Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you done a Caterham install yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you done a Caterham install yet?

I'm super pleased with the LS1 and six speed in my Volvo 245 and now I'd like a proper chassis to really highlight the potential of this engine.

My idea is to stuff one in a Caterham Super 7 and I need information on how to do this. First off, will it even fit? The Caterham engine bay is designed for Ford Duratec engines. I sent an email to the factory and they said the did not know of a Caterham with a Chevy V-8 in it. Rocky Mountain Sports Cars have not even bothered to return my email.

Google search also proved fruitless.

The overall performance objective is to achieve 1200 horsepower per ton, a Caterham Super 7 (minus the engine) weighs 1,000lbs. Naturally to keep the car lightweight I'd need to shed as much weight as possible from the engine and it's accessories. Figure making 700 horsepower with the engine, preferably on pump gas. I believe the DeDion rear end that comes with a 7 will holdup to this, given the cars lightweight. From what I understand the T56 can handle this kind of power as well in a lightweight car.

The kit I plan on using is the Classic which is shipped minus engine and transmission.

Car will be a pure driving car, no weather kit, radio, or heater. If it doesn't make it go fast or corner hard I'm not interested.

If you have any experience or ideas on this project let me know. I think it would be a fantastic car to drive. The best car I've ever driven was a 7 with a Hayabusa engine in it. 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. Phenomenal. I want a faster one...

Last edited by cornerstoofast; 11-21-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone has in a locost.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-out-spin.html
Old 11-21-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS might be difficult to fit in there, but I'm sure it's doable. That's why they make sawzalls and welders.

Had you considered a forced induction ecotec? You can make ~450-500 RWHP out of one pretty reasonably, and it would be a lot easier to package (and much lighter).
Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Many years ago I saw a Caterham with a twin turbo Rover (Buick) 3.5 L V8 which I think is about the same sort of size as a LS1. The only thing is................ it didn’t quite fit under the hood and there were some ugly bulges/flaps etc..
Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 PM

I like that Locost. It gives me a good starting point, once I get the measurements of the engine compartment I can compare that to a Caterham and see whats what. Thank you.

As an alternate I had considered using the powertrain from a BMW M3 (E46). However that car has more computing power than the Space Shuttle and I don't think I would ever be able to get it to run properly. Primarily the traction control system would have a hell of a time adapting over. Just too technically sophisticated.

I think an LS engine is where it's at. Sophisticated in a delightfully simple way that only American engines can be.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

The fastest - and I mean by a LONG shot ... like three seconds a lap - car at my last track day this year was a Lotus clone with an LS3. Weighed 1600 or 1700 lb and made 480 hp. This is the hot ticket for roadracing since the hp/lb ratio is so high. Makes my measly 350 hp / 2300 lb car weak ...

Cameron
Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 AM

Definetely agree that lighter is better. However you need to have a light and stiff chassis.

My first project car was an Alfa Romeo Spider that I crammed a 5.0 roller and Tremec into. It was very light. It was very powerful. It handled very, very, very, very, very poorly. I can't even think of an analogy extreme enough to describe how badly the chassis flexed. I finally retired it when the windshied cracked. The windshield cracked because the car flexed so much accelerating out of a hard corner.

My 245 is an excellent handling, stiff, powerful car.

The Caterham will (I hope) be the middle ground between a 245 and an Alfa.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

I fitted a SBC and T5 into Tornado Raptor(like a 7 and Locost).It needed a lot of chassis mods even though Tornado is designed for Rover V8.So be prepared for alot of work,also pedal space very limited.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts

It'll fly, put some wings on it..lol
Old 11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Westfield offers a model called the "SEiGHT" which is designed to use the Rover V8. I've seen one of those with a Chevy stuffed inside. Mostly inside, anyhow.

The Caterham engine bay isn't designed for a Duratec specifically, but it is designed for an inline four. They've had a lot of different engines over the years. I've worked on one of the RST V8 cars, what a little jewel of an engine.

Given the amount of modification you'll have to make to that Caterham chassis and the price of Caterham parts, why not either go with a Westfield or build your own from scratch? If you are going to use a Caterham, I'd recommend an SV due to the wider chassis and roomier engine bay.

You've set yourself a lofty goal. At your 700 hp goal, you'll need to get the car down to 1167 lbs. That's a challenge with any car engine. Your transmission alone will be about 12% of the weight of the car!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id look at a Dax Rush chassis. they have run V8's and even 4WD v8 setups. they are also a load cheaper then the Caterham's/...

aslo the Dax, on the motorbike engined cars, have camber compensating suspension. it would be REALLY nice if you could use this with the V8!

by the way this is a build i have thought about for years! i think it would be seriously fast! i dont think you will need 700bhp...400bhp will probably be enough with all the torque you will have!

Chris.

PS scrap the T56! too heay and far too big! even the TVR guys cant use them. go for a TKO600 and be happy. they can take big block torque with no problems. will cost a bit mind you.....
Old 11-24-2008, 03:33 PM

Ok, I'm going to investigate the possibility of using another kit. The guys at RMSC said it would fit, I just wouldn't be able to use any of the bodywork between the cowl and the nose cone. Not exactly the look I'm going for.

One big hurdle I have is insurance. I have the worst driving record (speeding tickets) you could imagine. What attracted me to the Caterham was that State Farm would insure it for $250/month liability only.

So I need to find me a kit car that will hold a V8 and be cheap(ish) to insure.

I'd really much rather build up a C5 Vette but the insurance on that is $900/month liability only.

Anyway keep the ideas coming. Just picked up the complete drivetrain from a SS. So I have an LS1, T56, computer, etc. sitting in my shed. Still have around $39K to spend. Looking for something light, that corners well above average, and will crack 200mph.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how about a proper kit car?? something like this....

http://www.superlitecars.com/coupe_spec.html

would meet your goals and you wouldn't need 1000bhp to get there...

Chris.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

If you've ever driven a lightweight, you'll know that big and powerful is a totally different experience than light and not-as-powerful. That "Superlite" comes in at around 1000 kg, or 2200 lbs. Take 1000 lbs off that and the driving experience changes dramatically. I don't think you're going to be able to get any LS-powered car down to 1200 lbs, but I'd love to see someone try.

For reference, one of the lightest Caterhams made was the R400 run by Evo magazine a few years back. Carbon steering wheel, etc. It was in the 950 lb range from what I recall - and that was with a bike engine and transmission that weighs about as much as the T56. Westfield claims the R500 is about 1056 lbs, with the light K-series Rover four-cylinder. Caterham's claimed weights tend to be a bit on the light side, I've found that 1200-1300 lbs is more realistic generally speaking.

I'll bet you could get some of the bodywork on the Caterham to fit. You'll have to modify the bonnet, but since they're aluminum that's not too hard. If the side rails can stay, then so can the side panels. Again, aluminum so they can be modified. I'd still recommend an SV if you want to go Caterham, simply for the extra room to fit the engine.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

The locost site has all sorts of engine installs.

http://www.locostusa.com/
Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cornerstoofast
I'd really much rather build up a C5 Vette but the insurance on that is $900/month liability only.
Damn man, do you have speeding tickets or a vehicular manslaughter charge?
hahah

Quick Reply: Have you done a Caterham install yet?