width. Has anyone done this, or have any ideas on how I should go about it.

#3 The C5 uses a torque tube to connect the clutch to the transmission that is mounted in the rear of the car. I will need to lengithen this torque tube by about 14". I know that it is an aluminum housing that has a drive shaft in the center. Due to the fact that the drive shaft spins at engine speed, this will have to be handled carefully. Any ideas?

Any thoughts, links to other web sights, or pictuers of other like projects would help. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jim.
Old 02-16-2009 | 10:42 PM
Teching In

Default Ride height setting

I am also trying to figure what I should do for a ride height. I was thinking of building it at a 5" ride height. I am just guessing on this one. I do not want to go too low, or high. It is going to be a street car and not a track car, although it might get some track time, but that is not what it will be built for. Any ideas?

I am also still trying to see if there is any rule on setting up the upper control arms. I am just setting the wheels at 0 degrees and lining up the mounts, but due to the fact that I am building from scratch, again I am guessing.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Jim.
Old 02-17-2009 | 07:44 AM
rao
TECH Resident

I don't have any answers but I assume you have this spreadsheet http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/C5_s...dimensions.xls which might help.
Old 02-17-2009 | 05:45 PM
Teching In

Default Suspension spread sheet

No I did not have that. Thanks, that will help me. I have been going off measurements that I have taken off of a Corvette. I do appreciate the information.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2009 | 08:01 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Glad to help. I know that people have shortened the torque tube, so it can be done.
Old 02-17-2009 | 08:10 PM
Launching!

The torque tube has an aluminum driveshaft inside. Depending on your bugdet I have seen carbon fiber driveshafts in longer or shorter lengths.
Old 02-18-2009 | 08:16 AM
Teching In

Default trrque tube or drive shaft

I am also still not sure if i should use the torque tube and the corvette independent rear suspension and modify the chevelle body to make the corvette rear end fit, or not use these parts and use a normal trans set up with a solid axle.
Old 02-18-2009 | 09:45 AM
rao
TECH Resident

That depends on what your goals are. I would make the vette rear end work, but I bet a solid axle would be a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Need some help on this one