Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Fed up, My 240sx LS1 is depressing me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008 | 07:22 PM
On The Tree

just so u know you 02 do count when it comes to wot where do u think that wot afr comes from it just makes it up? and let the internet battle cont............
Old 11-23-2008 | 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

it dosn't make it up, it uses other sensors like the ECT, IAT and MAP to calculate the needed fuel, I know that for a fact, cause my A/F ratio on the tiburon used to always go back to 14.7 even though I have just added fuel to the mixture using my piggyback under partial throttle / Closed Loop, but then 02 sensors return the mixture back to stock... but when I add fuel on Open Loop the car accepts the change and dosn't change what I have inserted into the mixture... it then starts accepting 12.5 and 12.1 A/F ratio... so no lets not start a stupid internet battle... stop Hijacking and changing the subject on this thread... thanks...

Last edited by wajouba; 11-23-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2008 | 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
No if you unplug the MAF it should run the same if its good. it just runs in speed density. If that MAF were bad it would run like crap with it plugged in. Are you sur eyour MAP sensor is working properly?
Yes bro, my MAP sensor is working fine, because I just changed it to a new one... cause the old one was damaged in the Camaro's Accident...

so Im left with handfull of fixes that I need to finish up...

ECT, Most important for now...
PCV somewhat important...
and the OBD2 Connector to check for exact codes...

Shawn ur of great help bro...
Old 11-24-2008 | 10:05 AM
On The Tree

well on your ls1 it counts this isnt a tiburon and it share nothing common with it. but on a helpful note if if the map is bad or not correctly wired(did that mysel once) it can cause what your talking about. since you dont have a scanner try turning the key to the to run postion and remove the pcm ing, and pcm bat fuses, wait 5 min, turm it off and put the fusess back in then start this clears codes includin limp mode which is what sounds like is going on here and forces the pcm to go into relearn, also what year pcm and harness are you using? also if you do get a scanner chech for a 5 vlot reference code relating to the map easy way to tell if it is a problem there.
Old 11-24-2008 | 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pewter02z28gs
well on your ls1 it counts this isnt a tiburon and it share nothing common with it. but on a helpful note if if the map is bad or not correctly wired(did that mysel once) it can cause what your talking about. since you dont have a scanner try turning the key to the to run postion and remove the pcm ing, and pcm bat fuses, wait 5 min, turm it off and put the fusess back in then start this clears codes includin limp mode which is what sounds like is going on here and forces the pcm to go into relearn, also what year pcm and harness are you using? also if you do get a scanner chech for a 5 vlot reference code relating to the map easy way to tell if it is a problem there.

Thanks for the good info, I didn't know this is how to restore the stock reading of the pcm, see this is again good info online that I have just got... Ironicly from the person who was just bashing me trying to find help online.. hehe no hard feelings bro im just messing with you... and this is off great help man, thanks for ur contribution... I will get back to you for this if I have any problems...
Old 11-24-2008 | 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Haha you're bad luck. I went to start my car this morning as its sat in my trailer for a couple weeks now, and it its sputtering back firing horribly. I am running 22:1AFR on the passenger bank and 18:1 on the driver bank and i have no freakin idea why as it just sits in my locked trailer. This thing purs like a kitten even in 30 degree weather with the carb so now i gotta do some diagnosing lmao.
Old 11-24-2008 | 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wajouba
it dosn't make it up, it uses other sensors like the ECT, IAT and MAP to calculate the needed fuel, I know that for a fact, cause my A/F ratio on the tiburon used to always go back to 14.7 even though I have just added fuel to the mixture using my piggyback under partial throttle / Closed Loop, but then 02 sensors return the mixture back to stock... but when I add fuel on Open Loop the car accepts the change and dosn't change what I have inserted into the mixture... it then starts accepting 12.5 and 12.1 A/F ratio... so no lets not start a stupid internet battle... stop Hijacking and changing the subject on this thread... thanks...
If your used to driving a tiburon, an ls1 in any light car should feel light years faster.

There is something seriously wrong with your engine, again if your used to driving a 15 second car and your ls1 powered car feels slow you have to be down 2 cylinders. Honestly I daily drive a 14 second car (has some pep but its not fast by my standards) I jumped into my ls1 powered rx7 for the first time and still cant roll into the throttle without blowing street tires off it. The only factory car that I've driven that it reminds me of is when I drove a viper.
Old 11-24-2008 | 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

yeah bro, But I had an Assassin supercharger kit on it... Eaton MP90, with a Water to Air Cooled Manifold... 460 CNC machined injectors, Mafterburner piggy back, + a single angeled exhaust and headers AEM CAI, Bla Bla... let me post a video... my car vs. a 14.8 quarter mile Tiburon (red) mine was yellow, my Tiburon was a 12.68 car... (18" T1R Toyo's)

I just wanted to show u guys my old ride, anyhow I know what you mean... that it must be really underpowered... but to be truthfull I feel its in limp/safe mode, cause of all the sensors and crap load of Fuel that probably also burnt my plugs... in a week or so, Im going to get a 1000$ from someone who owe's me and Im going to start giving it a new revision of everything plus installing the new ECT, PCV, and OBD2 connecter... but for now, Im a broke university student
Old 11-24-2008 | 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQGElZ-vOIM

This is my old tiburon (yellow) vs. Red Tiburon I/H/E, Fuel Tuner + MSD timing... 1/4 = 14.8
Old 11-25-2008 | 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

And ECT should only be like $30 and Autozone or Pep boys or anywhere should have it in stock.
Old 11-25-2008 | 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Well seeing as you've had time at the track you should know that this car should be faster than your tiburon if its running right.

With a pretty much bone stock engine, your car should run high 11s/ low 12s at about 115mph. If you have any work done to it that number gets better quickly.

What rear end gears are in the 240s?
Old 11-25-2008 | 07:00 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure this is what your faced with , but when I first finished my Ls1/4l60E RX7, I had a lot of "bugs" in it to work out. It didn't shift the way I thought it should, it had low power.

I found out through a friend it may have been in limp mode, I also found out my stock RX7 fuel pump was lacking the capacity to keep up with the LS1. Sure, it would run the engine, but under WOT initial crack, the pressure would just fall to 35 PSI. Not near enough for the LS1. A new fuel pump took care of that problem. but that wasn't all of it.

Being that my project took about 2.5 years to get up and running, I had some issues with that fact it sat so long. I ran a can of seafoam through the tank, through the PCV valve, and WOW. It woke right up! I also put about 4 ounces in the trans and it started to work right within about 1 or 2 miles.

Since then I've put on over 4000 miles as well as about 10 passes at the track. She pulls low to mid 12's all day now. :-) and still gets about 25 MPG (if I can keep my foot out of it) Yes its tough to do!
Old 11-25-2008 | 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

man, this is something extremely similar to my case, but I do have a 255 walboro, and my car took 1.5 years to finish... my gear box was also going thru 1st and 2nd only and then when I drove a bit it came back to life again and went into 3rd but not 4th YET!!!...

your post gave me hopes up that soon Im going to have the car I really want to have, thanks... how did u put ur PCV? Stock or went with a catch can?
Old 11-25-2008 | 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

oh yeah I ordered once sea foam from the states to Saudi Arabia when I used to live there for my Tiburon, because sea foam is not found in the middle east... so is there any substitutes or alternatives I can use?

I need to check this limp mode thing, but first the PCV + ECT sensor must be installed first, then Im going to attempt and try it... for now its useless since its going to go back to limp mode without them...
Old 11-25-2008 | 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pewter02z28gs
forgot to answer ur question bro, my PCM and Wiring are all 98 and stock... nothing changed or altered...
Old 11-25-2008 | 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wajouba
Yes bro, my MAP sensor is working fine, because I just changed it to a new one... cause the old one was damaged in the Camaro's Accident...

so Im left with handfull of fixes that I need to finish up...

ECT, Most important for now...
PCV somewhat important...
and the OBD2 Connector to check for exact codes...

Shawn ur of great help bro...
The diagnostic link (OBD2 connector) should be first on the list. Without this you are just shooting in the dark, getting frustrated, and parts replacing. This will lead you to your problem, although it may not spell it out for you
Old 11-26-2008 | 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sciff5
Well seeing as you've had time at the track you should know that this car should be faster than your tiburon if its running right.

With a pretty much bone stock engine, your car should run high 11s/ low 12s at about 115mph. If you have any work done to it that number gets better quickly.

What rear end gears are in the 240s?
The rear diff is 4.11 on the non-VLSD, but I have the Hicas VLSD and I guess its the same but I'm not sure...

Okay I contacted EFI connections for the OBD2 and this is there answer...

We currently only accept PayPal and US Postal Service Money Orders.
I apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you,
Mike
EFI Connection
http://www.eficonnection.com
814-566-0946

And paypal isn't supported in my country I can't sign up for it, what can I do?! I always face this problem everybody demands paypal and I can't join paypal... wtf?!
Old 11-26-2008 | 08:18 AM
On The Tree

No one is bashing you per say. It's just that you are chasing your tail.
One needs a prioritzed set of steps for repairing your malay.

Step 1) Data Link Connector

Step 2) Scan and see what else is missing from the equation

Step 3) Repair what is missing and test.

Step 4) Go back to step 2. Because you missed doing a baseline mechanical check on the engine you might chase your tail a bit more.

But you get the idea. You've spent more time answering posts that would be more easily answered with a quick scan of the ECM. Good info min equals good info out. Racer's would say "garbage in garbage out". Get the right info FIRST instead of guessing.

No one is mad or bashing you. Just trying to help you get to the point or problem withoput guesswork.

Good Luck
Old 11-26-2008 | 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Check my post the one right on top of yours... Im trying to get the OBD2 connector but it is not availible here in Lebanon (my country) and noone in the states are accepting Credit Cards or Internet Cards they all want Paypal, and paypal dosn't list my country on their country list, so Im not being able to buy crap!!!
Old 11-26-2008 | 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Surely you can send a money order ?

Quick Reply: I'm Fed up, My 240sx LS1 is depressing me!!!